Who would be on your survival team?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Lisa, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    What kinds of people would be useful to have on your survival team? A doctor, farmer, carpenter? Who would you choose if you were going to make a super survivor group?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ray Mears.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Most anyone who can work in a team!
    Not much point in having skilled members if they are complete tossers!
    Teamwork, cooperation, diligence is more important than skills!

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Best case scenario: Deadpool and Blade would be on my super survival team. But alas, we are unfortunately not part of the Marvel universe.
    I really don't know how I'd choose people to hang with for survival. As Arkane said, it makes no sense to have a team if you're going to be at one another's throats. Better to have people you're compatible worth working together and sharing knowledge. However, seeing how that kind of trust doesn't happen quickly -- as anyone who's done group work will tell you -- perhaps there is no "ideal" survival group.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is no such thing as an ideal group-survival or otherwise, it either works or it dosent, and invariably it dosent.
    the problem I have with teams is" There is no I in teams"!!

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I think I know what she means as "TEAM MEMBERS". What the OP actually means is the type of skill sets that people can have and contribute to the survival group. For example, having everyone in the group that are carpenters will not help in identifying herbs for medicinal purposes. So with that being said, my group will have these skill sets:

• doctor/medical practitioner
    • hunter/gatherer - that includes knowledge of cooking
    • herbalist - being able to identify natural remedies and eatible plants
    • entomologist - insect will be a alternative source for protein
    • scientist/engineer/mechanic - in charge of building energy sources
    • carpenter - that includes general labor
    It is cherry picking, but if we had time to really prep for the end of times, these are but a few of the skill sets my group would need to be specializing in.

7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely want a medical Doctor. I think that goes without saying. I would also love to have someone that has experience with plants. It'd be nice if someone had the ability to identify various plants. It would be useful to have someone with experience with trapping and killing animals, so that I wouldn't have to worry so much about food. There's so many useful people in this world that it's hard to think of everything at once. Overall, I would want a doctor to make sure I had medical help when needed.

8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Well in my group at present there are
    3 security guards
    2 mechanics
    1 cook/herbalist
    2 hunters/fishermen
    1 nurse
    1 certified genius/nutter
    1 dopey dora
    1 jack of all trades
    1 ex-con
    2 kids
    1 spider man
    1 farmer

Lisa likes this.
  9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We have seven marines one army and our families a bunch of redneck hillbillies o

10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Medical personnel. People trained in primitive skills. Hunters. Archers. Fortunately we have these in our family group.
    Keith.

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Two nurses a emt a mechanic we all hunt and fish im a farmer mechanic carpenter we all have skills that are useful we are good freinds are work together well as a team

12. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:

Thanks joshposh that's what I was getting at, I have a little medical knowledge myself and my Mum does too so we would probably get by ok with that, my mums partner is good at fishing, knows his plants and is a carpenter so that would be useful. I think I would try and find a mechanic or engineer too.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    me.......period, I don't "do" other people and prefer to be alone.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the context, in general I wouldn't bring too many people with me because they're harder to coordinate. I would definitely bring a person that is a good doctor, a couple of hunters and people that are jack-of-all trades, who know their way around everything and can survive decently. I'd also bring farmers, that way we don't have to worry about food too much.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If I would have to choose a survival team, it would depend on my knowledge of the person and not much on his professional qualification. For example, a doctor may turn out to be a liability if his psyche is anathema to a survival situation. Even an expert carpenter may not be able to build a shelter if he is in a panic condition or totally stressed out.

For a realistic choice, first in my list is my husband for he is an adventurer with lots of experience in near-survival cases. Second is my sister who happens to be a nurse but I would choose her for her guts and courage. Her husband is a physician but I wouldn't take him because he is easy to be scared. My niece who is a sales person is also a good choice because she is fond of exploring and a deserted place would pose a challenge to her. Maybe I would get another guy with muscles to help us with manual work but right now I have no name and face.

16. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    People that match my personality. Having people around you with a certain skill set is great but not getting along with someone and often disagree on the choices you'd have to make is terrible. But if I had to pick based on skills someone with a medical background would definitely be nice.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the larger the group the more chances there are for disagreements.
    in the UK I think all groups will be of the family "unit" type and family only.....well, blood IS thicker than water!!:D

18. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Good and interesting thread. Definitely don't want too many but the ones you have, make sure they can contribute in some fashion to the effectiveness of your group. I'm skilled at a few things and trying to gain more information about the rest of it. So definitely a jack of all trades. Another key person I think is the ultimate weapon-will do whatever is necessary to protect his/her family. Last but not least, someone who is extremely familiar with plants and herbs to know what cures what, what is edible and what is not.

19. Tim Collum

Tim Collum New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I personally would not have a "team". Yes, later down the road, it would be good to join a group for defense, if you felt you could trust them. But my family and I would be the only ones I would trust in the beginning. There are 5 of us in my household. That's enough to start with, and enough to help with immediate survival.

20. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My brother-in-law. He is an excellent fisherman, hunter, and a survivalist. He may not use that title, but he is one. He has his own animals like chickens and goats. He is very friendly so he has made friends who are also growing their own food and they trade off items. When disaster strikes, I want to have him around.

21. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a difficult one. I would definitely have my dad. He was a formal marine so he has already experienced a lot of situations. I would also choose a doctor, that way if something really bad happened they would know what was going on and the steps necessary to make it better. I would have a dog, or maybe two. I would of course want all of my family with me so that I could help to protect them. But if there was a way the y could avoid being in a situation that required a lot of survival skills, I would prefer they were far away from me and safe.

22. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would like to call myself a 'jack-of-some-trades', so I got cooking, foraging, caring for any kids, hunting smaller game, farming, fishing, etc down as a skill if needed, but I would definitely take my grandfather and my uncles. They are all great mediators, very good hunters and fisherman, and all of them together have a compendium of survival and nature knowledge with each versed well enough in carpentry or mechanics to keep us moving or fortify a place to stay.

23. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely like a doctor or nurse. My next member would be Daryl off walking dead, and he would take care of the hunting and tracking. I would also like to include a mechanic and engineer.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can think of maybe 3 or 4 people-friends I have known for over 35 years and would trust with my life- but unfortunately they are not preppers and they all live in my old home city I left 17 years ago and I doubt they would be able to get out of there in time, even if they thought about doing it which I somehow doubt.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nice thinking, but unless they are on your "team" pre collapse I doubt you will find such people afterwards.

26. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Is this a hypothetical question? If so I'd go with Ray Mears. He presented a load of outdoor survival shows here in the UK and has a wealth of knowledge.

27. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    So your team will have a military man, a Doctor, maybe a botanist with a uni degree!

Instant failure there unless you out rank them by a clear margin!
    The military man WILL take charge as that's his job! The Doctor will doctor all as he is the most learned
    and the botanist will be nearly useless at anything but botany!

With the above on board it is not your group! unless you have a phd or something special!
    The doctor and the military man will assume there skills make them the boss!

28. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There are some skills that are indispensiable in any survival situation. I would for example do with an emergency medical technician,a sharpshooter and a martial artist. To cap the list, a pastor and a close friend will take case of my emotional and spiritual needs. However, most survival situations in real life require you to be all the above rolled into one, huh!