Why Can't There Be A Forum Only About Prepping And Survival...???

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Sourdough, Jun 19, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I honestly don't understand why there can't be a forum that only deals with Prepping and Survival, all types of prepping and all types of survival.

Why do forums attempt to be all things to all people....??? If I want jokes and humor, in mega second I can be on a forum with hundreds of thousands of jokes and humor. If I want financial information, in one click I can get the latest quotes anywhere in the world.

I simply don't understand why forums try to fill all possible cravings for information on all possible subjects. I don't come here to see the top nine recent posts are jokes and humor, I don't come here to see current Alaska weather predictions for the next five days.

I come here to interact with very knowledgeable people from around the world about all things Survival and prepping.

2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump to start.........and why do we have to bump to get a new thread active......???

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME,

There is the "narrow" view and the "broad" view of definitions...involving just about much of all subjects.

Recall the Reader's Digest section titled "Humor in Uniform". I'm preparing an article for a FEMA pub with some "humor" terms for otherwise serious readers who get their humor elsewhere. There is value in the humorous term "hurricane decor" (beer cans and cellophane chip bags on the side of the road), "economy class" and "I didn't think...".

Jokes do contain knowledge that's sometimes missed.

Sometimes the subject-matter knowledgeable will not participate at a forum unless it's broad in it's view as to what's acceptable within the forum confines.

Still, don't feel lonely. I must put up with multiple briefings of weather that are just too exacting for my use. I don't care if flood waters are arriving at Coastal Virginia in 2 hours. I do care whether the roads are open. We have buchu Mario Andrettis here - like elsewhere.

IBME; Hold off glancing at the pulp Wall Street Journal nowadays. Much is not about it's traditional subject matter. Our society has changed.

4. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    What survival/prepping topic would you like to discuss, or question you would ask? I would be happy to participate.

6. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Same here.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know what you mean & I do agree, but different people want different things. We are left with the choice to go where we will given the options available.
    I once belonged to a Black Powder pistol club in the Territory, I saw a lot of things going on there that I did not like. Members drinking & shooting, one time there was a bloke out on the range standing up steel targets as they were knocked down! People loading with muzzles facing other people, A bloke trying to ram a stuck ball on a rifle by pushing the ramrod against a post behind which were families. One day I spoke to the head honcho there & told him this sort of thing had to stop. He told me that when the club started it was mainly for shooters & families to socialize, & he did not want to upset anyone!!!
    I left that club. Some time later I heard that one of the members had been shot. No doubt a social shooting!!!

But here on this forum we can afford to ignore what we don't like, members can put other members on their ignore list, & you can choose to ignore posts that offend you. I do know where you are coming from, but I also think that this is one of the best survival forums available to us at this present time.
    With respect & regards, Keith.

8. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There are all types pf prepping and financial prepping is something that I practice as well as food prepping. I absorb ideas as well as share mine.

You and I have belonged to other sites where there was more of the side banter than here. That helps keep the site flowing when there is a slower prepping input. I try to start prepping threads as much as possible that bring the site back to the subject. It's the members that start the threads not the site. I ignore certain threads, do we really need 17 music threads? I don't expect to be interested in every thread, nor to have every member be interested in all the threads that I start. We are a diverse group with diverse desires and experiences and ideas. I prefer to put instructive information into my posts but if I can inject humour in as well that is a bonus.

9. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Me too...Me too....

10. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    It's like asking why there is a tootsie roll in a MRE

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, I've been on quite a few forums and I always wondered why they didn't stick to prepping and survival.
    do we need politics and religion just to name two?
    it seems some members just love to talk about non survival stuff, don't know why, that's not why I came on forums, I came to learn stuff about prepping and that is all.

12. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow IMBE.....just Wow!!!!!

and again here..

And here..

LOL LOL LOL IMBE..LOL LOL!!!

Last time I checked it is called LIFE and People think and prepare differently to survive it..

Not all people out here are stamped out Xerox copies...of the same thinking pattern.

And if you have to make this kind of statement....you are not all things to all people....or all subjects ...much as you would like to tailor this to your religious beliefs...zeal.

Life can be difficult when we discover we are not sitting on the only one in town.

It is called 'Life" IMBE>... "Life."

Da Tovarich!!!???

And Keith H.....well said...well said!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:

So your OK if I post 200 jokes every night for a few weeks, then up it to 400 jokes every night. It would not be spamming as this forum has a place for jokes.

I see prepping and survival as drop-dead serious shit........not a joke.

14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:

The Innkeeper likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    absolutely:cool:

16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    It seems that many view prepping for Survival as entertainment. And they read Survival forums for entertainment. Strange, as for me entertainment is a good novel. I have not had a TV'thingie for over twenty years.

17. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, politics is closely related to prepping. The political situation is a big reason why many people prep. Survivalism is a large part of prepping.

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot of people join forums for the social element, I have known a few like this, I would not refer to them as preppers.

19. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think most are a little bit preppers, and are entertained reading about the "Nut'Job" people who they secretly feel are bat'spit crazy at the level they prep for, and the silly possible stuff they visualize could become a harsh reality.

While they loudly denied they truly expect help from outside to save them, they know in that deepest hidden truth, that really do expect someone will save them in the event of a Massive Long-term SHTF event.

20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    IMBE.......are you attempting to herd people here...into your corner??? You know....like cattle...control and regulate them to your views.

I will ask you the same question I asked a LGBT Woman...who was trying to blame the worlds ills in front of me on Rich White Heterosexual Males.

After she had sufficiently ranted on and on and on and on...I stopped her and simply asked the citation ..in the law book where these people...White Heterosexual Rich Males......had broken a law...what was the statute number so I can look it up.

It took several times before she had to admit that no law was being broken.

People come in all varieties...shapes and sizes...we are not all stamped out like on a Xerox Machine.

When I get frustrated with a site and or people ...I separate from them.

Come out from amongst them and be ye separate. Not difficult.

Now....I don t like to be herded...and I have my doubts about this site as well....

From time to time I note that questions are asked which seem a bit intrusive....like fishing or mining for specifics...

I have simply made note of it....as I am making note of your frustrations.

When I get tired of a site I leave it for awhile as I have done to a UK prepping site.

About this ......seriousness...

This is Hurricane country ..it is serious...and your point is noted.

I just got done reloading 101 rounds of .38 special and have another 57 rounds of the same to reaload....serious business.

Then moving on to .40 S&W...

Before the .38 Special I reloaded over 100 rounds of .308 Winchester...serious business.

In my occupation we have just completed handling two reactors full of U 235...serious business.

I just picked up two new shortwave sets with SSB capability and I often monitor the Ham bands around the country ..and particularly the Morse code section...serious business.

Have my own transmitter and home made antennas....and amplifier to match..generators and
    and DC power too.....serious business..

Taught myself morse code...because I know that all too often complex systems such as cell phone and this computer ... fail when one least expects it. Have a backup..or contingency position...if you can...serious business

How does that saying go about plans going south on first contact???

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

21. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not leaving........easier to just put you on IGNORE...........Bye-Bye.

22. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    You can post as many jokes as you like.
    No one is forced to read anything they don't want to.

As long as it's posted in the proper section, it's not "spamming" and those who don't want to see it don't have to look.

The only way to control a forum is to own the forum.
    It seems to me control is what you really want.

No one makes you open threads that aren't strictly "prepping and survival".
    That's your choice alone.

23. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL
    Put everyone on ignore and you'll finally have a forum that's exactly what you want.
    ;)

24. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I really do not see what the problem is. If a topic is not of interest then most people simply don't read it.

I do closely follow politics and news. I think there is a high probability that it will directly affect the need to prepare. I want to keep tabs on what is going on for this reason especially. I tend to share what I find so others can also be aware. The humor thread was already here so I use it. I enjoy it from time to time and it is a nice distraction from the gruel of everyday life.

I know that IBME did not like the music thread as he commented negatively right away. The next day it was removed. I was told it was accidental and that is all good. Accidents happen. I am new here so at first I thought it was not allowed even though I read the description carefully before I posted in it. I am guessing that the ADMIN set up the sections but I do not know. If so I am guessing that he saw a need for each section here. While I realize there is a preparedness need for radios and I own a few, I do not find the topic of interest so I simply do not venture into that section. Now if I feel a need to learn more (which I should do) I will go in there and ask stupid questions but I'm not going to be upset because others enjoy talking radios.

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen a lot of the type forums that are rigid and ONLY on-topic posts and posting allowed. they don't last long. People come here because they have gotten to know each other and to some extent are friends. that doesn't happen in a board that doesn't allow people to just visit and get to know each other. It is a little like the bar in the TV show Cheers. A place that you can go where everybody knows your name. Those places last for decades. A bar with music so loud that nobody can talk seems to come and go. That is the difference between someplace to go and get drunk and someplace you go to relax.

There are forums for all manner of things here. If you don't like humor don't go there. If you have no interest in just getting to know us then don't go to the forums set up for that. Personally, I have learned more here than in most places like this. That is in part because I have gotten to know the people here and gained new insights into the wildly different worlds that we all live in.

I honestly couldn't imagine living as Keith and Lone Wolf live but from each, I have learned a LOT. In their adapting to a different world they offer me ideas that I would never have had to think of. Where they live guns are rigidly and heavily regulated. Where I live you start getting your own guns at about 9. At nine you get a shotgun, at 12 you get a 22 rifle, at 16 you get a deer rifle and between 18 and 21 you get your first handgun. I don't know anybody that doesn't have a gun and nowadays most of the women have a concealed carry license. The world that I live in is so wildly different from most places even in the US.

It is from the differences that we learn. First, though you have to get to know that there are differences.

26. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    you really think there are people who waste time reading a forum that is full of stuff they don't believe in, who think it is a joke, and enjoy thinking the forum users are nut jobs? That's some boring hard-up for entertainment people! Or on the other hand, you think that some people are not really preppers but they come here for the social interaction and are not truly preparing for survival but like to pretend and act as if they are?
    Maybe you feel like you are amongst traitors. I don't know. Everybody has to start somewhere and for some of us, like me, this is the beginning. I'm not entrenched. I live in a small city. There's room for improvement.
    You seem to be the lone survivor. That's fine. You are like the one true example of one who will survive. The majority of the rest of us live in the world.
    There wouldn't be hardly a soul posting here if it were limited to only any topic on survival and prepping. The rest of us come up for air. you are fully acclimated to your lifestyle. The rest of us can only hope or aspire to be even 10% as prepared as you are.

27. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL...I'm not that sensitive IMBE. I am not suggesting you leave...you are driving your bus...not me.

I am stating that it is what I do ...leave..or even take a hiatus from a site.

You drive your bus however you want. Just don't try to Herd the rest of us.

When I tire of this site or any other...I put it away for awhile.

Some of us here on this site are well aware that we are not sitting on the only on in town.

Bon Appetite!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

Post Script...

I just realized I don't know how to use the ignore function...

Nor these smiley faces or such symbols you see on some sites.

But then again ...it was never very important to me to use the ignore function....nor the smiley face symbols.

Ignore I carry with me all the time and am not dependent on a computer to do this for me.

Not really very computer literate here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  28. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I censor nobody and I do not place anybody on ignore. If their posts are meaningless to me, then I simply skip by them. I don't cook but will look at food posts. I am almost deaf, so the music posts are useless to me unless they have captions or show the lyrics. I am still glad that folks post them and I do check to see if I can read the words to the tunes. The point is, one size does not fit all but we are FREE TO CHOOSE what we want to read /watch.

29. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical....and others.

That is precisely my beef with most of the media....censorship.

I have known this about most of our media for over 35 years now....by listening to foreign stations when they would broadcast the news in English...and began to figure out how rigged our media is...including the fabled Fox News.
    Short wave clued me into this pattern and knowledge about our media long before home computers were available.

I had some slack time last night at work and tuned my shortwave set there to a 40 foot long wire antenna I have strategically placed and listened to news on the shortwave bands. I switched between short wave bands and the local outlets for news and information.
    As my shortwave set will also pick up Single Sideband transmissions ..I will, at times, tune in the Ham bands to see what the hams know about news events.

I know sufficient that all the media here in the states are gas lighting us about the drone shot down by the Iranians...Knew it from the beginning.....and yes...Fox News too.

I dislike censorship ...to me it is no different from "Herding." I will make up my own mind and for my own reasons.
    Hence I have a great distrust of the media....and even much of what tries to pass for public education today. It too is become censorship...herding.

Correct indeed....one sized does not fit all.

I saw enough of that Under the Obama administration..one size fits all....and Herding...censorship.

Unless of course you are a "Victim." A protected group.

Someone is still trying to advance this kind of herding today.

My suspicion is that by the 2016 election .....a sufficient number of Americans had enough of this kind of censorship/herding by the media and for political purposes of the parties and so voted.

And someone out here is really really pissed about it...and badly overcompensating.

All they know how to do is censorship....ie...herding. They cannot change their spots...

Hence they must need us to change our spots.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the ignore filter. Life is too short to waste my time reading the crap that rolls out of a troll's mouth. I've only used it once and it was really nice. I wish that I could do it in real life...on second thought I guess that I have. There have been people that I just quit listening to and ignore even in my family. Why would you want to hang out and deal with a spiteful idiot?

Unfortunately, some places just totally devolve into jungles where the trolls take over and EVERY thread ends up in an argument. I love the fact that here, we are allowed a certain level of variance but being just plain rude isn't acceptable. Disagreements are spice and a pleasure, arguments are stupid. Without some level of censorship, the crazies take over the asylum!

31. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You are so correct on this post @watcherchris . Fox News has now put Paul Ryan the "Never Trumper and RINO" on their board. They have hired Barbara Braziel as one of their contributors. Hope Hicks who was on Donald Trump's team is now their director of communications and may be being utilized as an inside source on how the Trump team is run. Also the two Murdoch sons have taken over control of Fox News a few years back. I believe the plan for Fox News is to use it as a tool to change the minds of conservatives and RINOS who do not realize the change that FOX News has undergone and may believe anything that they see on that news source as unbiased truth.
    Even the front page has recently undergone noticeable changes and now posts a lot of what I call "fluff" news and sexual teasers rather than political news.

Breitbart News has also undergone some change recently since Steve Bannon left there who was instrumental in helping get Donald Trump elected. <More Fluff is also being posted on the main pages of Breitbart news as well.

One can simply begin scouting news sources around the world and you will notice major American news stories that are never touched upon by any American news sources but should be. whether left leaning news sources in the US or right leaning news sources.

In today's news world one has to go hunting for genuine news and believe me it is not easy to find any more. You have to take every story you read with a grain of salt and go looking for confirmation on numerous different sources to even begin to find what may be truth.

I have heard that the reason behind the want for war with Iran is simply to push the oil prices back up and to bolster the US Stock Market. Donald Trump is most definitely all about pushing the US Stock market up for probably numerous reasons. We know the market has been the one major claim of success that Trump has utilized the past two years. I would think considering how he came from the big business side of things that it benefits a lot of his associates as well.

Oil prices and natural gas prices are very low right now and gold is on a major upswing. Gold spot price is at $1399.50 per ounce today. Silver is also on an upswing but still not at the level it should be. Silver spot price today is $15.35 per ounce.

32. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Watcherchris,

I'm into shortwave also. Don't even call the domestic orgs "media". Besides the mentioned Fox, even today's weekend Wall Street Journal shows a "slant" - not an editorial slant: that's OK and expected. WSJ has recently changed.

From shortwave, I can assemble the events related to the drone shot down and can guess what the overall picture is . . . . . . guess: I don't know.

Team Trump does not have a Secretary of Defense as of now and the confirmation is weeks away. That 5-sided building has got to be under the control of the White House or Hades could be pending. I learned from both WSJ and SW that the air carrier restrictions also encompass Mali and South Sudan. MH 17 "accident" taught us that the European air traffic system can be closed down - if - .

My guess, as per my SW gleanings is that tomorrow's ICE operations might allow for POTUS to get the political support needed to pursue Middle East matters. It was announced here that Los Angeles was one of the 10 cities. SW mentioned that San Francisco is also on the list. As serious as all this is, SW mentioned that the Mayor of Oakland would not cooperate with Fed authorities.

Enough of my Saturday PM rambling. My shortwave radios give me better info than Fox. (Plural on the radios; for different configured BOB kits.

33. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see any ICE operations ever happening. As longs as President Trump continues to make threats and then delay it usually means nothing is going to happen ever.
    Does he really think that the Dems are going to make a deal? That isn't their "MO".

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-announces-a-two-week-delay-to-planned-ice-deportations

Trump announces two-week delay to planned ICE deportations

34. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Last Outlaw,

It's PRIMARILY about obtaining the needed political support for other matters. Whether 2,000 cases are started on Sunday or not is mechanical.

It's the political support the White House needs or "foreign entities" can overwhelm the big USA because we're divided.

What's going on now, I do not know.

The Innkeeper, Radar and LastOutlaw like this.
  35. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LastOutlaw,

I am aware that there has been a change in Fox News but was not familiar with the particulars. Thanks for fleshing those details out for me.

Ahhhhhh...so you keep an eye on the spot prices for gold and silver...PMs as they are sometimes called. I too when I can.

This to me is a measure of how inflated or deflated is the true value/price of the American fiat dollar.

I believe someone on the left wants a weak dollar... much easier to weaken American and thus substitute their leftist/socialist/communist schemes with a weak dollar.

Agree....one often has to hunt for genuine news and information...or get a good fluff filter.

I believe Trump wants a strong dollar...and it is one of the reasons for putting people back to work..and removing controls and regulations stifling American Production ....by a corrupt and deceitful body politic...hell bent on inflating the dollar to zero.

As To ICE...I am watching for evidence that Trump is giving the left enough rope to hang themselves ..and even more... awaken the American public as to what is happening towards the rigging of the vote in the 2020 election...via illegals on the voting rolls.
    You can currently see certain states moving rapidly in this direction by issuing drivers licenses to these Illegals.

I am suspecting that in 2016 ..enough American's got disgusted with regular professional politicians from both parties and so elected Trump and the professional politicians hate him for winning because they believe this country belongs to them by default. And I am speaking of both phony political parties here.

If Trump does not do this...Ice Deportations.....the 2020 election will be lost to the left and they will rapidly begin instituting the programs on the time tables which were lost when Trump took office. The left will rapidly put Americans and America into bondage and involuntary servitude to their leftist/socialist/communist programs....by putting these programs on the public purse for power and control as is their Modus Operandi. Economic Bondage and involuntary servitude.

Or as GFW Hegel is often quoted..."The State is god."

And no ..I don't believe the Dems are going to make a deal. The Dems are no different than the Iranian Leadership on this.

Stall ...stall....stall...delay....Ishmaelites at work.

My non Ishmaeliite .02,
    Watcherchris

36. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:

Not saying this is correct but...
    Trump wants a weaker US dollar - here's why
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/trump-weaker-us-dollar

and this on immigration:
    Donald Trump: Deportation Deal with Democrats ‘Probably Won’t Happen’
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ion-deal-with-democrats-probably-wont-happen/

Now we have severely derailed @IBME thread. Sorry @IBME .
    I suggest we continue this in the news , current events and politics thread.

37. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I understand how a weaker dollar or currency makes trade more favorable in a certain direction ..but putting a lot of people back to work and off the welfare rolls tends to strengthen the dollar. It is a fine line to run.

Agree with the deportation deal not happening with the left.. For the left is heavily dependent on the "Victim Dictum Status " in the minds of people for votes and to keep and maintain power.

The left must have people be dissatisfied with America to keep and maintain their power and hold on the country via the media and public education.

Emotions ....the left must have people and voters become drama queens...emoting ..not thinking for themselves...but only emote on cue for the left.

You can see this in South Carolina recently with speakers like Kamila Harris ...stroking the audience emotionally..to prevent thinking.

I get very wary of news and or speakers wherein I detect someone trying to stroke me emotionally. It raises alarm bells with me.

I call this public masturbation...trying to jerk the public off emotionally and put them on someone's puppet control strings.

A favorite tactic of the left...emotional outrage for votes. Ishmaelites putting people into their version of bondge and involuntary servitude without most even being aware it is happening. No thinking allowed...only emoting.

Oh....and I agree with one of the other posters...current events....even history can affect ones survival under changing conditions. Information/knowledge across a wide spectrum of ideas and concepts/understandings can affect ones survival.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

38. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Snyper,

I missed this the first go around on this thread...

Wow......you cleared the holster very quickly with this one...well done!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Really if it was all prepper and survival you would only have about 10 to 12 members the rest would pass on by I like survival but it's not the only thing I like

41. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I see nothing wrong with jokes or humour as long as they're not totally offensive in nature, humour is useful for maintaining a positive mental attitude and getting on with other members of a group. While prepping is a serious business I've known medical professionals, firemen and law enforcement officers employ "gallows humour" in order to get through the job in hand without breaking down.
    I'm unsure where are the boundaries between normal life, survival and prepping so I can't say what is relevant to this forum and what is not...I learn from you guys all the time, I get to share my knowledge in return...sometimes even what we might think of as the most abstract bit of trivia can be of help to someone, why dismiss it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  42. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Here..Here......Well said....Well said!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    O.K.
    Just leave this forum out of the discussion. This can be an entertainment forum, with an emphasis towards prepping.

I wish there was another forum that only dealt with Prepping. Only advance prepping. Even if it only had 12 or 20 members. In fact it could be by invitation only to be a member. It could charge a fee to be a member.

I think that it is a negative to offer advanced information to the masses.

Yesterday I opened (2) Two of my longer in place firearms caches, it was very interesting, I was quite surprised. They were installed not using my current and best yet firearms caching methods. I see no point in publishing that information on forums. I took a lot of photos, of the step by step opening of the hidden caches.

But why post that on a forum like the survival boards. They would review the information, and run to their other forums and post-it, so they appear knowledgeable about a subject about which they are in-fact clueless.

That is the kind of information I want to share with members of a forum that only deals with prepping.

As far as I know this is the best prepping forum on the net.

See I feel strongly that prepping has gone in the wrong direction, but people are so strongly attached to what they have decided for themselves, they simply can't have that discussion.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  44. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    If you feel that strongly about it start one.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  45. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not interested in Owning and/or Managing a forum. Not what I want to do with the last chapter of my life.

46. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

I get what you are saying, and some forums have a solution for that. It is a "backroom" type of subforum that is by invitation only (do you remember that feature in a forum that me, you and SonofLiberty belonged to?).

Failing that, you could PM multiple people in the "send to" line, and they can all participate in the PM just like an ordinary thread.

47. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The problem that you run into a real fast is that after a short period most things have been said. we have covered guns, fire making, water purification, and all the minutia of survival in minute detail. This allows new people to get a hell of an education in survival by just reading what we have gone over already MASSIVELY. It is rare to come up with some NEW way to do these basic things.

I have been to a lot of shooting ranges and clubs. Naturally, we always talk guns a lot but over time the regulars begin to get to know each other and how many times can you have the same debate and conversation before it gets boring? What usually happens is the regulars become friends and talk about a little of everything and then talk guns with the new guys. If they get too stuck in stone everyone loses interest and the club just fades away.

If all you want is the info this forum has it in SPADES and is a resource of massive proportions. If you are new here, if you ask a question, you will get a plethora of advice and answers. The regular talk about living more because we have beat the survival topic thoroughly. If nobody posts because there is nothing new to say the forum will die and all the knowledge and information here will be GONE.

A forum is a place for people to talk about meaningful things. If you limit it as you are talking about it quickly becomes a library where people quietly come to read...and then it is gone... This is the life and death of all online boards. They will either grow and spread out or become stagnant and die.

48. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm a member of a forum that has a kind of inner sanctum of donating members...
    ...it's where and sensitive information or posts of a more personal nature take place.
    There is also a facility to private message within closed groups on this forum, you can start a conversation and include a number of members that you want to have a private conversation with, you can also lock that conversation to exclude others.
    Basically, if you want to talk privately you can.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Everyone is "STUCK"....."STUCK".

You see it on this forum and on all of the forums.

But I see little value in being stuck in a belief system. I say there is much for about this to discover about all segments of prepping. You say it is all out there........I say it is NOT.

I have been caching for roughly 65 years. But, I keep experimenting, and trying new and different ways to advance the art of caching. I want there to be a place for discussing new and better methods of all things related to prepping..........not the same old stuck in a belief system, that I say is flawed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    What seems to be the "stuck" stuff is brand spanking new to newcomers to the craft. They need to see it.

There is a lot of new-to-everyone stuff Out There.

Some of us who have been living the self-sufficient lifestyle for decades still have much to learn, and it CAN be found between the cracks in the sidewalks of forums, in the Woodpile Report, in news and magazine articles, and from other's personal experiences.

The more experienced ones may have to dig deeper for the nuggets of gold that they want and bypass the stuff they already know.

If you don't have the time or gumption to pan for the gold, just start your own PM threads and invite gobs of people to your topics. It seems to be a great all-around solution. Give it a shot. It'll be fun.

(I will be upset if you don't include me, lol!)

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.