Why do preppers reveal all their stuff on youtube?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by hades_leae, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I always wondered about that, I remember watching Doomsday Preppers episodes, many episodes. I love that stuff, but those peoples identity on the show are claimed to be kept secret, but they are pretty much famous, people know who they are.

As far as youtube, people are so willingly to share with the rest of the community their stashes, but should it really be done? I think it's a risk on their SHTF plans.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe a few just want their 15 minutes of fame but I feel people like SouthernPrepper1 for instance are just trying to help the wider prepping community.

hades_leae likes this.
  3. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I think for the most part people share their knowledge because it's fun, and when a community grows we learn from one another. I've picked a few things up from this forum. So by sharing ideas you do learn. As far a s the TV show and YouTube, there might be other agendas. I'm sure the people featured on Doomsday Preppers might have gotten compensated for it. Don't quote me on that. I'm sure in a few years their very minutes of fame will go away.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that providing no one actually knows where they live, then there is no problem. I don't watch these types of videos, so I don't know how much they reveal.
    Keith.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ive never posted anything

hades_leae likes this.
  6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well it would certainly seem silly to post the location of your hideout. But posting other things like pictures or video where you cannot identify the location? Sure, why not? You also have to remember that people prep because they enjoy it, and in these cases the people must also enjoy sharing their ideas with the community!

7. Vatheri

Vatheri New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it varies between person to person. Of course, some are just idiots who want to brag and don't think things through.. But I like to think many of them simply want to help as many people as they can prepare and they don't mind the risk of exposing themselves to do so. You have to keep in mind the risk isn't necessarily as high as you'd believe in every situation. Many people give guides without giving away their location, many others give away their location but also give people the strong deterrent of showing that they are well fortified and wouldn't be easy to steal from, others have secrets that they keep from showing while just sharing their outermost layers of preparation and so forth. Most importantly however, you have to take into account that when you are posting things online, they are being seen by people all over the world. If SHTF some guy in Georgia isn't going to come knocking on your door in California because he saw your setup on a recording five years ago. There will always be local threats anyway, so the added threat of saying your location online isn't that big of a deal. People don't travel nearly as much in the case of SHTF.