Why Do Some People Do This..........???

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Sourdough, Jun 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure how to ask, what I want to ask. But if you work with me, I'll get it communicated.

OK, this is NOT a joke, really what drives people who know zero or nearly zero about something, get indignant, enraged, angry, belligerent as they attempt to convince others that they are 100% correct about something which they know zero, not often, but sometimes fully admitting they know nothing about the subject. Especially when they are discussing it with knowledgeable people with substantial depth of first hand experience on the subject.

I am not looking for the easy or shallow answer, I am looking for a deeper answer. And I really don't know or understand why this happens.

I think this is extremely relevant to survival, especially in a group survival.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump to jumpstart.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Insecurity is the bottom line. Look at trolls. They are insecure and NEED the the attention provided by a forum. They do not have sufficient real life experience to draw upon, so they must use outlandish statement to draw attention. They cannot use in-depth replies because they don't have the knowledge base to draw upon. The worst thing that can happen to them is silence, I.E. no replies / n o response. When dealing with trolls, the best and simplest thing to remember is "Silence Is Golden". In time an ignored troll fades away. I don't use the ignore feature, as it is better when a troll knows people have seen their post and NOBODY is interested in relying. Death by a thousand cuts of silence.

4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    IBME, that is a great question but I don't know the answer. Subscribing to see if anyone does. Tac's answer sounds good though.

5. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I saw a guy do all that once when someone questioned his "long distance shooting" skills. He went into a long rant about his "many years of experience and expertise", and about how many rifles he owned.

He was posting on another site around the same time, asking questions about what rifle and scope to buy for "long range shooting", saying he had hunted a lot but had "never owned a 'long range' gun" before and didn't have the experience needed to make the decision himself.

Obviously he was being untruthful on one site.

What does make people do that sort of thing?

Maybe someone will come up with an answer.

I'm not holding my breath though.

It's been going on forever and isn't likely to change.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    My point being proven. I will add to "Silence is Golden" category.

The Innkeeper and Sonofliberty like this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

If I saw posting like that, I would not automatically think that he was lying.

As a hunter, I know that it is true that long-range shots can be made with typical rifle calibers such as 308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield and 7.62 X 54R, etc etc etc..but these calibers were not designed with extreme ranges in mind (although they certainly can be used for long-range hunting).

On the other hand, there are rifles specifically designed for long-range shooting. For example, the 300 Winchester Magnum, 338 Lapua Magnum, 408 CheyTac, or the 50 BMG. I suspect that is the kind of info your poster was looking for.

Hopefully this makes sense to you.

I doubt that anyone would be so stupid as to lie in the manner that you think he did. Especially on two forums where folks know each other, lol.

8. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I’m not sure if these morons deserve a whole lot of analysis of their motives, but I’ll give it a shot.

They are low life nothings in real life living dull and meaningless lives behind a computer. Some could be middle age men who realize their dreams of doing something meaningful have crashed and burned, and others are spoiled kids in their mom’s basement. Acting like a slick operator on the Internet is probably an ego boost for their exceptionally low self esteem.

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME,

Ref: "a deeper answer";
    Re: [?]"why this happens";

My experience regarding the questions, less propaganda and other psychological operations, involves Immanuel Kant's "Weltanschauung" - "world view" or "outlook"; a "worldwide perception".

If, for example, one believes that a human destroying the life of another human is "murder", then the view is an absolute and not meaningful discussion can occur. Another example, especially in the US South, but changing, is "You're going to rot in Hell if you don't believe in...". Dealing with foreigners of certain political organizations frequently enough displays Kant's Weltanschauung". If one believes that only those of the Shiite Islamic faith can obtain "benefits" after death, then...another example of Kant's Weltanschauung.

What is the best quality of snowshoe? If mentioning anything using the products of animals, there are those who have a pre-informed view that you are evil. What is the best number of wives to have? How much of a contribution should the US make to the Destitute Investment Bankers Association of Dubai ? When does human life begin ?

The basic belief governs to the exclusion of all else.

If interested and time permits, check out "Terror Management Theory".

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some people crave attention and will say or do anything just to get attention. Back in the 7os during the heyday of CB radios a lot of people, myself included used the CB as a social media. We would sit up late at night and talk. I made a lot of good friends that way. You young folks have to understand, at midnight TV played the national anthem and then turned off. There was nothing for the night owls to do. ALWAYS among the nice folks that just wanted to visit there would be an asshole that would step all over everyone with inane insane crap. We had one we called the meow mix guy. He has a small linear booster (sp?) and would key up and just meow loudly. ??? He was mobile because we hunted him and with triangulation, we got close several times.

These people have some sort of mental problem. Then there are people that just can't stand being incorrect and will go to insane levels trying to defend a mistake rather than just saying Ooops I was wrong. Sometimes through misunderstanding or bad information, you make misstatements. This is just being human. For some people though, maybe because of fragile egos, they just can't accept being wrong. Even when it is something that they could google and see quickly that they were mistaken, even when the real information is put in front of them they will refuse to see or believe.

For some, it seems to be an authority thing. I tried to tell a foreman one time that a blueprint was wrong. He got assinine and asked me where I got my engineering degree from. The piece that I was making was a 50,000 dollar piece of exotic metal. He told me to just do it as the blueprint called for. I went out and went to work. A couple of hours later I brought him a bag of metal shavings and the blueprint and work order with "finished" on the bag. He wanted to know what the hell this crap was. I shrugged and told that this is what you get when the inside dimension is bigger than the outside dimension. He looked at the blueprint and his face went snow white. Fortunately for him, I had only roughed it to shape leaving a few rough proof marks so you could tell that I hadn't taken more off than necessary. He was the BOSS but that didn't mean that he was always right. After that, he and I had a strange sort of love-hate relationship. He hated me for proving him wrong but was thankful that I hadn't cut his throat and do what he said for me to do.

The thing about these sort of people is that they never seem to learn. That same boss eventually lost his job making bad decisions because he wouldn't listen to the people that actually did the work. I may not have had an engineering degree, he didn't either, but I am a very good machinist and a good draftsman and can read blueprints. How smart do you have to be to understand that the inside can't be bigger than the outside??? Why was being RIGHT so important to him? He wasn't the one that drew the prints. He could have taken the prints to the engineers and looked good to them by claiming that he had found the problem. He didn't get to do that though because I had told everyone to watch him when I took the bag of shavings into him. Everyone knew that he was a dumbass.

I think that it must be some form of psychosis. I am a know it all and the one FACT that I am sure of is that I DON'T know it all and am all too often full of crap. I take a mistake as an opportunity to learn and the stupider my mistake the more I learn from it.

11. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have my Journeyman Machinists papers, signed by the 49th governor of New York, Nelson A. Rockefeller.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have my Journeyman Book and at one time was Vice President and a steward for the IAM (International Association of Machinists) local 195. Those were good years. Then Jimmy Carter decided that there would be no oil by 2000 and after a few years of intensive work, there was so much oil that it became worthless and every place that I had ever worked went out of business and the American oil industry was shut down.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical....

Now I like that ...thanks for posting it.

Wow Pragmatist....

I've heard of Immanuel Kant's "World View."

However Terror Management Theory is a new one to me and I wound up reading on it via Wiki.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention...about Terror Management Theory.

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of my undergraduate degrees was in Psych. It helped me get a job one time when I needed a job. I've worked with profoundly psychotic patients, the severely brain-damaged, the developmentally disabled, horrible conditions, keep track of their seizures. The Psych thingy has not been of much help to me in my attempts to figure out my own species. Life experiences have taught me that this entire plane of existence is some form of madhouse. Even as a youth, I loved reading Kurt Vonnegut. Franz Kafka was an absolute genius.

I believe that you get into Heaven simply if you leave this world without having become terminally jaded. If you still have one micro-gram of hope, a nano-gram of endurance, the Pearly Gates will open automatically. If you can say the prayer, "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, ..." Saint Peter knocks the ashes off his cigarette and steps aside so that you might enter Eternal Paradise. So, fight the good fight and all that sh##.

Speaking of attempts, here I go with an attempt at explaining the terminally-committed:

Begin with a poor ego structure. Such begets its own "special" brand of insecure personality type. If you challenge some unimaginably stupid premise which they have just upheld, it is not simply that you have attacked said premise; no, you have just attacked the vulnerable infant deep down inside their damaged soul. Think of a screaming infant. Add some decades. The infant is still screaming. Throw a bucket of water on it and the infant continues to scream.

Why the damaged ego in the first place? Poor maternal-bonding? Severe neglect? Uh ... brain-transmitter screw-ups? Oh my, the list does go on.

Phrase for the wise: "Can't fix this."

Smile, nod, walk away. Your own sanity is important, so keep that in mind. Don't take the anger out on your family. Take a shower. Drink an alcoholic beverage. Go to bed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I have an answer for you, though I know what you mean. I avoid mentioning climate change on forums because of this sort of thing. I just don't bother anymore, not worth the abuse. People can believe or not believe in something, I just let them get on with it now.
    Keith.

16. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Dag gone it Keith....you've done it now....mentioned Climate Change!!!!

I am buckling my set belt and shoulder harness...and or contingency plans...

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    "Stupid" is your word, not mine.
    I know what I've seen on more than one occasion.

I don't believe they knew I was even reading the forum since one doesn't have to be a member to read, and different names were being used.

I also suspect you've heard a one sided version of things, and you haven't seen everything I have. I don't expect you to agree.

18. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I think that is often the root cause of the behavior being discussed.

19. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Face !
    Social standing
    Lack of honour and self respect
    Small man syndrome

And just plain "STUPID"

20. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I have not "heard" a thing from anyone, but have given the benefit of the doubt based on who and what I know.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is gonna be one of those 'til death do us part' kinda things??? I have never seen such dogged determination as this, lol. Good grief...

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There are probably several reasons but one I run into a lot is someone that feels a compulsion to control. It doesn't matter what it is, even if they know they have no idea about how to do or fix something they have to direct the process and come up with the answer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Simple rule folks: ---- Don't Feed the trolls. Even complete disagreement is food for their poor misguided souls. Let them die in peace. No responses cannot be argued with. Silence is golden, sort of like silver bullets to werewolves.

Sonofliberty and poltiregist like this.
  23. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Belief is a strange thing, people will die for it.
    Several of you have put great theories out there but I can't help thinking that each individual liar or cyber bully may have a slightly different motive.
    Whatever the reason they do it they can cause a kind of self perpetuating piece of misinformation that can end up being cut and pasted all over the Internet. When something like that gets spread far enough it becomes accepted wisdom, almost like religion or dogma that cannot be contradicted, if a person cantradicts that dogma they're labelled as a fool, when they try to present proof they're labelled as a liar.
    Once we knew we were at the centre of the universe, then we knew the world was flat....who knows what we will believe tomorrow but at every stage of the advancement of human knowledge the thinkers and philosophers have been seen as heretical.
    I'm going a bit off thread here but I hope you can see my point that knowledge is important it should be sought and it should be defended.

24. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I realize all that.
    I also realize you haven't seen it all, and you're taking your buddy's side without knowing all the facts.

Who started the topic?
    Who is constantly resorting to name calling and lies?

I've been told to not argue here.
    I guess some didn't get the same message.

Yes, I believe we have seen that in some other threads, mainly complaining about the topics posted.

People will believe what they want to believe, even if they don't have all the facts, and even if they ignore the facts in front of them.

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Snyper, do you realize that nearly all of your posts are you whining about poor little you being picked on? I'm not saying there isn't some truth in that but you need to understand that most people have little patience for it and it doesn't make it better if you just keep doing exactly the same thing over and over on thread after thread. Make your post about a topic and your opinion and then allow others to do the same whether they agree with you or not. You will learn more from people that think differently from you than from those that agree with you. Learn to enjoy the give and take without taking disagreements personally.

26. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just having some guns and amo doesn't make someone a prepper . Perhaps we have an individual that simply hates real preppers .

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  27. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    In all fairness, I am never blindly loyal. Weighing a person's general integrity (and character flaws...none of us are perfect!) takes time. Do I expect that person to behave like an angel 100% of the time? NO. But more often than not with those that I have learned to trust, I have learned that what I thought to be a lie or discrepancy proved not to be the case.

I also can recognize a pathological liar or a fabricator of personas. (I know the OP well enough and long enough to know this is not the case here.) Because it is so pointless and unimportant, I cannot fathom making it my mission to waste time and energy to "prove" liars wrong, or to "expose" them (unless they are a danger to others...which would likely bring out my inner Cajun, lol).

Sometimes I gain a better understanding of certain motives behind a post...simply by asking respectfully (sometimes by PM) rather than by assuming. Then there are other posters that I think, naaah... this ain't worth keyboard energy to respond or think about.

But, that's just my way of thinking, and it keeps the drama-llamas from crapping in my yard.

The object of your attention, in forum after forum after forum... but the question should be, why did he post that?

Judging from the content of the OP, I don't see it as an attack but rather, he is probably wondering and attempting to understand what causes a person to hang onto intense and years-long fixations like this...

This understanding is also good to know in a survival situation because hard times often bring out the worst in people. Not all of us have a degree in psychology but would benefit from insight and understanding.

Sometimes we have to just come to grips with the fact that regardless of the whys and hows, it is what it is, and oftentimes I choose to adjust how I react rather than try to change something that I cannot.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  28. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    So should I not believe what I have seen with my own eyes, or should I just take your word?

We already had this conversation.

No, they are simply stating the facts.
    You've seen the posts where I've been called a "troll", and those telling people to put me on ignore. Show me one where I "complained" before that.

You also haven't seen all the things I've seen.

29. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    At this point, we have probably beat this horse to death (is it horseburger yet?), lol. I don't see how any of this warrants so much of your (and other people's) time and energy.

Snyper, there's not a thing wrong with letting folks find out the truth for themselves, on their own, without any help from you or anyone else. Especially when the truth of the matter does not involve anyone being hurt, maimed, or even ripped off. In other words, it ain't that important.

Please, let it be.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  30. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    He likes everyone to do things his way.

Just like he complained when someone posted some music, and just like when he started a thread wishing "survival" was the only topic ever discussed.

"Object of attention"? I think you have the roles reversed.

I'm not surprised at that.
    I don't consider my opinions "attacks".

I do consider being called a "troll" an attack, and I don't like it when people lie, and I've seen that. But now we're just running in circles again. Neither of us are going to change our minds.

LOL
    Do you see the irony there, considering the thread topic and overall theme?
    The truth is there are only about 10 people posting on this site.
    If you don't want to hear what I have to say, don't read my posts.
    The choice is yours.

31. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    You can't find the truth when much of it has been deleted.

I didn't start this thread.

32. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry so much about what he likes or don't like... problem solved.

Considering how many hours a day you are on the internet, you probably see more than most, but don't forget, a LOT of people know the OP on the same multiple boards and read his posts, yet you seem to be the only one who has any issues...

Not talking about this thread. I'm referring to nearly a decade of hounding the OP. It would be beyond awesome for y'all to be at peace.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Anymore than being able to make a silk purse from a pigs ear. You can't change a troll into a rational person. The discussion has been beat to death, minced into horseburgers and is now starting to decay into a very bad smells. Move back on topic (origin thread) or bury this poor deceased critter.

34. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Ok I give up. You whine and I'll ignore...

35. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think that this has become way too personal, Snyper and IBME obviously have some history...this forum isn't the place to vent about it, it's boring for the rest of us to witness...I would ask both to take it to PM if they wish to argue.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  36. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it has gone on long enough.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    It appears that the mission has been accomplished and the horse has been buried.

I apologize for my part in this, but hopefully, this sad situation will end here in this thread and not continue to muddy this forum as I have seen happen in too many others.

And hopefully, a mod will come along and lock this thread to prevent a zombie horse from getting back up again.

38. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

Proverbs 26:4
    Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him

Aerindel, TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.