Why go into survival mode?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by lexinonomous, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Many of us have some sort of love for being out in the open. Survival comes in all shapes and sizes, but generally comes with leaving your home to travel. Everyone has different reasons for traveling and making the decision to survive outdoors. Some of us simply want to experience life differently, while others didn't have much of a choice. Whatever the reasoning is- I'm curious as to why everyone chose to make their way to the forum.

Why did you decide to go into survival mode?
    Do you travel and why?

2. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    I have always been an outdoors person. I love being in nature. The reason I have decided to go into survival mode is because of the unstabilty and uncertainty of our world and more specifically, our country. We can't say that a bad situation won't ever happen to us anymore, because everything is different now. It can happen to us. I think the wise will be prepared.

3. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in a small town in a rural area in the South-in the USA. Enough said, huh? Kidding. My parents owned/operated a farm where we grew our own food - from vegetables to chickens and pigs (wide range of vegetables) and also used selling tobacco and some of that food as another means of income. We all learned how to use a gun and be able to hunt at a young age. That's where I learned the value of money and a strong work ethic. This was something that had been done in my family for generations. To date, all of my 6 brothers and sisters have gotten away from that but could we go back to it at a moment's notice? Yes. Do we have the land to still accomplish this? Yes.

With the times being what it is nowadays, it is almost imperative and a given, that something can/will happen. To answer your question, I've always been in survival mode. I've lived on my own in several large cities and sometimes even crime ridden areas as a single female. Now to be able to survive without the traditional means of what we have gotten used to? That's a different question but my response would still be the same. Learning as much as you can will prove to be useful if something happens at a moment's notice or if something happens months or even years from now.

I also travel. Mainly it's because I like driving and love to see nature at its best. I usually go on drives for hours by myself. Hopefully soon I will be in the position where I can do more and go overseas. Only time will tell.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the world is changing and not for the better it seems, the ability to go into survival mode at a moments notice would be beneficial for most but unfortunately too many people walk about wearing "rose tinted glasses"!!

sunnytn likes this.
  5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Being an ED survivor, I first saw survival mode in another meaning haha. But yeah, that aside, I've always loved being outdoors, surrounded by the primal energies of the earth. For some reason, I have always felt at peace amongst the trees and wildlife. Not only at peace, but stronger. Prepared for anything. Even now that I live in Tokyo, Japan, wherever there's a park or nature trails or patches of green, I can breathe. I travel all over to different parks and reserves. Some of my favorites are back home in America though, where the trails are boundless and getting lost is easy to do.

So, to answer the first question: I decided to go into survival mode because I realized that such behaviors would ensure my success in a number of situations, not just disaster ones. If you want to survive in this world, you've got to fight.

sunnytn likes this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Pure curiosity, I work in a hospital and occasionally the power goes out and then you realise how much we rely on it. Just gt me thinking about what would happen if it didn't come back on again.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ah, now your getting the idea!!:D:D

8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha. When the lights go out and all the medical equipment starts beeping and shutting down it's quite an experience, of course there is a back up generator but that only powers a small amount of stuff. The place basically grinds to a halt until it comes back on.

sunnytn likes this.
  9. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I've started worrying about the future after the war in Ukraine started, since it shattered the conviction that "wars don't hapen in developed countries anymore". I still don't expect any in my country, but I realised it pays off to prepare in case your expectations are wrong! Also, I'm in my mid 20s now, so I figure I will hang around for decades a few decades, which is enough for the world to change totally. I hope it'll be for the better, but no one can guarantee this. I always looked down to people who are financially secure but don't have basics like house insurance, and recently, it dawned on me that prepping is a kind of insurance for societal collapse :D

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I like to be prepared. Thinking about survival in various situations is a smart investment. Doing things to make yourself ready for an impending disaster is not a waste of time. There is no way to be fully preparedbut you can look at your situation and your surroundings, and do what you can to have a working plan for those things that are most probable.

sunnytn likes this.
  11. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Because relying so much on the comfortable urban lifestyle doesn't suit me. Is safer to have a plan "B" when something awful happens that would affect harshly your current lifestyle. Besides, is also a great chance to discover new talents, since survival is a multidisciplinary task.

12. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm more interested in being prepared than trying ri survive for fun. I know many people do it for the love and fun of it, but I do it out of fear. I don't want to be unable to take care of myself if I ever need to.

sunnytn likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prepare for all eventualities, the big ones as well as the little ones, it doesent do to be complascent, nothing in this life is guaranteed no matter what the govt tells you.

14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have been let down by so many people and organizations over the decades I just rely on myself now!
    Shortly I will have all links to the above severed and will feel much better for it!

I can only rely on me!

sunnytn likes this.
  15. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I prepare for all eventualities, the big ones as well as the little ones, it doesent do to be complascent, nothing in this life is guaranteed no matter what the govt tells you.

At Mod, that's for sure. I think most of us have stopped really relying on the government to really tell us the truth a long time ago. It is going to be interesting to see if they even get people talking or what will be done about survival. How many soldiers can you really train? And if you do, will they be protecting or against the common man? Or looking to secure safe spots for the "elite"? Like the above post says "Rely on yourself" and strengthen your knowledge. Gain as much information as necessary and be willing to use it at a moment's notice.

sunnytn likes this.
  16. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The main reason why I would go into survival mode is out of pure necessity. I really am not an outdoor person, unless I go to an amusement park. LOL. I am not a fan of nature.....at all. If I sit on the deck and bugs are flying around I run and leave. I want to learn all I can about surviving whether in or outdoors. I travel only if I am on vacation. I don't take many of those.

sunnytn likes this.
  17. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think most people like going into survival mode because it's natural. Human beings are creators by nature this is how civilizations are built. Being in a survival situation forces you to use your creativity and will to survive, the reward is the feeling of accomplishment. This is why people are drawn to these survival shows. Conquering nature seems like what us humans were meant to do, but at the same time not tamper with it, just enjoy it's beauty.

lexinonomous and sunnytn like this.
  18. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is honestly something I never thought about. It really is natural to have a love for nature and the outdoors. We've been a part of nature since the dawn of time, so it makes sense that we'd want to be surrounded by it. Technology kind of put a huge brick wall in front of us, letting us forget about the world around us. Sadly, humans tend to tamper with nature. It hurts my heart to think that we might not have beautiful scenery one day. Luckily, I won't be around to see that day.

19. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You were right that the survival part comes when we leave our homes to forage, barter, or reconnoiter. It beats staying inside all the time, though. Then, you just find yourself a prisoner in your own home. Sort of like those people in Extreme Hoarders. Trapped, and uncomfortable with anyone coming in to share. There's got to be a middle ground. Maybe only leave home a couple of days per week. Completely random, of course, so you're not predictable pickings.

Am I getting more paranoid? Or are they really out to get me?

20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I've travelled to a lot of countries and I'm still pretty young, so I love being abroad and not in the same place for a long amount of time. I went into "survival mode" simply because I love the idea of living on my own or in the wild without too many ustensils at my disposal. I love surviving and I also love being in those kind of situations, I feel like it's awesome!

21. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    There's a bigger chance of surviving this fast changing world if you're on survival mode. In survival mode you will be conditioned to deal with things in a more primitive but effective ways in surviving and more importantly, you will be equipped to deal whatever unexpected curveball life throws at you. We have no control of the things and circumstances outside our own little bubble, so it's always best to be prepared at all times.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its people that DONT go into survival mode that worry me!!

23. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, whether there is a disaster that defaces modern civilization or not, I believe that the skills that you gain from becoming a survivalist are necessary for humanity period.

Yes, we may have all of this technology at our finger tips but I do not think that any of it is helping us maintain certain values.

I believe in living hand in hand with nature at some point in my life, and learning to survive in the wild is the best way to do it if technology won't allow it.

24. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I am easily bored. Much of what people do in this world, I don't find worth spending time or money on. I hope that we never have a terrible catastrophe to live through. If I spent the rest of my life in awaresness and becoming more prepared, yet never had to use it, that would be the very best outcome. And it would have been interesting. But if there were a disaster, I would rather be prepared.

25. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We do not have the same reasoning about survival mode. For me it is the fight for your life not just some adventure. If there are no drastic threats like nuclear wars or massive earthquakes I would consider stealing and swindling people for money to be a survival mode or to be lost in woods or on a huge mountain. Basically, fighting to survive, for real. Here in Serbia you do a lot of things you are not proud of at least.

26. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Think about it. You have more to lose not being in survival mode than staying in leisure mode. I am in a metropolitan area and I can obviously tell that these affluent people will be the first to go if anything happens, they are so hand-fed and whine over the littlest things, they'll eat each other before they realize they can just grow food.