Winter Tick; State Experiment

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Pragmatist, Feb 10, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.pressherald.com/2021/02...ting-permits-would-help-control-winter-ticks/

Good afternoon all,

Just when I thought cold weather meant field jacket pocket has a de-icer sprayer for truck and warm weather means a can of DEET spray, along come ..... not "and along comes Jones ,.." but rather learning about winter ticks.

Dale, TexDanm, Polt, help is needed on this ! Can one get a tresspassing tick on one's clothes in winter? I've never had experience to my limited knowledge.

If minimizing moose herd sizes reduces warm weather tick populations, sounds like a needed experiment.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard of a "winter" tick before, what we get here are referred to a "Sheep" ticks, thats the 4 legged kind of sheep not sheeple, but its mostly sheeple that get them, walking in long grass in shorts and sandals, intelligent people wear trousers and mostly stay out of long grass!
    used to get ticks on our long haired terrier but you can buy tick removers on ebay for not a lot.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    I also never heard of a winter tick - and have an accordian file on Lyme Disease ... I once had it.

That's why asked help from Forum Members. Dale and Polt retired biologists, zoology and botany, respectively. Dan has some science background to this I remember reading. Forgot Old Geezer's CV on this.

If the State of Maine has this experiment and it's advantageous to thin out the herd, my support is 100%. Don't even care if a Moose Lodge must be relocated.

In Boy Scouts, learned about Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever but here east of the Mississippi River, I was diagonised with Lyme. Apparently Lyme is a new disease.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in tick heaven " the Ozarks " . We have and deserve the reputation of being a high tick density location . This winter we did notice ticks on our dogs . This we haven't noticed before . Over the last 4 weeks or so though I haven't seen any . --- As for as the college boys thinking they can reduce the tick population by killing more moose , that is ridiculous . I can already tell them the results . It will not reduce the tick population . --- This ignorance makes me think back on the time I was working with a biologist . He wanted to study a particular endangered turtle so I spent days guiding him on his quest . He had the college book stuff but when it came to wildlife was one of the most wildlife ignorant fellows I ever meet . I am not saying all biologist are wildlife ignorant , just the one I was guiding was . --- Another biologist I worked with really had it together and was very wildlife savy .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Poltiregist,

Appreciated reading above. It's my style also, ie what is the significance of the experiment; what are the anticipated results ?

I do know about the ecosystem. Destroy the snakes and the rats arrive. Destroy ther black widow spiders and the wasps become the new danger.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Mother Nature hates a void. Create one and she will gladly fill it with something else. Not always to our liking.

Amber Wolf likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "That's why asked help from Forum Members. Dale and Polt retired biologists, zoology and botany, respectively. Dan has some science background to this I remember reading. Forgot Old Geezer's CV on this."
    -- Prag

Hell, I'll defer to those two men.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think I need to correct this misunderstanding . I am or never have been a biologist . However I was occasionally loaned out to aid biologist . Sometimes I was also loaned out to other people entering our county doing things in the realm of the outdoors . One of the more interesting assignments was when this fellow came into my county wanting to collect yellow jackets to make medicine out of them .

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Poltiregist,

Well received; understand.

SIDEBAR: Just received my pulp catalog from Forestry Suppliers, Jackson, Mississippi.

It's my toy store and helps break the depression created by our Federal and state public health agencies.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.