Would Being With People Help You Stabilize Your Mental?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by ValX, Jun 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ValX

ValX New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Humans are social beings, which means we always need somebody else to be in our life. I am quite sure that is true no matter what the situations are, including when surviving. But do they really help in the aspect of mental breakdown where you've lost everyone you loved and everyone around you. Will meeting people help such a breakdown ?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    people cause me stress.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The company of people is the best way to survive in times of calamity especially when there is a big disaster like deaths. I cannot imagine myself to be alone in times like that. Of course, time heals everything but it is easier when you have the support of people particularly people who are close to you. And surely compassion will pour when all that's left is you and your companions.

4. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Well...I've already lost my brother (accident), father (fatal stroke as reaction to anesthesia--it's an Irish Thing), and husband (cancer). I've learned. For a few months or a year you cry every single day, and then you don't.

Anybody who thinks s/he can just pop right into the empty space a loved one leaves behind is likely to be emotional deadweight, best avoided.

Even after losing a pet...I think a healthy survivor's outlook is like "Of course no other dog can take the place of Nero, don't be silly, but this dog deserves a home." Other people aren't your loved ones but may be valuable allies.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dear Lord, PriscillaKing, seems you share the misfortunes of my wife and I. My heart goes out to you.

Do you have someone? ... other than the cats, I mean. I so hope you do. Hope you are doing better than getting-by. I came close to losing my wife to cancer, but here we are, she beat it. We've been together over 40 years. When I read that you lost your husband, that stung. Again, hope you have close souls in this world also.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  6. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you and your wife are still together!

I've claimed the same person as my Significant Other since...the same week I started using this screen name, in 2006. He's real. Sometimes I'm not so sure about the relationship, but his family and health situation is real and I really do like him when he's able to get away from it, sigh. We've worked as a synergistic team, which is more than I can say for anyone else I've met lately.

What I have left in the way of friends and relatives...aren't going to take the place of my father, brother, or husband, don't be silly! Most of the time I feel youthful and cheerful, though.

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well, good. Sounds positive. I hope more good fortune heads your way.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    being with other will make life better work guard duty all will be easier with a group a loner if hurt will have less chance to survive

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah yeah yeah heard it all before.
    groups are for people that cant survive alone.
    being with other people and seeing the stupid way they behave would have a detrimental effect on my survival, better to be alone than with idiots.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Yours too.

11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well, 99.44% military operations are team operations. Seems we humans have both of our eyes sunk into the front of our heads -- no eyes back in the back; thus the phrase: "Who's got your six o'clock?!"

Any factory quality control engineering study teaches that the human flaw of not being fully able to evaluate one's own self can go dangerous. Physicians do not treat themselves or their own families. One mind = extreme bias and a lack of other ideas. Without other ideas, including bad ones, the intellectual process becomes severely inbred.

Humans can be damaged. Military teams train so that a few casualties will not compromise the mission. Given enough time, alone in the field = failure, even death.

12. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It's one of those subjective answers I'm afraid. Simply put, there are people that I can get along with and people who really piss me off.
    If you put me with a group of people who I don't gel with I will get simply disengage, (life is too short to put up with people that you don't like) that will not help me reorientate myself after an apocalyptic event. It takes me a long time to build a trust relationship as I have quite a low opinion of other people so it won't be a case of substituting for lost relationships, however...if I find someone I can work with, great.

13. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Short and honest answer, no. I've always been something of a loner and I simply don't need much social interaction. Never have, never will.

However, there are several people (my wife and children) who I am absolutely dedicated to their safety and well being. If I was away from them in a disaster, that would be a problem.

Ystranc likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is not a subjective answer that the military works in teams. That's the reality of it, period.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the military works in teams because they are in a combat environment, post event i'll be lucky if I see another person given my location.

16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was trying to answer the original question at the start of the post truthfully Old Geezer.
    I already know that the military works in teams and also that those teams are built over a period of time while these units live, work and train together. Internal conflicts get ironed out at that stage.
    However in the initial question there was no mention of the person being part of a military team or op.
    If you were to take any group of disparate individuals and throw them together after a SHTF event there would be conflicts as some members of the group competed for influence. These conflicts would be detrimental to the mental health of any person already in distress from losing loved ones. My answer simply meant that I don't have time for infighting or pissing contests but if I do find a person or people who I feel I can work with and respect then I will work with then.

17. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think being with people around can definitely help you stabilize your mental health. it can make you social. And it can get you out of the survival mindset. And this helps you deal with the loneliness. As it has power to turn into depression. So being with people and discussing random things definitely helps. I have found that being in crowded place definitely helps. It can make you happy when you see happy faces in mall.