Would Learning How To Make Alcohol Be Helpful?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Some ways a prepper could use alcohol:

- Use it as fuel or make it easier to start a fire.
    - Alcohol can be used as a disinfectant.
    - It can kill foul odors.
    - It can be used for pain relief [not sure about that but some people say if you have toothache, alcohol can help numb the pain.
    - And as lots of people drink and will still need it you can barter alcohol for stuff you might need.

So I suppose therefore learning how to make alcohol/moonshine from grains should be something every prepper should do?

cluckeyo likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I wholeheartedly agree. Alcohol is quite useful, especially because you can make it from variety of plants, fruits and vegetables. Of course, distillation sometimes takes a while... especially to get the potency desired. Making moonshine might be a good idea, but doesn't that require just mixing a bunch of already made alcohol? What if there's a shortage of alcohol? How are you going to ferment the liquids? Maybe vinegar would be easier, haha.

Definitely be worth a shot, though, if you had the materials for making alcohol close by.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Not necessarily. Moonshine can be made from corn or any other grains. All you need is some water and yeast and of course whatever you'll use to distill the alcohol. Even if you can't get hold of yeast there are ways you can make yeast yourself.

4. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    It's definitely worth it for the reasons you've mentioned. Drinking it for recreation purposes is actually one of the last reasons to produce alcohol. Learning to make or prepare anything naturally will always help you in the future.

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Heh that's true, a moonshiner can become a great prepper. You can ask any hillbilly how they manage to survive the poorest areas of USA, I'm not joking. These people have it rough there and become moonshiner for trade.

John Snort likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol is addictive for some people & personally I think it would be more trouble than it is worth. Standard alcoholic drinks on the market today are NOT strong enough to use on wounds, so unless you can make something stronger you are wasting your time.
    If you need alcohol to help start a fire then you have not learnt fire making skills & you are better off learning how to make fire without using alcohol than you are learning how to make alcohol. There are plants that can be used to dress wounds, urine from a healthy person is good to wash wounds. So much stuff to learn & making alcohol should be on the bottom of your list if on the list at all.
    Keith.

John Snort likes this.
  7. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that would be a great idea.. Alcohol has many uses, one of the most important being that it is good for disinfecting and cleaning injuries. There are many uses for it. Besides that, if you learn how to make it, you could sell it or trade it with other people who need it as well.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Shine has many uses after shtf fuel clean cook can be done with shine new cars and trucks will run on shine but willnot last long shine burns too hot older stuff pre 74 is best 60-50s best. Shine is explosesive make away from shelter

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not for me.

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Gramps still is 100 years old still makes great shine ive been makeing shine for over 50 years

11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I noticed!
    Some of your posts display a fair amount of shine;)