Would You React To A Robbery?

Discussion in 'Safety' started by PedroP, Jul 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Should you ever find yourselves in the unfortunate situation of a robbery what would you do? Those of you who were trained would you react or not? Is it worth risking your life for something so common as money or material goods?

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a few times in my life growing up my family had a gas station grocery store and about 3 in the morning my dad woke me up and told me to get my rifle and shot gun he took the shot and told me that the store was being broken in to he told me to set up with my rifle at the corner of his shop and he would confront the men he told me if any thing went down to shoot the one on the right because he was going to shoot the one on the left he told me to shoot him like I would a squirrel that ment in the head or neck when he confronted the men they kept calling him old man what are you going to do old man out here by your self and that's when he said son are you ready and one of the men said I ain't your son and he said ready for what that's when I said he was talking to me and the realized he was not alone they then got back in there car to leave and that's when I shot out both of there tail lights cops were called direction of travel and no tail lights they were picked up 15 miles from our store I was 14 at the time and rumors spread like wild fire not to break into our store that we killed two men doing so there people to this day that think I shot two men back then. So yes I would.

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Heck of a story buddy. While such stories are hardly pleasant we only grow in difficulty. So I am glad for the difficulties life gave me and I'm sure you are too. Hardships are what turn boys into men. Personally, i never had to react to a robbery itself but I had my fair share of street brawling when I was younger. I see today's youth locked up in their houses playing some lousy online game and I think to myself what will become of the future.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Been there, done that. Not if it was someone else's money or goods, but when it is mine, yes I react. The thing is you can't afford to let this happen & do nothing about it. If you don't stop it right there, then they can come back another time, or word will get out you are an easy target. No, I deal with it.
    Keith.

5. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you, Keith. If some thug thinks he has the right to take what's mine I sure as hell have the right to defend myself. While I have been taught to defend myself and would most likely react in such a situation I think that sometimes it's just not worth it. Whenever I was sparring with the boys I kept saying that to them. Maybe you're tired, maybe you don't really feel like fighting, maybe you're retired like me and you're not sure you can pull it off anymore. Regardless of that if a life of a loved one was in danger then there is really not much to think about.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    We have to remember though that our primary goal is to survive. To live. If it were me say, inside a bank that is being robbed, I wouldn't do anything heroic like try to fight the robbers. Or if I'm held up at gun point by someone asking me to give my valuables to him, I'll simply follow, our human life is too big a risk for something we can earn back. I say be smart. Try to familiarize yourself to his voice or look for some unique features that could describe him easily. Then report it to the authorities. Give them all the information you could give to them about the robber.

I think gambling your life for your belongings is almost always should never be done. At least that's how I would go about it.

7. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah man, that's a very good MO. Material goods can always be replaced. Your life and the life of loved ones cannot. Still, i advise everyone to learn at least a little bit of self-defense because there have been reports of robbers shooting victims even after they handed their valuables. Risking your life isn't worth it but sometimes you might not have a choice. Like you said our main goal is survival

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not the first to react.

We have a security system that reports a break-in to a company. They call us. If no answer, they call the cops.

Our dog is not old and weighs 70 lb. It goes nuts if it hears anything odd. It will bite if it gets too upset. The dog will wake my wife. My wife keeps a revolver by her bedside. My oldest son is disabled and is not a part of our security plan. He has multiple health problems, plus was killed in a car accident then brought back; he's disabled X disabled and useless when first awakened. He doesn't have access to my firearms, can't even get into the gun safe.

I sleep like ... stop stop stop ... I don't sleep, I go comatose. Often in the evenings, I get some weapon out the gun safe to keep on my side of the bed, then back into the safe when I'm off to work. I'm not going to let my firearms fall into the hands of felons if I have any say in it.

my wife and I can take care of such a situation nowadays. Plus the dog will be chewing on anybody not belonging in my house. If I grab my wife, the dog will turn on me, get between us and act like it is going to gnaw into me. God only knows what instincts an intruder would set off in this fanged monster. I mean, this thing goes nuts.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One night a century ago, somebody opened our screen door but not the actual door to our kitchen. This was our back door. I was 16, I got out my Spanish double-barrel 12 ga. (did two years of lawn work for grandparents neighbors, several, to buy that puppy) out the gun cabinet, stood at port-arms between kitchen and living room. Planned to take burglar's hand off if he was to break door glass and reach in to unlock door. Then saw lights of vehicle going slow up our road and away from our house. Went back to bed. Told parents in the morning.

It was all a false alarm. We had gotten a new paper-boy and he didn't know where to stick the newspaper. He was 100% safe. I do not fire unless target is identified. At that time I was on my high school rifle team and had a senior non-com. retired military man training us young men (he was Army Intel, Korea and Vietnam).

There were two other times some low-lifes were casing our house. Both times I spoke to these folk, told them to leave. They knew I had a gun in my back pocket. They could tell I was THE sort of person not to torque. One time, it was a two guy team -- one arrogant and the other wary. The second guy (young, like 20 yr old) saw me and stopped mid-front-yard, froze there. The other, a smart-###, came up to the door. Left when I wouldn't take my had off the snub-nose I had in my back pocket.

Second time it was two guys also. They were posing as technicians from our security company. Acted offended that I wouldn't let them in. I don't know if the lead fellow understood the gravity of the situation as regarded his health. I think I had a chopped 9mm cocked and locked in my back pocket on that occasion. Entire area got a notice of these two going around casing houses. Security companies DO NOT just send out tech.s without first notifying home owner.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  10. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like a perimeter all right. My father employs one of such companies to watch his summer house. To be quite honest with you I don't trust them. Supposedly they "might" send a car over to his house and call the cops should anything odd happen but from what I can tell they aren't even armed. To me, they're just "pretend to be cops money stealing sharks" Still I got to admit my father sleep tighter with them watching and while it's better than nothing I would always favor a hand cannon under my pillow.

11. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    If you are ever robbed in a street corner, the best step to take at that moment is to throw what ever the robbers maybe interested in at a different direction because they would be more focused on getting it at that moment, then you turn the opposite direction and run like crazy in a zigzag pattern.

12. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    If they're scared as much as you're scared of them, this might work since some robbers are first time robbers. They don't know what to do yet and they're not really ready to kill someone over. Just some threats here and there, but other than that, they wouldn't do anything.

But, of you encounter someone who is an experienced robber, throwing your stuff in the other direction is a really bad idea. This will piss them them off more at you and that might actually make them run at you to kill you. I don't suggest doing this.

SouthernMama likes this.
  13. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This sounds like one of those cartoonish, Disney situations that you should never apply in real life. It could go one of two ways. It's very risky. I imagine the situation and the OP look really dumb in it. If the robber was a rookie, they might just take the money and run the other way, but then you have robbers that are as bad as the mafia that won't take any nonsense. You don't know if they have weapons, so they could just shoot you if you run away. Solution: don't walk around alone at night whoever you are. That will give you a fighting chance. I know people get robbed in the daytime, but there are so many near my school, and most of them happen between 2-3 AM for some reason.

14. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This exactly. Some robbers might be rookies and are scared just as much as you but you shouldn't gamble on that chance. Encounter one bad guy that's willing to kill and you might end up killing yourself by doing this.

Also agree that you shouldn't walk alone at night, at least walk on well-informed areas!

15. sakakimakio

sakakimakio New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It's been quite a fuss in my country last year, a man was convicted of murder after he shot down a burglar who enters his house and threaten his family with a knife. I thought maybe it was misunderstanding evidence or case, but I was shocked that it appears that is the LAW! For example, a robber threaten you with small knife, so do you!

As for me, its ridiculous if we are in the worst-case scenario. For God's sake, we just want to be safe!

https://thecoverage.my/news/malaysi...om-a-robber-by-using-a-bigger-knife-than-his/

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Soum

Soum New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    It's depend on situation, if i was getting robbed then I defend myself and my things. Yeah I'm a highly trained kickboxer and learned how to face such type of situations and if there are more more than 2 then I'll run and seek for help.

17. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If there is an intruder in our home, we were advised to stay in our room. It's a good thing that we have cellphones now unlike before when robbers would cut the phone's cable. Now, we can call the cops for help why we stay in our bedroom. Our only weapon is the rattan baton so it is best to avoid a confrontation with the intruders.

18. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    If it's someone'e else I'm one of those who wouldn't react, no point being a hero and risking everything just to help another. There are limits in altruism.
    But if I was the one robbed... honestly, I don't really know. I think it depends on the situation, but if I had the chance to react and solve the situation I would surely do it.

19. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Since you are handing your valuables either way why not just give it to them? Trust me you don't want a druggie scared. Especially people on Cocaine. They become accelerated and jumpy. That alone might be enough for it to shoot even by mistake. So if you are handing it just give it to them and hope for the best. If you are fighting, however, stick by your decisions and see things through.

20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how I would react since it depends on the situation. If the robbery is life threatening I wouldn't do a risky move and risk my existence, I would just let them take what they want and call the police after.

21. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    It's a good tactic. Keep in mind not all robberies are equal. Some theifs might have different approaches. I have even heard of friendly thugs who calmly walked up to their victim and told them he had a gun and wanted the money. Either way, i believe we all should know at least basic self-defense. Never know when we might need even after handing out valuables.

22. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't count on a thug to not hurt me, they are pretty reckless when it comes to movements. Even the slightest flinch can trigger them off and you could be dead in seconds. If they want the good and don't want to kill I think it's a pretty good idea to stay put.

23. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. In fact, you cannot count on anyone not hurting you. I was taught to expect harm from anyone at anytime. So we never know when we might need to defend ourselves.

24. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I guess I'd just obey to whatever they are robbing me for if that eventually happens. But if ever I manage to take a snap of their faces or record even just their voice, I won't stop until I found out who they are and I'd sure be sending the cops at their hideout.

25. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That's a dangerous tactic bro. Lowlifes are known for seeking revenge. In my country, the penal system is a mess and a person can be arrested today and be free tomorrow. Would you be able to live with the fear knowing they might come for you? Personally, I'd stand my ground if I could. I I couldn't I'd hand them what they asked for and be done with it. Material goods can always be replaced. Your safety and peace of mind can't

26. Robin Roberts Jungle

18/29

Blog Posts:
    There was a case of a man in Texas who shot an intruder in his home. He didn't get in trouble because of the state's "Castle" Doctrine. The Castle Doctrine means that you have the right to defend yourself in your abode by any means necessary, even with a gun. The guy in question shot two burglars, who happened to be illegal immigrants, outside of his neighbor's house. Look up the "Joe Horn shooting controversy" It was all over the news, and he was not convicted. It was controversial because it set off debates about what constitutes self-defense. I know that if a robber were coming into my home, I would be prepared to defend myself with any means possible.

27. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, i was familiar with this doctrine. Over here there is a very famous tale about a regular Joe who managed to trap a robber inside his bathroom. Then amidst cursing and swearing he called his cousin a police captain. His cousin advised him to take his gun from the closet, shoot the criminal because if he called the cops he would most likely walk free and return to threaten his family again. Sad but it's the world we live in.

28. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I was held up at gunpoint at work years ago. I handed over all of the money and did exactly what he told me to do. Once he had the money, he ran. It's easy to say what you think you would do. It's not as easy when the gun is pointed at you.

29. Robin Roberts Jungle

18/29

Blog Posts:
    It's a pretty solid gamble. I have known people in real life who tend to be paranoid about everything and out there on the street; it's a do or die situation. That's why these robbers are so despite to get money. They can be experienced or inexperienced. The point is that even experienced thieves might not know how to use a gun. Life isn't like the movies where someone pulls the trigger, and they go "Huh, this gun has no bullets." Most scenarios I have heard of usually involve robbery suspects that seem dumb and desperate. There's a lot of shady people in my area so you can tell when someone doesn't know what they're doing. Emotional intelligence is a must in this world. Your first reaction shouldn't be to flinch because even if you comply, they might just want to take you for a ride even more.

30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pre-SHTF, gotta go legal. Post-SHTF, go max, no mercy. If they finish you, then they will be further emboldened and ABSOLUTELY WILL ATTACK OTHERS. Aggressors increase their violence with each felonious aggression. For the good of humanity, armed robbers and gangs who perpetrate such horrors must be utterly wiped out. ("Decimate" does NOT mean wipe out, it means killing one in ten soldiers.) If you and your crew are able, annihilate them.

31. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yup and we aren't even considering people under the influence of drugs. They tend to become even more erratic and visible. The thing is someone trying to rob you won't simply teleport by your side. He will come from somewhere. Situational awareness is just as important as the actual skill to defend yourself if not more.

32. giovanniiiii

giovanniiiii New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I believe it is not worth risking my life unless I am driven in a situation where I am required to do so, like when I have no choice because I am the one threatened to be killed. This is where carrying a self defense weapon becomes very important since you can never know when a situation like this would happen. If someone else was being robbed, I would play safe and just call for help.

33. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It was a such a relief that my officemate and I was not in our staffhouse when it robbed. It feels frustrating to see that our belongings was scattered in the second floor room and although we felt relieved that we were not there when it happened, it's alarming to see things like that happened. Good thing we really don't have important things there that was left before we leave.

34. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm not 100% sure what I'd do, but one time I found two people who tried to break in our house. I thought that my cat wants to come in so I went there to open the door and I've seen two guys running away. I quickly alerted my dad who grabbed his gun and ran out. He didn't wanted to shoot just to scare them away. But this is all the experience I have.

35. Gibobili1029

Gibobili1029 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    It is best to remain hidden from the intruder. If you are have a safe room, definitely try to go in there if your path is clear. If not, lock yourself in the room you're in and remain quiet. Call the cops as soon as possible too.

36. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The same here in Australia. Once you have lost the right to defend your life & the lives of your family members, then you have lost all rights.
    Keith.

37. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a victim. I fight. Fortunately in Texas we are encouraged to shoot the suckers by laws that make it totally legal to defend ourselves and our property!!

38. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Define being robbed?

Is someone stupid enough to think they can get the jump on me to try to rob me? Is it like a "mugging" scenario?

Is it a scenario where I am in a retail environment and someone comes in to rob the place?

If someone is dumb enough to think they can rob me...and I will have seen them coming a mile away...then, no I am not going to "fight back". I am going to be the one to initiate the physical violence and I am going to break parts of their body in a Machiavellian manner. I know. I have seen me do it. The reality is that I am 6'4" and weigh 280lbs. Yes, though I have gotten a little soft in the middle, I am still as strong as a bull and 30 years of law enforcement training dealing with actual, professional, dedicated, violent criminals has given me a certain set of skills that preclude a successful robbery attempt on my person. I am NOT a good choice in victim. I liken myself to the grizzly bear. I am as happy as a clam to go along, being as peaceful as the world will allow me to be...but if the coyote tries me on, then I will become the NON peaceful grizzly bear and the viscious one will come out and the coyote will pay.

No, I am not bragging. I have 30 years of training in defensive tactics and have actually used them in the real world, not in the theoretical world of a dojo.

BUT...and there is always a "but"...

If I am in a retail establishment...one that I do NOT own...and someone comes in to rob the place, and my training and experience in dealing with criminals tells me that all they want is the store's money (which is insured) and they are not going to hurt the clerk or any other innocent lives...then I am not going to do shit. I no longer get paid to "run to the sound of gun fire" or to put on my cape and fight crime. Quick Trip or Circle K Corporation's money is not my responsibility to protect or to risk my life to safeguard. It is not worth my killing someone over, nor is it worth me breaking a fingernail let alone catching a lucky bullet from some chud robber. No, I don't believe in the probability of some chud getting the best of me in a fight...but I allow for the possibility and even the remote possibility that I might get unlucky isn't worth taking the risk for someone else's money.

BUT...and there is another "but"...

If my training and experience tells me that the chud robbing the place is about to cause harm to an innocent or more importantly to me (Yes, I can read pre-assaultive cues and body language as easily as most people can read a comic book)...then I am going to initiate Machivellian level violence once again and stop the threat. Period. I will blow chunks of human shit off of them and paint the walls red until the threat is ended.

Remember...they are the ones who made the choice to forfeit their life by placing the lives of innocents in peril.

Here's the deal. The world as we find it, is not made of cotton candy, lollipops, and covered in bubble wrap. It is a dangerous place, and even more dangerous when you're stupid, or live with your head up your ass (Condition White). It becomes exponentially more dangerous if you are a human predator on the wrong end of the grizzly bear.

I am NEVER unprepared.

Frisco Desktop Carry Combo 1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Guy tries to get into our house some 35+ years ago. Our kid was colicky and I was already furious and had smashed a radio. Door knocking wakes the baby again. I'm ready to kill anything anyone in sight.

I get the shotgun, rack one in, and talk to mr interloper through the door. He gets back into his "disabled" car and drives off. Had he kicked the door, I'd have killed him. My wife thought that I was going to kill him just to be killing someone.

I get mega-angry mega-quick. I have to control my temper. Glad I've never been robbed, because it is easy for me to lose it. My dad was the same way and family kept things from him to keep him out of jail. He'd blow up, but he was want to use a blackjack, not guns. His blackjack has its leather all worn.