Wow......fairly Impressed With Quality Of Neck Knives For Cheap.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sourdough, Oct 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have for giggles been buying neck knives, some are below $8.00 yes below eight Yankee Dollars. For a tool, for caching or stuffing in a pack for utility work they are an outstanding value.

Morgan101, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a Becker Necker BK11, that is actually a favorite blade of mine. Short enough to be handy but if need be, long enough to use in a defensive or offensive manner.

31YBJPvMfjL.jpg

Dale

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have that same knife.....I duck taped it to the back of my Becker BK-9 sheath.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Mines attached to my GHB with 1/8 inch bungy cord. I have it on my left strap so it can be drawn fast. Similar to how I used to keep my service knife attached to my LBE (Load Bearing Equipment). Old habits.

Dale

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a neck knife, it goes on a cord around my neck!!:rolleyes:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Now I have another Christmas present from me to me. I have been looking for a good neck knife for some time. Thanks for sharing, Sourdough.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of neck knives. what are they ?

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    knives that hang on a cord around the neck of the owner.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    wouldn't that be dangerous having a blade so close to your neck ? also i never have anything around my neck, i could get caught in all sort of things

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not that close, its a bit like wearing a loose necklace, the idea is that you don't lose it, its always there when you need it.
    I've seen outdoors types do the same with a bushcraft knife.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    It is locked into a Kevlar sheath.

My point of this thread is they "Don't" have to live as a neck knife. The last bunch I ordered were $7.83 delivered to the bottom of my mountain in Alaska. I think that is crazy cheap for a useful tool. I can stash them everywhere, and use them as gifts or trade post SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most neck knives are fairly tight in their sheaths, if they weren't they'd fall out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is as good a demo as any. Goes along with the philosophy if it is important enough to carry it should be tied to you. No matter what happens you will not likely lose this knife if it is around your neck.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Is the cord holding it in place around your neck, strong enough that it won't break away if pulled on?

Dale

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Sourdough like this.
  16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am in the hunt for something other then a cord or rope or chain. Something more like a 1/2" wide flat fabric like you would see on the winners of Olympic gold metals. Needs to be sturdier then a ribbon. What to wear neck knife and some medications.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have every intention of using a lanyard. If I can't find one that fits I will use rawhide. I would think my knot would be the weakest point.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Have you considered para cord with the inner cords removed? It flattens out to almost 1/2 inch and is very strong. I would recommend adding a quick release to the cord. In case it gets caught on something or someone gets hold of it. Easy to be strangled to death on a strong cord, either accidentally or on purpose.

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Ystranc like this.
  19. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Question.........do people sleep wearing their neck knife......??? I do.

But then consider that in the field I also sleep wearing a G-19X. Seems that my local carnivore monsters have little respect for the sleeping.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  20. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I never wear anything around my neck as I often use forestry machinery. If you get caught up wearing something around your neck things can go bad very quickly.
    I always carry a SAK as an every day carry, never lost one yet.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  21. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Seems like "How" and "Where" I live things are often going bad very quickly, having nothing to do with my neck. Life is lived near the edge is "well".... near the edge..

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  22. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I never sleep with anything around my neck. I seldom have anything around my neck period. Even dog tags used to drive me crazy, when I had to wear them. Usually kept them tied in my boot laces.

Dale

23. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    That is a cool little knife SourDough. I could see that lashed to a pole for a spear or similar.

25. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    wpk_cb_1m_1024x1024.jpg wpk_all_2m_1024x1024.jpg Saw these a couple weeks ago and can not remember who had them. Any help? I thought it was triple aught design, but if it is I can't find them on there sight now.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Truth be told, I'm hard on knives (and vehicle transmissions).

I have some quality knives that hold a great edge. Do I throw them in my toolkit? No. A cheap knife works for the stupid jobs and the jobs for which knives were never meant to be used. Sometimes they will even double as a "decent knife".

Found a cheap knife in a pawn shop. Rough shape, grimy-bad, hard to open and close. It was mine at $15. Got it home. Turned out to be a Spanish Muela. Never got it totally back to good condition opening/closing-wise, however that blade will hold an edge like a razor. The puppy is dangerously sharp.

I've got a crud knife in my vehicle's console along with some other quick access tools (pliers, screwdriver with swap tips, ... that stuff) my toolkit in the back of the SUV is huge, has pulleys, a come-along, ropes, ..., kitchen sinks, ..., train engines, ..., horses, ... gyroscopes and kaleidoscopes and moon rocks.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I typically carry a neck knife in the winter for ease of access when I’m fully bundled up and cold. Easy access when your fingers are cold, and in the alaska winter darkness is important. In the summer I typically carry folded knife on my belt and skip the neck knife.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  28. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Thank you!
      Dale

Dalewick, Nov 1, 2019
  29. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Thank you very much! I could not remember where I saw them at. I got on there wait list for it. I like that it has a striker built on it. Thanks again!

Dalewick, Nov 3, 2019
      CountryGuy likes this.
  30. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I received my M TECH neck knife yesterday. After a quick review (it is supposed to be a Christmas present) I was reasonably impressed. The knife is the one from Sourdough's link. Seems to be very sharp right out of the box. The sheath is black and looks exactly like the ones Dalewick showed in his picture posted earlier.

The fit in the sheath is very tightly. It came with a black chain which runs through the bottom two holes of the sheath, so it would hang upside down. My intent is to put a lanyard through the knife, and have it hang right side up. How well it holds an edge, and how long the sheath remains tight only time will tell, but for $8.00 I am very pleased.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  31. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have several M Teck blades and have been pleased with all of them. I like the skeletonized blades for Kneck knives and have several of them. The one below hangs beside my chair in the living room and is a great package opener and such. My wife carries one in her purse as well. When I wear a neck knife I usually use 95 paracord for the cord and have a breakaway snap connector on it so if it hangs it will pop off. They require them on all ID badges worn in the prisons so they are common here.

https://www.amazon.com/Kabar-Johnso...knife&qid=1573078219&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-10

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Sourdough like this.
  32. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.