Wow!!!! I Really Do Need To Get Out More!!!!

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by watcherchris, Jan 8, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I place this post in the Menta Preparedness section as I got caught unprepared for what I saw today at the grocery store.....

Here is the crux of what happened today....

Went today with my lady friend to a locally owned grocery store known for their good meat selection. While we were there we checked off the grocery list we had tabulated on our phones....and on the list was eggs.

Wow!! Did I ever get a shock....at the price of eggs....some six dollars plus per dozen. She said we can get them for less at this other place...and are not currently in desperate need .

I usually do not pay attention to the price of things like eggs and just throw them onto the cashiers line....but Wow!!! I was not ready for six dollars a dozen.

As I am oft want to state....reckon I need to get out more!!

And Breakfast is one of my favorite meals...even in uniform...I liked midrats.. I could eat breakfast three times a day.

But....I am glad my woman awakened me to this....I had not a clue until today about the egg situation to the tune of $6 per dozen..Wow!!

Reckon I got my education today!!! A reality check!!!.

Raining and damp here in Virginia......Keeping close by a hot cup of coffee.....this feels like a hot coffee day.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

But definitely need to get out more111

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ishmaelites run wild...!!!

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yep, my wife ran into the same inflation situation. A lot more folk are going to be raising their own chickens.

At my last job, one fellow would bring in extra eggs from the chickens he was raising on his land. I would bring-in our extra zucchini and squash. There's a limit to what you can put into your freezer. Zucchini bread is great, yet one can tired of anything.

Around here, it is very easy to find chicken coup kits to assemble on your property, if you don't want to build it from scratch. This is an agricultural region, so go figure ... ;););). Each little town has farm supply stores. Used to be called "feed and seed" stores. A brick & mortar store chain that is popular in this region is Tractor Supply. Add to that the huge home improvement / building supply stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's. Here in this region, their gardening sections are huge and in the spring, full of gardeners -- one stands in line to fill your truck.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the price of eggs in the UK is quite amusing, I have heard that a lot of supermarkets are bringing in eggs from Italy and are charging anything up to just over £3 not sure if thats for a dozen or half a dozen, we buy our eggs from a farm 1 mile up the road, no problem with supply and I pay £1.25 for half a dozen fairly large eggs and they are fresh laid.
    reminds me of when I lived and worked on Dartmoor, cut a long story short, I had 4 trays of eggs(30 eggs to a tray) to bring home because none of the other guy's ( all townies) would touch them because they still had hen "muck" on them!! obviously never heard of wiping eggs with a wet cloth!!
    your eggs in the supermarket can be anything up to a month old due to collection and delivery methods , they dont tell the public that but it is well known in the trade.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I miss having my own eggs. They are incredibly expensive here. I buy them from a local dude who charges $5.00 a dozen. The supermarkets are obscene with their prices. Last I looked they were over $7. No idea how much they are now.

Mushies got me. Where I live they're $19 a kilo. I literally bought a few this arv to have with my snags. Unbelievable!

We had an "incident" at the end of July, whereby a woman in Victoria bumped off some people by making Beef Wellington pie, using deathcap mushrooms. She was arrested last week I think, or maybe the week before. She's been charged with 3 counts of murder, along with 5 counts of attempted murder (she tried to knock off her at the time husband 4 times I believe over the last couple of years, including one time at the lunch a few months ago when he, as her now ex, was invited but he dropped out at the last minute. Lucky for him).

Anyway, the point I'm getting to is that when the victims carked it, the price of mushrooms dropped through the roof as half the country were paranoid they may be eating deathcap mushies because the accused reckoned she bought half the mushies at a supermarket and the other half from an Asian store. Unfortunately, the price drop didn't last long!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we buy eggs from a local farm £4 a dozen.
    I've never been that bothered about Mushrooms, I did go on a Fungi course a few years ago, one thing I learned is there are more wild ones that will kill you than are edible, so if one dosent know the difference better to leave them alone.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely. I read in an old book a method for testing mushrooms to ensure they weren't poisonous. You put salt under the gills. If it turns yellow, they're poisonous.

I did have a go after a heap of mushies came up after a bout of rain a few years back. Sure enough, the gills turned a horrid yellow. Though even if they hadn't, I still wouldn't have tried them on an old wives tale! Was an interesting experiment nonetheless.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we used to gather some big Horse mushrooms when we lived in Somerset, they were edible and as big as dinner plates, we gave them to the local homeless shelter for their cooked meals.

TMT Tactical likes this.