You are now on the top of an unknown mountain...

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by 111kg, Jun 11, 2016.

You are now on the top of an unknown mountain... 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. 111kg

111kg New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    ...with no special equipment, no food and no water. What do you do to survive?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not that there are any mountains in England but,
    the first thing to do wherever you are is to find out what the resources are, what you can find to help your situation.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, you can always go higher, to the peak of the mountain, and see what is in the horizon. Good chance you would be able to see civilization, if not, at least a stream or river where you can get fresh water. You can also create a fire, as well as livable shelter while waiting for help to arrive, or while trekking through the mountains and forests looking for a way out. It's also likely, since we are in the 21st century, that you may even encounter choppers, planes, or even people working in the forest, so you can definitely have a higher chance of survival now, compared to the old days where people have to mail their letters and stuff.

4. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yikes sounds like the start of a survival video game! I agree with @OursIsTheFury in the idea of seeking the highest ground. I'd definitely start out by scouting the area. First things I'd look for are water and fire making materials, after that a source of food. This is of course I am not so lucky as to spot a nearby town from my look-out point!

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This would depend on the time of year. In winter shelter & fire are important, & water is always important. In summer you have more time so you can start checking out the area for game & set up some traps. What to actually do would take up a lot of room here, so suffice it to say that you NEED to have the skills.

Way back when I first started teaching primitive skills, one of the first fire lighting methods I learnt was the fire-bow. Once I had mastered this skill I decided that I could still not teach it to others until I could make the tools & produce fire without the aid of any modern tools & in the pouring rain.
    One day in early winter the conditions were just right. I went out into the forest with no tools what so ever. To cut the story short I did make fire that day with the fire-bow that I made, but I was very cold & I think that if I had not managed to make fire I would have suffered from hypothermia very quickly. I was soaked to the skin.

Learn the skills while you can, it costs you nothing if you teach yourself from book or videos & it can give you a great feeling of accomplishment.
    Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/my-book-primitive-fire-lighting-ebook.html

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/friction-fire-fire-bow-slightly.html

My fire-bow fire lighting method is slightly different to the way other people do it, though many survival instructors subscribe to my video channel so you will no doubt find my methods being used elsewhere. If I can ever be of any help, contact me.
    Keith.

6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    First of all I would have to get a grip and prevent myself to have some panic attacks. Not that I have them but who knows what can happen with the mountain air and everything. I would immediately try to look around and I mean to horizon. If I couldn't see a thing I would go to the top to see if there is some smoke coming from the chimneys. If there is a city or a village I would set a course and try to reach that marker. If it is summer I would try to find a building of some sort. Of course after that I would make some kind of a weapon out of wood and stones.

7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am afraid of heights so it would be a real big challenge for me to even climb up the mountain. I would also try to check out the area around me and see if there might be other people in the area. I would definitely also look for water bodies and get water first and then find a good spot to build a shelter and if it is cold I would make a fire to stay warm with the materials I have with me.

8. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, you take things as they come. Your brain doesn't fire up when you are not in a dangerous situation. If you are on a mountain all alone with no basic resources, your first reaction would be to search around. Fire your imagination on what you can do with the available stuff. The best part in such a situation, I'd say is that a man fights or is forced to fight to survive. It would arm him with new skills.

Perhaps some amount of brinkmanship may help every individual in his/her life. Good question there bro! I liked it.

9. harper

harper Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Realistically, I'd probably spend a good half an hour to cry and mentally say goodbye to family and friends. After that, I might go about surviving.

Let's say the mountain has snow-capped peaks with no human life in the distance. I will need to create fire to keep me warm throughout the night, to fight off wild animals, and to see where I'm going, so I will start off by finding some dry wood, make a bonfire, and a torch. I will need food and a weapon. I will start off by making a weapon with some branches, or perhaps, find a log which I'll have to use as a club. I'd have to beat my food and enemies (animal predators) into oblivion with it if I want to survive, though.

Eventually, I need to know where I am located. I will have to note where the sun rises and where the sun sets so I can tell where my north, east, west, and south are. I will have to make the difficult choice of going a certain direction and sticking with it until I am saved.

It all sounds so easy in writing, but in real life, this would be so difficult.

10. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I had to like your post because I just made a new thread titled Survival Video Game?
    Now what I would do first is try to find a way down the mountain.
    There wouldn't be many things to survive on if you stay on the summit.
    The best items and resources will be on level ground.

11. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Depends on how tall this mountain is. If its like Mt. Everest I'd probably start making my way down to see how far I can get before I inevitably die. If it were a more decent sized mountain I'd start looking for some sort of fruit I guess. Try to look for signs of any human settlements.

12. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Water shelter fire food

13. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I would get out my mobile phone as it is not special equipment but more like compulsory equipment!
    and call emergency services, tell them exactly where I am via my google app and while waiting improve my surroundings as best I can.
    The magic that got me here can return me!:mad:

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Shelter first.....get out of the wind/cold/wet/sun.
    then Fire..........to get you and keep you warm.
    next Water.......you can live a lot longer without food than you can without water so
    Food last.

15. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Id find my water first then make my shelter handy the water food needs water to grow and survive

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd agree with finding a water source first, but then build a shelter as one would need to get out of the weather, into the dry out of winds and storms.

17. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on the mountain the region time of year snow no snow the situation I can do a lot with just a knife in my mountains

18. tacjack

tacjack New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Not a lot to go on here. what is the current scenario? are we surviving armageddon? has SHTF occurred? Or have I just gone walkabout and managed to get myself lost?
    I suspect that, as I have no special equipment, food or water, then the worst has happened. Even so, the basics must still apply, shelter, heat, water, food. taking into consideration the possibility of any contamination to either my environment or water and food sources which would depend entirely on what type of S has H.T.F.
    Is the sun still visible and doing its job. or is it now obscured by a never ending ash cloud?
    It's all looking a bit bleak, but hey, one day at a time, no sense in panicking. keep a cool head, get your act together and get on with the business of staying alive and functioning to the best of your abilities.

See you at the FRV,

Tacjack.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no mountains in England, highest ground around here is Dartmoor which can be very bleak, I have known 3 seasons in one day.
    plenty of people have to be airlifted off there because they are either ill equipped or inappropriately dressed.....or both!!

20. tacjack

tacjack New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:

21. tacjack

tacjack New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Plenty of lumpy bits here. I've got Snowdonia right on my doorstep!

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ah yes, I had a lovely holiday in Conwy and Llandudno back in 1979.

tacjack likes this.
  23. tacjack

tacjack New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I live right in the middlevof the two in Llandudno Junction. Practically on the riverbank. Best place in the world!

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry, North Devon is the best place in the world!:p