Your Input, Please?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by GrizzlyetteAdams, Sep 14, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I would love to have your input on a project that I have been working on.

Eventually, I will be selling a few ebooks through Amazon.com. I also want to list free content there as well.

Until then, I may try using a different publishing platform for sharing my free digital publications: https://www.flipsnack.com/

The freebie trial version allows me to publish up to three short digital publications that can be shared via link, email, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Before I sign up for the paid version, I want to be sure that this publishing platform is easy for readers to use and that it is a flawlessly good experience. I would also like to know just how responsive it is across different operating systems and devices (mobile, tablet, PC). (Flipsnack.com claims that it is great, but I found that I had to tweak a few things to make it work flawlessly with my phone.)

So, I am asking my friends to test drive this short sample publication that I threw together a couple of days ago. Please check it out and let me know what you think of the reading experience. Can you think of anything that I can do to make it better?

TIA!

Here ‘tis: https://www.flipsnack.com/GrizzlyetteAdams/thriving-in-hard-times.html

2. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It seemed to open up quick on my computer I didn't go past the sign up part .

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

They asked you to sign up in order to read it? I didn't know about that part. Please tell me more.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately I have a large screen in addition to my laptop, I was unable to see well enough to read on the laptop. If I had the choice & I was to write another book, I would use Gabriola print, I think it is the easiest print to read.
    Keith.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Keith, do you see a Full-Screen button in the center of the page? It is so faint that it is almost camouflaged. Or, do you see a zoom feature anywhere?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Also, did they ask you to sign up to read it, like they asked Poltiregist? (Here's hoping not!)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    There should be seven pages total, plus a blank back cover.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ah! That's better, sorry, I missed it. Distracted by several grandchildren & two beers!!!
    No sign up request. There were just 8 pages to read.
    Keith.

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Is there a sliding bar thingie at the top of the page to adjust page size?

Did you notice any wonky lines, or text running off the page, or text running into the next block of text, or any other such funkiness?

Pass the beer! I could use one right about now!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I went back in and looked again I did get directed to some kind of sign up thing but I don't think this has anything to do with your site . It said my browser was too old and best I could tell wanted me to sign up for facebook .

12. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Uh oh, this has nothing to do with Facebook! That is just strange.

What browser are you using? And, are you on a PC, tablet, or phone?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I have been asking others on another forum if anyone had to sign in to view it, and so far, no. One guy is using Windows XP :eek: and it runs fine with no signup required.

One other important question for everyone: If you had a choice of which publishing platform to read my freebies in, which would be your first choice: this flipbook thingie or Amazon.com?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    worked just fine for me...no sign up asked. one thing i noticed is if i went to large part of pages disappeared. only go about half way on slide.

15. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    What device are you viewing it with? Browser?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    computer - firefox

17. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Worked fine for me on my iPad. The documents and content looked great!

18. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    When in zoom mode, do you see a hand-grabber icon that you can move with your mouse? If you do, you may be able to move your page around the screen

19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Someone mentioned to me that the green banner at the bottom of the second the last page chopped off about four lines of the preceding paragraph... Has anyone noticed this?

20. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Laptop, window 10, Opera browser, 2 VPN's running. Opened first try. Was able to increase page size, - Full screen mode. All pages clear and no malfunctions. Easy operation. Read all pages. Worked fine and was a good read.

P.S. -- If you use just the zoom feature --- magnifier icon with + sign --- (not the full page button) you can zoom past your page size and miss stuff.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    GrizzlyetteAdams likes this.
  21. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes
    I increased the page size & that was fine. No other problems I could see, presentation looked fine.
    Keith.

22. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much for great input, loved all the details everyone provided so far.

Big question: If you had a choice of which publishing platform to read my freebies in, which would be your first choice: this flipbook thingie or Amazon.com?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    GA are you saying Kindle or Flipbook? I use Kindle but do not know anything about Flipbook, this was the first I have heard of it.

GrizzlyetteAdams likes this.
  24. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    never read amazon so i cant comment.

25. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes Kindle, and the Flipsnack.com flipbook (There are a few other flipbook companies out there, but none as affordable as this one.) But before I pay a penny beyond the free version, it had better work flawlessly. That's why I appreciate the feedback from as many eyes as possible. I am actually looking for anything that ain't right.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Dunno about the publisher platform, but from technical standpoint it's going to be a whole a lot easier for your reader if you also publish in .epub format. Using .epub format help those of us who read things on the field with mobile devices (phone, phablet or tablet) and it is lot easier to read compare to .pdf or any other format.

27. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    It worked fine on my laptop, had to zoom it up. Looks good and great content.

28. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Grizz I don't think you will have to worry about the signup thing . My computer is all the time trying to rip me off , nothing unusual . I am just using a regular desk top computer and my computer skills are so low I am not even sure what a browser is .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Hello @GrizzlyetteAdams I did not have to sign up to read it. The full page version was very easy to read and there was a sliding bar across the bottom though I did not use it. Good work. I look forward to more of your publications.

30. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking forward to hearing from mobile device users as well!

Supposedly, according to the Flipsnack.com people, "The HTML5 format makes your publications work on any device, including mobile phones."

(We'll see about that.)

Thanks for your input, Varuna!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, everyone for your kudos and all the fine details! It is helping me a lot!!!

I would love to know also how it performs on phones and tablets... anyone game for checking it out?

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  32. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Android up to date OS. Works great

33. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    :D:):D

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  34. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Can't help on the cell phone, request. I only use a flip phone, no internet. Sorry.

35. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I think the display concept is excellent: easy to read, ability to witch pages is good, etc. same quality as (but different from) Kindle.

36. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It opened up quickly for me. The format was a bit small but I figure that's probably because it was on the free page. I liked your formatting and layout. Nice photography also. Wish you well in your endeavor.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Everything worked for me as well. I was not asked to subscribe to read it. I did not try to expand the screen or the type size. I could read it as it was. I used Internet Explorer

Good start. I hope it all comes together for you. Let us know. I will certainly buy a copy.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.