Your Profession And Prepping

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by BalisongAndBicycle, Jan 27, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BalisongAndBicycle

BalisongAndBicycle New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    What is your profession, and how does it help you to be prepared? I am a vet tech, which is teaching me medical skills that can be used on pets and humans alike. I have been a shadetree mechanic, helped me to learn about cars and mechanical design in general, and for three years i managed housekeeping at a major hospital, which helped me to learn about disease, sanitation and gave me real-world experience in handling containment situations, including designing, building and running an Ebola ward.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a retired Facility Operations Engineer and with many other careers tossed into the mix. All these past skills will allow me to survive, along with my preps. I can do plumbing, electrical, rough construction, carpentry, mechanical repairs and soon some gunsmithing and reloading. Hunting and illegal fishing (fish traps) and minor gardening (food crops) will provide the substance needed and the other skills will provide shelter and defense.

Keith H. and BalisongAndBicycle like this.
  3. BalisongAndBicycle

BalisongAndBicycle New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Great skills! I have done a lot of maintenance as well, and that sort of work pays a lot of dividends! I ahve made a lot of useful things and learned how to hide or disguise many others, aa well as just make my wife happy with home improvements from time to time lol. Kudos on the electrical knowledge - i never could get the hang od that or much plumbing!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a retired security operative & owner manager. In my retirement I am an 18th century living historian & experimental archaeologist. I have also been a primitive skills instructor.
    Keith.

5. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Retired Alaska Professional Hunter (Registered Alaskan Hunting Guide and Outfitter) and also retired Commercial Pilot, flying Super Cubs, in bush Alaska.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    retired self employed gardener and life long loner, backpacker and moorland explorer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I started my working life in the electrical trades then many years in security, a few years in hospitality, lots a driving and many years farming.
    As to useful skills three decades of comp pistols, rifles and shotgunning most of it in mastergrade and much hunting and camping and a lifelong study and practice of survivalism
    I am comfortable in most environments

Currently counting down to retirement driving Hotmix trucks at night

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have spent most of my working life in the land of the cubicle people. First half in Operations mostly in a manufacturing environment. Second half in Sales, which oddly enough, was what got me into prepping. Long before it was popular, and give credit where credit is due, an over protective wife, I started putting together car survival kits. I was driving in a Sales territory, and could routinely be several hundred miles from home living out of the car and hotels. My wife encouraged me to keep emergency supplies in the car just in case. It was good advice, and I started with a 72 hour bag. I could still live in my car comfortably for 72 hours., and that bag and my car kit are much more substantial.

In my area we had the Iben Browning earthquake scare. The New Madrid fault was going to be TEOTWAWKI; Y2K; Mayan 2012. All spreading fear and destruction, but some legitimate reasons to prep. More realistically, how could you watch Hurricane Karina or Hurricane Sandy; live through an ice storm where power was out anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months; watch Joplin get leveled by a F-5 tornedo; watch another tornedo pass 200 yards from your house; come within an eyelash of having to evacuate for a flood and NOT be a prepper. To one and all, and I was never a Boy Scout, BE PREPARED. I have seen it happen to friends, and it has happened to me personally, your life can be turned upside down in a heartbeat. People have no idea how quickly SHTF. You have to be prepared or you will be fortunate or lucky to survive.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  9. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm a retired aerospace engineer/manager, and have also been a schoolteacher and a music teacher/musician, none of which are necessarily precursors to a 'career' in prepping/survival. I did spend some time as a systems engineer in a photovoltaics factory, designing and installing PV and hybrid power systems for remote/rural locations in the US, Central America, the Arabian Peninsula, and Africa. I tend to think skeptically and in a structured way, which has its good and bad points.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Retired jack of all trades master of several. Was self-employed repair tech. I can build or repair most anything...

11. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Retired army paratrooper and medic. Retired from a post army career in health care and medical operations. Doing some other things on the side that I don’t want to talk about for opsec (not necessarily all that exciting). But none of this ads up to 1/4 of what I learned from my parents from birth on being self sufficient, being frugal, farming, raising or hunting for subsistence, and critical thinking.

TMT Tactical likes this.