All Weeds Are Not Weeds

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by iamawriter, May 22, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    I had a friend over the other day. I have a biggish garden. I took her round and she spotted atleast half a dozen plants that have health properties which I thought were weeds. There was this creeper with heart shaped leaves that was so to say invading my garden. She knew the name and she said it is called Amruthavalli having properties to cure diabetes. Then there was another one called vitamin leaves which she said was rich in vitamin C
    It is always good to call an expert before we uproot plants that we assume are weeds.

2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Yep, a lot of people assume the same as you. I used to have a large garden and so many different things growing on it. I bought one of those books that have all kinds of herbs, plants, and weeds listed, with illustrations and various details on how to recognize if something is a weed or not. I read it thoroughly before removing my weeds and you'd be surprised how many kinds there are!

Maybe looking into getting one of these books instead of hiring a person? Could be less costly and more educational.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not so sure there is anything we would call a true weed, more likely than not its just a plant growing in the "wrong" place.
    all plants have a function, we just have to find what that is.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    There is a weed here that we later learned is called tawa-tawa. They are almost everywhere around the house and mostly in the backyard garden. We always pull them out, of course, until someone pointed out that it is a good antidote for dengue. We did not mind that and continued in clearing out those weeds. And then one actress posted in social media that she was afflicted with dengue and she is looking for the tawa-tawa. I replied that we have it here. She sent her driver who arrived within 2 hours. We gathered the tawa-tawa and gave it to the driver. The actress was very grateful when she recovered after 2 days. The weed is rinsed clean then boiled to come up with tea. Add a little sugar to neutralize the taste. It's really proven, according to some doctors.

iamawriter likes this.
  5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Referring to a book would be difficult as unless one knows the name of a plant how can one find it in a book that has thousands of plants to be identified. Getting someone to help identify I think is more convenient and I doubt if they will charge a huge fee.
    That was my friend who did that to me over a nice cup of tea and cupcakes:)

6. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Basically, weeds are plants that grow in an unwanted place or area. All plants have their unique usefulness, only when they grow in where they are unwanted, are they called weed.

7. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    That is an interesting observation but sadly there are many that come under the category where their use is not known and are thus placed under 'weeds' . My garden is a fine example of that. However unless their use is well established one hesitates to consume them and that is what is happening in my case as well.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most fresh green shoots and leaves can be eaten, especially the new growth in the spring, later in the year it gets a bit hard and stringy and unpalatable.

iamawriter likes this.
  9. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I would never dare to eat anything that grows in my garden without knowing how safe it is to eat. Not all greens are safe. Some are even poisonous. Leave alone what we call weeds even those that are cultivated, all are not safe. Dieffenbachia for example is highly poisonous. Here is a link on this plant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieffenbachia

10. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if there is a system to give stars to great responses. This is one such great response.

I have a creeper that is meant for diabetics. I am not a diabetic and so just like you I too uproot it. I have several other herbs that my friend said could be consumed but not being used to being a guinea pig I hesitate doing so :) I never knew sweet potato leaves could be eaten. But this time I will try to eat them as many have already eaten and told me they taste great.

11. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I think you mean alleviate diabetes, hmm? Of course, I'm not saying it has no beneficial properties, but diabetes currently doesn't have a cure, at least a definitive cure anyway. You can use this plant with diet and exercise and hope it goes away. Anyway, it's good that you gave us this information. I was at church recently, and my parish wanted to cut the weeds. This woman recognized some herbs used for various kinds of tea like chamomile, we saw her gathering them, and we were so shocked. She said you have to have a good eye for plants. Many people do not, however. I have had conversations with individuals who don't know what a sunflower looks like, believe it or not. I absolutely agree that you should call an expert. This woman was very knowledgeable about plants, but I would by no means call her an expert. You don't want to give kids poison ivy! o_O

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    American Pokeweed

It can help you. It can kill you.

I've eaten heaven-only-knows how many bushels of it. This is poor-folk food. Gotta boil it twice, pouring off the water!!! Never harvest if it has any red color whatsoever!!! Mix with other greens such as kale, mustard, collard greens, ... . Harvest ONLY the new shoots coming up out the ground when they are less than a foot high and utterly without any red to be seen. Some will tell you that the berries are curative somehow/someway -- me, I say, stay away from the berries (and the roots) unless you want to get the death cramps. If you don't boil twice (pouring off the water left) and mix with other greens, this boiled salad will make you think your bowels are going to prolapse -- you'll cry to die. But if you do this right, they are just the best and cost you nothing to grow, for it grows wild. Pokeweed grows all around where I live and I must have at least ten plants growing wild in my yard right now.

http://nadiasyard.com/our-native-plants/american-pokeweed/

https://altnature.com/gallery/pokeweed.htm

https://www.drugs.com/npp/pokeweed.html

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/single_weed.php?id=112

13. Jewelweed

Jewelweed Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I haven't ever risked eating pokeweed but there are a lot of plants that are like it in that raw they are dangerous, even deadly. If picked in the right moment and cooked or treated properly, they're edible or medicinal. Take stinging nettles and boil them three times, rinsing between boils and changing the water. After they're cooked, half a cup of them has nearly half of your daily calcium needs, a third of the daily value of vitamin C and a couple of grams of protein. Just don't forget to look for the jewelweed before you start messing with the nettle.

My favorites that are easy to find and eat are the typical dandelions, broadleaf plantains in the yard, and kudzu (not the mature part of the vine itself - leaves, vine tips, shoots, and roots). If you have to hike or travel through the southern US on your way to your bug out location, kudzu is a plentiful source of food if you're far enough out to avoid possible pesticide or road exhaust contamination.

14. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I suspect that alot of weeds can be used, but dandelions are the ones you always hear about. Even though I think part of the dandelion is poisonous, I think it may be the flower, you can make tea out of the greens, use in a salad, make wine out of it. The uses are practically endless. In thinking about eating any plants found outdoors you really have to know what you are doing..I am thinking now of two children years ago from my hometown who ate plant like growth they thought were wild carrots, one died and another got very sick.