Basket weaving

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by acheno84, May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone tried the basket fish breeding technique? I can't think of the actual term for it but you basically tight weave a basket out of leaves, straw, whatever you have and you leave this basket in the water where small fish live. You can trap small fish in here and they will continue to breed. Although the fish are small, over time, you could be filling yourself up pretty nicely with them. My father in-law has this set up near his dock and he uses the fish in his basket for bait for when he goes fishing. I thought it was pretty innovative when I saw it.

Has anyone else done this?

2. audacior

audacior New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    This is the first time I have ever heard of this technique. How interesting. I'm wondering how big the basket has to be, and how the small the fish have to be for them to be able to live and breed inside the basket.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I think they do that in the rural area to aid the breeding of fish in the river. But the basket they make is mostly made of either bamboo strips or rattan. The basket serves as a shelter for the small fish and probably moss that develops in the basket can also be fodder for the fish.

There is a new technology that they are implementing - the concrete basket that they place in the sea for the breeding of fish. One fisherman said that the concrete is like an artificial coral reef. After submerging in the sea (or about 8 feet deep), it takes a month before the fish settles inside. If there would be lots of those concrete baskets then breeding of fish will be prolific that would benefit the fishermen.

4. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, @Corzhens , this is what I'm referring to. The basket he made is made from palm frond strands and is about the size of a basketball. Nothing too large, but it is deep enough to where the moss and natural habitat can grow. I need to have him send me a picture of it so I can show you how it's made. It's a neat concept for sure. Said he learned about it through talking to the natives in Vietnam during his tour. Could be why it's not too popular in the US.

Corzhens likes this.
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I think I know that palm frond you are saying. I just can't find the picture for now but I'm sure I have a shot in the camera. I forgot the name of the palm but I remember that it has fruits similar to pineapple. The natives in Batanes (that northernmost province of the Philippines) said that it may be edible but they don't eat it. And there was mention that the fronds are made into baskets although I have not seen a sample of their woven basket.

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the fish breeding thing, but I do have great interest in learning how to basket weave. My research has led me to YouTube. If interested in basketweaving, there are some great how-to videos there. I think it would be a valuable survival skill, if you were out in the woods, it might be quite important at some point, to know the proper way of weaving a basket.

7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts: