Being Trapped in an Elevator

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by gracer, Jul 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was really amazed at how a man was able to survive being trapped in an elevator for 7 hours amidst a massive fire. I saw this on our local news a few days ago and I really admired the person's creativity and presence of mind in an almost hopeless situation. The building caught fire while the man was trapped inside the elevator. Firefighters had a hard time rescuing him because of the extent of the fire. One of the firefighters even fainted because of the very thick smoke coming out of the building.

Good thing the man who was trapped inside didn't lose hope and he fought well for his life despite the circumstances. He had nothing with him to use as a shield from suffocation but he said he used his perspiration to wet his shirt and that's what he used to cover his airway for 7 hours so he could breath.

Your will to live is indeed a very strong fighting force to keep you going despite hopeless situations. I salute the guy for having the determination to survive.

2. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's amazing story. It's a good thing he didn't panic even though the situation was very beyond scary. I wouldn't have fared well if that was me, i'm claustrophobic and just thinking about being confined in a small space for hours makes me want to throw up.

gracer likes this.
  3. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    His story is indeed very inspiring. Many people can learn from it. I really admired his will to survive and presence of mind in handling his life and death situation. Just like you @iseeyou, I'm not sure if I could have done or thought of what he did if I were in his situation. I think one of the most important lessons one can learn from this story is to never ever give in to panic. :)

pwarbi likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It's stories like this that just shows you that we all have that basic instinct of survival, even if we don't think we have. A lot of people think that if they was caught in a situation like that then they'd panic and not last an hour never mind seven, but we're all a lot more resilient than we give ourselves credit for.

If you have the will to survive, unless the situation is hopeless then the chances are that you will, or at least survive for a lot longer than you initially think you would. As @gracer say's, we can all learn a lesson from this story, and if we're ever in a difficult situation, there is a lot to be said for keeping calm and thinking what to do just like the individual did in this story, and if he can survive for seven hours in a lift engulfed in flames, I'm sure we can also survive what we might have to go through as well.

gracer likes this.
  5. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The will to survive is very important. If you are determined to survive you will definitely make it. This was a very admirable story this person definitely had the will to survive.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we only have elevators in the cities, none near me, my previous wife would never go in an elevator as she was scared of this very thing happening.

7. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    He kept his composure and did not fall in front the panic, besides he seemed to have enough knowledge to know what to do at that moment, much was his perseverance and patience, well done by that man.