Do You Have Supply Drop Sites

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by SouthernMama, May 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone here have supply drop sites?

I have read that having supplies stored other places is a good idea.
    For me, I'd like to start storing supplies along our escape route. If we have to get out of town, I know exactly where we are going and have a couple of routes plotted out.

I know it may take a while to get there, especially if on foot so I will need food and supplies available along the way.

I need ideas on storing the supplies and ideas on hiding them along the way.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No I don't have drop sites, but then I am already living off grid in the forest. Personally I don't think caches are a good idea, unless you can guarantee that you will be able to get to them later. They could be found by someone else, or in the event of having to leave home you may not be able to go the way you had planned. Better to organise what you can carry & learn to hunt & forage. If you have family & or friends going with you then you could organise it so some people just carry food & water.
    If you do decide to make caches then I suggest using sewer poly pipes with screw on ends.
    Keith.

3. SouthernMama

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I don't live off grid in the forest. I live in town and would be traveling about 40 miles away to a site my family has chosen to meet up at. We have plenty of supplies there, but I worry about how long it may take me to travel the 40 miles if we are going on foot.
    I like your idea of using sewer poly pipes, those will be quite easy to hide. Thanks for the input!

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget you are not restricted to carrying a load on your back when travelling on foot, you can use a trekking trolley. These are pulled in the same manner as a Travois & are equipped with straps to fit your waist.
    Keith.
    [​IMG] This is a modern trekking trolley, one of many different types.

[​IMG]
    This is one I made from old wheel barrow parts & bush poles. I am making another from an old golf club trolley which has two wheels.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we call them caches, and I don't think they are a good idea unless you own or have control over where they are located.
    and even if you have, don't put anything in them you cant afford to lose.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I remember the activity we played during my girl scout days. In one camping trip, we were divided into 2 groups as a competition. We would hide our food supply for the opposing team to find and vice versa. The first one to find the food supply wins. It was fun and I didn't know that it will be important when doomsday comes. However, that girl scout game does not involve digging. We just hide the food like the way to hide the Easter egg. Anyway, my idea of keeping a cache of food is to dig a hole to hide the food. There should be at least 3 holes in different places that is at least 1 kilometer apart. When people find one hole, for sure they would dig again. That 1 kilometer distance will take care of being discovered easily.

7. SouthernMama

33/58

Blog Posts:

Wouldn't you worry that if you are traveling through town with all of your supplies on something like this, that it could be stolen from you? I will be armed and the oldest in my family will be armed, but if a group overtakes us, there go our supplies.