Don't Try This At Home

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Bishop, Jun 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

Really don't try this at home I really shouldn't be doing it myself

Koala likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Damn, you have some balls :) The only snake I touched was a small viper snake. We have some tall-grass areas around where I live and they lay everywhere! I don't like walking my father's dog anywhere near it because of that. Snakes make me a bit scared because of their eyes.

May I ask what sort of snake that is? and please be careful, haha.

3. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    It's a Eastern diamondback rattlesnake that's a small one but the small ones if they bite you will give you everything when they do

4. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I promise I won't do it! Especially because (thanks God) we don't have dangerous snakes here. I'd freak out. You're such a brave man. I think I can handle dangerous situations, but meeting with a snake like this, now that is something that I would't be able to handle.

5. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol would not call it being brave more stupid on my part

Koala likes this.
  6. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:

This is how I normally deal with a poisonus snake this is a cotton mouth

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Twenty/thirty year old memory: A Texas physician who had the honor (?) of being one of the most experienced snakebite-treating folk in the U.S., said that 90% of folk bitten by rattlers never heard it, never saw it. He said to use your walking stick to probe the other side of logs before stepping over them. He said to use a stick or tool to probe the rocks above you before just sticking your hand up there when climbing rocks. I've known guys who were stationed in the desert country of Nevada which is infested with rattlesnakes. They didn't make camp, they slept in their trucks at night; relieved themselves off the back gate.
    Question!
    I've no experience shooting snakes. I leave them alone or have just chopped their heads off with a shovel (rare that). You folk who've shot snakes, what do you all recommend firearm-wise? A revolver shooting bird-shot will make a doughnut pattern due to the rifling's imparted spin (unless you have leaded the rifling groves by shooting soft lead through it until it goes smooth-bore). Shotguns are the first answer to come to mind, but what about little shotguns? Anybody carry a little .410; what about a chopped-barrel 20 ga? I'd really appreciate some stories. I'm living in snake country now.
    There's the .410 Snake Charmer:
    http://askafirearmsquestion.blogspot.com/2015/02/firearm-forum-question-sporting-arms.html

Anyone had / used one of these? They are mighty cute.

8. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I use a sling shot 95%of the time 22 will work good too.

9. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Haha, brave and stupid then!

And the only rattlesnake I've seen was a timber rattlesnake in one of the aquariums that we visited. It had this really, really nice black pattern. They also had some others. The most impressive was the reticulated python. Damn that guy was scary! It was absolutely huge. I honestly can't imagine encountering one in the wild.

10. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    We have Pythons here in Florida now they have been catching some big ones I haven't gotten to see one yet but it gets a little colder where I live but one day I will get to go one on one with a big boy hopefully

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:18

My dad moved us into that county. My dad moved us out of that county.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the only venomous snake we have in the UK is the Adder and I haven't seen one of those for about 50 years, they slide off into the undergrowth long before you can get near them, seen plenty of shed skin but no actual snake .

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I went out to Big Spring Texas one time for the rattle snake round up and rodeo. People would go out and catch hundreds of rattle snakes and then bring them all back to the arena where they would do all sorts of utterly stupid things with them like get in sleeping bags then put several snakes in the bag with them and try to get out without getting bit!! They were milked for the venum then skinned cleaned and cooked The venom went to pharmaceutical companies that make anti venom, the skins were made into belts and hatbands and the bodies were fried up and sold at the round up. It actually is good.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...69B063BF45EC857E33F069B063BF45EC857&FORM=VIRE

The thing is it kept the population down in and around town and made it safer for kids especially. There were hills out there that were infested with rattle snakes.

They are totally crazy!!!

14. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    An absolute no-no. This shouldn't be even posted here. Some people are so daring. So today I read about a father who gave his child a present of the chance to swim with crocodiles, thats crazy. And the boy was happy, saying his next would be to swim with sharks. Just imagine this kind of scenario.

15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Actually what he did could become required by law soon. The Timber Rattler is already a protected species and the Eastern Diamond Back Rattler is being looked at closely and may soon be protected as well. While they give me the skin crawling willies Rattle Snakes are not an especially aggressive snake. They rattle so that you can stay away from them and if you do that you have little to fear. Even when handled they will nearly always try to get away rather than bow up and try to strike at you if you will just give them a chance to do that. The only snakes that I kill on sight anymore is a copper head. They don't warn you and are hard to see. They bite more people than nearly any other. The good news is their bite is mostly just painful and not so life threatening. I have a Grand Baby in my yard so no copper heads allowed.

16. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I kill poisonus snakes that are around my house or are or could be a threat to me my family or pet

17. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a pygmy rattlesnake I let him go he was way out in the woods.

18. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a cotton mouth and my dog scout is over on the left out of frame the snake died.

19. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    This one I took with my slingshot out in front of my house.

20. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    And this one I let go