Draw blade knife

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Tom Williams, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    This old school knife is used for shapeing wood its uses in a tool kit are many for survival.

2. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Since most survivors will find themselves situated in the woods, this object will certainly come in handy. Wood can be shaped to be a weapon, to be a fishing pole, to be a material for shelter, to be a hunting tool, for making fire and for many other useful purposes so hawing a tool for shaping it is definitely useful. The only problem is that it's a little impractical to carry around, because of its size and shape.

kJS9g6eAf-a3fubTPRHKSnVYSVylYdwl.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Thats a good point with one in photo yes its big and not handythe draw bar comes in different sizes i have a four inch a six inch a 8inch and i belive the one your showing is a 12inch. The six inch one is the one that i carry in my pack its sharp and very handy

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if your going to be working wood you need a selection of tools, a draw knife yes, also a spokeshave, maybe a good woodworking plane, some chisels, a hand drill, a "bit and brace" drill and a selection of drill bits, plus a decent hammer.

jeager likes this.
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have here the traditional folding knife that we call "Balisong" which was very popular in the olden days for its safety. When folded, you can put it in your pocket and there's no risk of being cut since the blade is neatly covered. It has many uses, from cutting food up to cutting wood. Yeah, there was a demo that I had seen where that folding knife could cut firewood. As the demo said, you wouldn't need any other cutting implement if you have the folding knife.

6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

LOL LOL LOL

I keep my knives around for more than flipping!! I also don't throw my knives around...to get them to stick. They are too valuable a tool to me to be throwing a knife. I've had balisongs....

I just bought three folding knives with D7 Tool steel blades..as I got tired of stainless steel. Most of the stainless out there does not well hold an edge.

I don't quite know what they have done to many knives today but they open very easily compared to older folders and or lockblades. And so too with these D7 Folders.

https://www.amazon.com/KUBEY-Foldin...41303993&sr=8-32&keywords=kubey+folding+knife

For those of us who know and regularly use tools...there are tool techniques which can get a tool to do more than for what it was originally designed.

Nonetheless...I have no plans to flip my knives or throw them. I don't get exited over this when I see it in movies.

I have one of these sitting in a corner....This is what I throw if needed...and I keep it sharp ...with a diamond hone..

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Assegai-Spear-Short/dp/B004YWK74E

Food for thought.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishamelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a half dozen draw knives and a couple of spoke shave draw planes for handle shaping and walking sticks. I have one that has folding handles that is fairly large but still very portable and had one made by the people that make the Mora knives that is small and light. I now NEVER loan my tools out. I replaced it with a very small antique draw knife.

Real Philippine made balisong knives are not like the Chinese Kung fu movie knives. They are very sturdy and are tools rather than toys. When locked up open they are as close as you can get to a fixed blade sheath knife and still put it in your pocket. Most of the ones that I have experience with are not loose enough to flip until they are workout.

Not I have to admit that I like butterfly knives and used to be able to make them sing and spin. I carried them when I was fishing because they were easy and fast to open one handed and were 100% stainless steel so wet and salt water didn't hurt them.

Before Texas made ANYTHING legal to carry, knives that you could open one handed in a hurry were a good choice for defense. I carried a Buck 110 for years that I could make pop out like a switch blade. Now I can carry my dagger or a Kabar short military . Hell's bells I can carry a sword if I want to! I've seen a couple of kids carrying a monster Bowie but I think that is silly and on a grown man stupid in a Walmart.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Third Pig

Third Pig New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I love edged weapons! Have several Draw Knives since I'm building a Cabin they are essential. Also practice with the Tomahawk and Bowie. I particularly like Benchmade and Cold Steel, Quality and durability.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like edged weapons too and also like to throw some of them. I never throw a stainless steel knife or a good hi-carbon tool steel knife. My throwers are all 1095 carbon-steel. I even have one of those Russian special forces shovels that you can throw. That thing is a true multi-function tool. It is a shovel that you can chop fire wood with and throw as a weapon or use as a battle axe.

A kukri is another multi use tool. I use mine as draw knife to strip bark off, shape and chop wood. I also can slice and dice with the part nearest the hand. It is also a very effective combat piece.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A draw knife is a good and useful tool in the hands of someone trained to use it. This is how many projects were done in the olde days when people had to select and often cure their own wood and then shape it into usefulness.

I find them at antique stores and sometimes at flea markets. I should buy a few of them and put them back.

Knowing how to keep one sharp is also a very useful skill.

At work...I know a lot of people who cannot sharpen a knife or any kind of blade...much less understand the kinds of edges needed for certain work...heavy duty versus light duty edges...the angle of your edge.

But these people can sure dull up a blade in nothing flat...and be stumped when it comes to putting the edge back...even a cold chisel or a center punch....astonishing.!!!

I often call this type of individual...."High Maintenance."

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. BalisongAndBicycle

BalisongAndBicycle New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Balisong daily as a tool and for self defense, but i also flip mine for fun, because ADHD is a sad, sad thing. There may be other knives that are far more useful in different situations or with different skill sets of their users, but my personal survival plans are all based on stealth, mobility and effectiveness, so i will carry mine, as i have honed my skills to it for many purposes. Since i carry my bali everywhere i go, it is likely that it will be on me when any event may occur, and i believe that the sort of chemistry i have with it, could easily pay great dividends at such a time, especially considering the ease of use, light weight, conservative size and many functions that it offers.

TMT Tactical likes this.