epsom salt around tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening' started by BeautifullyBree, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I recently spoke to a lady who had been gardening for many years. She told me I should try using a Epsom salt/water mixture around my tomato plants. She claims it will make your tomatoes bigger and juicer. I thought I would see if anyone can confirm this?..and share it in case it can help someone survive by growing food extra big and juicy!

John Snort likes this.
  2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I can confirm that Epsom salt actually does increase tomato yield. It also depends on how fertile your soil is. The more fertile your soil the higher the yield you'll get but there are no guarantees that you'll get larger tomatoes.

Apart from that Epsom salt can aid in germination of the seeds and plant growth. Afterwards, it will keep the plants green and bushy [which is why the one guarantee you have is a higher yield].

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Local gardeners apply it to tomatoes, peppers, and roses, they're hoping to produce more flowers, greener plants, and higher yields. You can use it to improve magnesium content if you know you have a deficient soil, plants such as tomatoes, peppers, and roses need high levels of magnesium for optimal growths. However, plants may not show the effects of magnesium deficiency until it's severe. Some common deficiency symptoms are yellowing of the leaves, leaf curling, stunted growth, and lack of sweetness in the fruit.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    main problem here is slugs.

5. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    Wow, thank you! That was very insightful. We actually just planted tomatoes so I will go add some tomorrow. Our yard seems to grow tomatoes pretty well. We had some randomly sprout out of our fire pit area last year. I can't wait to have producing plants!

John Snort likes this.
  6. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! I actually have roses too. I had no idea you could apply it to them. I will have to try that this year. My roses are wild white roses they don't require much maintenance, besides regular trimming.

7. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    We have actually had a bad slug problem this year. Do you know any tips on getting rid of them? We added Epsom salt around the edge of the house. We thought it might keep them away. Surprisingly it seemed to help a little.

8. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have heard of this before, but have not tried it yet. We don't really have a slug problem, but I can see how that would definitely draw them to the garden. Do you think it would work the same if you put some in a spray bottle and misted the area without literally leaving salt granules in the dirt? I just got some more tomatoes going so I'm going to try this and see how it works out. Is it better to do it when the plant matures or just whenever you start them out?

9. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    So do I do Epsom salt + water? Or do I sprinkle it around the plant? If it is the first option does anyone know the ratio? I have a history of badplantswith some plants, so I would like to be as specific as possible. Thank you!

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Slugs there is a slug killer on the market its apaste you ring the plant with that works veey well

11. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    What about about for the house? We have some that have been climbing around our porch. We only see them late at night or early morning. Its rather gross to be honest.