How Do You Slaughter A Live Cat Fish?

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Harrysung, May 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    In my place, when a live cat fish is to be slaughtered, because of its slippery nature it is not easy to slaughter like the other types, so we put it in a closed container then sprinkle salt into the container then shake so as to make the salt come into contact with the fish as much as possible. Because of the allergic nature of the fish to salt, after few minutes, the fish dies and now very easier to dissect.
    Nowadays when I hear or read of animal cruelty, I am kind of confused about the morality of the method we use at my place.
    Is this animal cruelty? How do you slaughter cat fish in your place?

The Innkeeper likes this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I whack them on the head with a fish hammer that I made. I do it for both the fishes sake and mine. I don't want it flopping around when I'm holding a razor sharp knife or running the electric filet knife. Another way that works and is humane is to put them in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Then take and old electric cord and put washers on the end that used to have the female plug on it. Drop those washers in the water on each side of the bucket and plug it in or flip the switch. A friend of mine ran a fish market where he sold live catfish. If you wanted them cleaned that was how he dealt with the issue.

3. sakakimakio

sakakimakio New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I saw them smack the head using a hammer or anything hard. Also, local people in my place said would be better to put them in a bucket of water, then grab a handful of salt and put it in. The fish will getting aggresive and slowly fainted. I tried and it take some times. Not recommended if you were too hungry tho. :(

4. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    When I learned to fillet. It was on cat fish. The guy would take a metal rod and push it into the fore head. Killed it quick and simple.

I don't bother with that. I just do my fillet thing and move on. I can fillet them pretty fast. I fillet almost everything I catch.

I wash them in water. No salt just wash them.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've never done catfish but I have fished for big eels, for conger and moray eels I stun them with a heavy blow to the underside of the head before taking the head off with one quick cut.