How To Throw A Tomahawk For Beginners.

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by Keith H., Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A throwing knife designed to be used for skinning & butchering as well as throwing.
    Keith.

bluebetta likes this.
  2. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Someone tried to teach me how to throw a tomahawk. Whenever it hit, it always bounced right off. But he had marked the ground where it was best for him to throw and didn't adjust the distance. Now I see that would have helped me to move closer perhaps. I was so frustrated when I couldn't do it! You really nail it. Do you have to put a lot of strength behind the throw? Maybe mine was bouncing off because I'm a weakling.

3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the width of the blade & the weight of the head. A narrow edge on the blade or a heavier head is more likely to stick in the target if not thrown with force. I throw hard, because in a real survival situation you would have to throw hard. When throwing against an enemy the object is to hit your target hard, even if you do not hit them blade first.
    Three other things can effect a blade not sticking in a wooden target: 1) the grain of the wood or hitting a knot in the wood 2) a blade is unlikely to stick in green wood & 3) not hitting the target blade first. You should not be throwing with a wrist action, you don't pitch the tomahawk, you throw it over-arm. Using the wrist puts too much spin on the tomahawk.
    Keith.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Using primitive tools and weapons such as this is always going to be hard work for us modern day people, and in a way I think we've been spoiled by the weapons that we have at our disposal no, and if we had to go back to the old days then many of us would be useless. We might be able to hunt now using long range rifles with laser scopes, but none of us can throw a Tomahawk properly.

Some of the weapons we have these days even 20 years ago we wouldn't have believed that we'd be using, and while technology as helped more than it's hindered, when it comes to blunting our hunting skills, it as been the biggest culprit I do think its been detrimental to us overall.

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "but none of us can throw a Tomahawk properly". Well obviously this is not correct, or I would not have been able to make this post in the first place. In fact thousands of 18th century Living Historians world wide use these tools & skills. But I do agree, the majority of so called "hunters" do not know how to hunt properly & need to use a modern firearm. We have so called "bushcrafters" using knives to split logs by hammering them with a chink of wood!!! A totally needless & pointless exercise that can break the knife, & this practice is now considered to be a skill!!!
    Keith.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Nice throwing demonstration, Keith. I was currently looking forward for a tomahawk throwing tutorial as I requested some time ago, thank you very much. You can tell by plain sight if you are near six or seven steps of distance from the target? How is called this kind of tomahawk?

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You start off measuring the distance, once you have mastered that, then you can try judging for yourself without pacing. I used to carry my tomahawk in the woods all the time, & whenever I came across a dead tree, I would judge the distance & throw. Now I can judge the distance right every time.

This type of tomahawk is also known as a trade axe. It has an oval or round eye so that the tapered helve/handle just drops into the eye from the top & does not require a wedge to secure the head (exactly the same as a mattock or pickaxe handle fits). These are made by some Blacksmiths & are sold off the shelf by 18th century Living History suppliers.
    Keith.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Endure likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well maybe I should have said that not many of us can throw a tomahawk properly instead, but you get the point I was trying to make. It's a skill that we're not born with as such and something that we'll only become good at by practicing and here in the UK where I live, we wouldn't get the opportunity usually to even get a go once at using a tomahawk.

Our survival skills are usually limited to what we learn in the Scouts and as you can imagine, tomahawks and learning to use other weapons won't be on the agenda. Learning how too use maps and a compass and how to start a fire is about as advanced as it get's I'm afraid!

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are out of touch pwarbi, the UK has a large Living History following with clubs, groups & even yearly Rendezvous. I was born in West Sussex, & still have family & friends in the UK. They keep me updated from time to time on Living History Rendezvous. Plenty of tomahawk throwing competitions in the UK, & many other primitive skills are learnt & practiced in these groups & at Rendezvous. If there were ever a SHTF situation in the UK, the people in these groups will stand the very best chance of survival. I recommend you join one if you can, they are also a lot of fun & family oriented.
    Keith.
    [​IMG] This is some of the members of Greens Rangers in the UK, one of the very best groups.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/18th-century-living-history-historical.html

http://greensrangers.proboards.com/

http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/