Identifying Poisonous Bugs

Discussion in 'Finding Edible Animals and Bugs' started by remnant, May 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    In situations me scarcity or emergencies, its not e wall in the park to know which are safe to eat or not. There are some indicators of potential toxicity like prepafoce of fangs, oozing coloured liquids and the prescence of a fixed sting among others like being multicoloured. It also pays to investigate the family groups of close cousins to familiarise yourself with potential toxicity. For instance, the ants family is generally known to be safe.

2. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Haha, what in the world would Make someone eat an ant. Oh

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

They taste good sweet and sour.

4. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Poor creatures. How in the world do you feel eating these. I guess it is not for any nutritional purpose just choice right?

5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would have to be really, really, bad for me to do that!
    I think I could always spear a fish or chase down a rabbit or something.
    Anything!
    I once saw a video of some idiot "he-man" teaching troops how to survive
    without a weapon.
    He had a live rabbit, ripped it's head off, and shoved it's neck stub in
    his mouth and sucked the blood out.
    Really?
    Come on now! That was just a demonstration of pure stupidity.
    First he was showing off his idiocy, then there are blood born pathogens
    from raw blood, and rabbits are notorious for carrying nasty bio organisms.

ALWAYS cook a friggin' rabbit!
    There is a reason prohibitions against eating blood are in the Bible.
    Leviticus 17:14 ESV / 76 helpful votes
    For the life of every creature is its blood: its blood is its life. Therefore I have said to the people of Israel, You shall not eat the blood of any creature, for the life of every creature is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off.

Genesis 9:4 ESV
    But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Didn't know that didja?

Why I refused a blood transfusion decades ago.
    I did just 100% fine without it.

6. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I think that I would be trying to find edible plants and not edible bugs, or wild rabbits for that matter, and I agree with @jaeger, those should be well cooked if you are going to eat one. Even if rabbits are plentiful, you need to be finding something else to eat besides rabbit, because it is well-documented about what is called "rabbit starvation".
    This was discovered in Alaska, when some explorers ran out of supplies and had to live on the wild rabbit that they caught. Wild rabbit has no fat in the meat, and what they were getting was solid protein, with no fats or carbs at all. Even though they were eating enough food to survive, they were actually experiencing the symptoms of starvation.
    It turns out that a person needs at least some fat in their diet to survive and not just pure protein. The Eskimos do fine on their diet , which is mainly fish or seals, or even whale, all of which have a high natural fat content, plus whatever seaweed they eat for greens.
    For a temporary situation, a person would do fine eating cooked wild rabbit, but it would still be good to have some edible leaves and greens cooked along with the rabbit.

7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    "rabbit starvation".
    Yes that is 100% real.
    Eating well cooked rabbit is fine but the rabbit protein is incomplete.
    Supplement rabbit meat with other meats whenever possible.
    Squirrel meat has many health benefits.
    As do other meats.
    Vegans won't do well in a shtf.
    That's just my opinion however.
    Other views on vegan diet 100% welcome.
    After all if I knew everything about diet and survival I'd be writing books.:D

8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    " The Eskimos do fine on their diet , which is mainly fish or seals, or even whale, all of which have a high natural fat content, plus whatever seaweed they eat for greens."

Posted by:
    Tumbleweed

I'm in love with her.
    I hope her hubby isn't the jealous sort. (and armed!):confused:

9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you now you will starve if you plan in spearing fish or running down a rabbit and the bugs and works have more protein than a egg if you don't like the ants being ate then your really going to hate the wasp larva listen to the message for all the fish spearing rabbit running down people out there and tell me what's in the message not what your seeing.

10. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    In warm months rabbits are wormy.... if cooked well they would be edible in a pinch. There is lot of bugs that would provide source of protein and nutrition if that's all there was. Grubs have a very high protein content, as does most types of larvae. Bugs can be beneficial in other ways, maggots as gross as they seem eat decayed flesh, and secrete a antibiotic. In past era's someone that was injured out in wilderness would have open wounds that flies would lay eggs, but not understanding bacteria and infection they would the maggots from the wound making infection more likely.

11. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Crazy people everywhere. That was how I saw someone eating coakroaches not even a daring situation. Sitting comfortably in his apartment.

12. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    At first sight, the only thing that makes me realize that some insect is dangerous is its color. If it's something very flashy / colorful, I'll stay as far as possible. :D

13. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Your dead on with that one

14. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I know. :) A huge thanks to my Biology teacher for this very useful and valuable tip! :D