It Pays To Be Alert

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by remnant, May 25, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I was working in a quarry trying to remove a huge tree stump which was blocking the work zone. After some time, I paused to figure out wrat to do next when the giant used stump rolled on its own accord and rested where I had been working on it. I escaped by the grace of God. It says to be alert to our sorroundings. Don't be paranoid but always evaluate your sorroundings.

Clara1993 and JimLE like this.
  2. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    exactly..i've avoided having vehicles from sliding onto me.,because of me paying attention like i needed to..

3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    yup.
    Situational awareness.

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think it's more of that human instinct to survive. I read that when predators are near, our body can instinctively know, and would give us warning signs and boosts to our reflexes and senses. We would feel danger, we would feel less sleepy, our digestive system and elimination system gets frozen so most of the energy would go to the heart and brain. That's why when in times of danger, you don't even feel like peeing, defecating, or vomiting. It's all on the senses, giving you the most chance to stay alive.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    trouble is most of the people these days have lost any instincts, they are too bound up with their mobile phones and modern technology that they will walk into all manner of situations.

6. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

^^^^That's the truth!
    So sad the their minds don't grasp what their eyes see.
    That included me! Not any more. I survived that one by either pure luck or a gift from God.
    I think it was 1971, Chrysler Twinsburg stamping plant.
    Being a stamping plant one can't hear anything and we wore earplugs anyway.
    I was walking to a break area when I heard many popping sounds then saw many workers running.
    That should have been a clue.
    A fellow came around a corner with a pistol in each hand and one in his waist band.
    Being a young country boy and a gun person I thought he might want to sell them.
    duh!
    So I said "hi" to which he pointed a gun at my face and fired.
    And missed. I just stood there numb with disbelief.
    He turned and shot another guy in the back, then shot another in the chest twice, then another
    in the guts, then blew his brains out.
    I was still standing there numb and dumb.
    Today I think my innocent non reaction was why he didn't shoot me.
    I'll never know.
    To this day I'm jumpy as heck at loud unexpected noises.

7. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    That's true! All sense organs are embedded into their phones, it just makes me remember a proverb in my place that says :" Alertness is the reason why elders live so long". I think also the issue of selfie in dangerous situations is also a bad habit people cultivate these days

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "common sense" just isn't common any more.

jeager likes this.
  9. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I would say that the post above yours proves different. Survival skills might be one thing, but survival instincts are completely another story. Our bodies would surely give us the boost to exceed our "limits" and do crazy things we never thought about doing before. It is a primal instinct and it will never die out. It is just rusty and is kept aside nowadays, but if you ever ended in a dire situation, those instincts would probably be what will save you and give you enough strength to endure certain stuff

10. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    No it isn't.

People in Europe seem to have lost survival instincts.
    It seems some just stand/sit/cower and let themselves be butchered.
    "common sense" should dictate fight or flight.

11. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Speak for yourself and your great country. We do not need to carry guns around to feel safe. All the terror has came to Europe because of your actions and "protecting the world" by invading others.

Shall we speak about Vietnam War and Napalm? Since you like to post a lot about Europeans, terrorism and Islam, let's see how many people have you burned alive during the Vietnamese war? How many innocents have you killed by drone bombing? Do you find any of these survival instincts? Do you believe any of these are humane as well?

Your napalm has surely left a terrible stain on humanity. Yet you always seem to find a way to tell others how bad they are.

12. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:

Just wondering have you put time In uniform for any one

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    jeager likes this.
  13. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I was given and offer and I have gladly denied it. I am no murderer and I do not want to be anyone's weapon. Our lands have seen enough war already, even worse, there are so many mass graves around done by men in uniform that is clear enough reason for me to not wear one. I have no plans to be anyone's tool, especially not for politics and economy.

14. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Just wondering

15. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Wondering because I have a lot of discussions about such topic with jeager? If that is the reason, I am doing it just because he is blind to see certain things and almost comes out racist at times when talking about religion.

16. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    How can one be racist about religion?? race has nothing to do with religion and religion has nothing to do with race!

jeager likes this.
  17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    @
    Nela Civobeg
    I'm a racist religionist?
    It just happens I was raised the only white boy in an all black neighborhood.
    I thought "honky" was my nic name.
    All of us were dirt poor and we only had one another.
    Mom worked in a bakery and walked to work at 4 am so she took us to
    the neighbors who had six of their own kids.
    The kid's mother would put sis and I down with her six then get us up for breakfast
    and send us off to school.
    My first girl friend was a black girl crippled with polio.
    So much for being a racist.
    I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, baptized as a Baptist, my uncle was
    a minister in a Church of Christ and our police chaplain was a Catholic
    priest.
    So much for religious discrimination.
    I was educated at a liberal state college where I earned one degree
    and the other degree came from a Presbyterian Christian university.
    So much for being closed minded about religion.
    Now be a good boy and try not to be so hostile.
    There are NO Christian organizations that openly call for "jihad".
    Just sayin'.

18. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    jeager likes this.
  19. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Nice try mate, but you got it wrong ;) Its Begovic, reversed, just like Nela. But Kudos for trying and going off-topic.

And jeager, did you miss me? I surely missed your posts. How ignorant can one be, I wonder :)

20. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    You should be, especially when you're driving. People underestimate this but driving on the road is a high-tech version of Darwin's natural selection. I'm serious. Think about it. People get into so many accidents and do the dumbest things. Why do you believe the law is so strict with drivers, especially on road tests? It's so that the good drivers can prevent the bad ones from causing any more damage. They can't do anything about the bad drivers out there. Natural selection will take care of them, but good drivers can be trained. Just a thought on how an everyday situation tests your alertness. Maybe it's just new driver nerves speaking. Also, my grandmother almost got hit by a tree through the window during a storm. Good thing she was alert as well.

21. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    It pays to be attentive to our work environment. I had a workplace accident some months ago but was saved by God's special grace. One major thing to always do is to take safety very serious, bearing in mind that safety for one is safety for all. And its cheaper to be safe than the other way round.

22. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    hi Lonewolf, You are right dear :) we are addicted to our mobile phones and sometimes we don't pay attention to where we walk or focus on what we are doing it's a bad habbit to be controlled by technology and I think it's not good to always stay in Phone zone!! That kills mind and now people don't have good converstions because you'll find everyone busy with his phone! Can't wait to see how the world will be in 10 years!!

23. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Just five seconds off the road has caused more car crashes than any other factor. Being alert at all times is so important, especially if you are in unfamiliar environments. Keep your eyes and ears open for any type of strange noise or sound. If you are alone, lock all the doors and stay inside, If out in the open, find a position where your back is against a wall and the view before you is clear.

24. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, being alert and vigilant goes a long way. Always try to be wary of your surroundings if you really value your life.

A lot of people's deaths could have been avoided if they were alert of their surroundings.

25. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    One activity that requires alertness is when you are driving on the roads of Metro Manila. Motorcycle riders have the habit of crossing your path or cutting your path that if you are not alert, surely you will have an accident. Worse, when you scold those riders, they would pick a fight with you for the reason that I am rich with a car and they are poor hence they have only the motorcycle. Such stupid reasoning, tsk, tsk.

26. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, i find that situation awareness is just as important if not more than survival and self-defense skills. The thing is the world is a place full of dangers. But these dangers they don't come to you from nowhere. Every potential threat has got to come from somewhere till it gets to you. If you can identify where it is coming from you have a much better chance of avoiding it.