Living by the dam

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by Corzhens, Jul 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I had a chat with a native one time when we were in a water reservoir. He said that in the olden days when there is shortage of food, people would flock by the side of the dam and stay there for days or even weeks for survival. The problem usually occurs when there is a drought. But living by the dam gives them security for food which is available in the water - fish, snails, water hyacinth and even birds that inabit the dam. And what's good is the cold weather at night which gives them a sound sleep.

That gave me an idea that when a disaster occurs and there is shortage of everything, I guess it's a good idea to evacuate to the nearest dam.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="Corzhens, post: 11122, member: 1386"That gave me an idea that when a disaster occurs and there is shortage of everything, I guess it's a good idea to evacuate to the nearest dam.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing new to this concept as indigenous people have been known to move to different camps for better food supply. When the salmon was swimming up river they'd move to the river side camp, if the buffalo was in the plains, they' move there.

As for you idea to move close to the dam in a disaster situation, I don't like it. You have no security or provisions. Besides flooding is a disaster especially in the Philippines. A dam is the last place you want to be next to.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the disaster. If for example a virus is killing people then you'd have to stay away from any places where you'll come in contact with infected people. If it's a man made disaster then maybe the water in the dam might be contaminated. Anything you that is in that water could kill you.

However if it is a drought then living by the dam certainly is a good idea.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree, when looking to settle you should always take a good water supply into consideration for drinking & for food. Water attracts wildlife.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Cattail Pond attracts a lot of wildlife as well as a source of fish.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    setting up camp by a river or stream is one thing, but camping by a dam or reservoir is something else, in a SHTF event its probably not a wise thing to do as other people will migrate to the same spot, not only are they using the same water, knowing people as I do they are probably using it as a toilet as well, not withstanding the chemical run off from farms surrounding the dam or reservoir.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    With noone working gates of water flow below dam danger of flood. Allso i agree state parks and dams main rivers are going to get alot of people headed to them

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Any body of water will attract people, care will need to be taken when following creeks & rivers. I would recommend setting up camp/home some distance from the water, preferably out of sight. Rivers & creeks are a source of food, so there may be competition for this food if one group finds a particular area to settle. For instance; I would be looking for cattails/Goonagurra. This is a valuable source of food, tinder & shelter construction material. But unless it is a very large area, then it may only supply a small number of people. So a seemingly "best" area may also be a dangerous area to settle. Intruders coming after you have chosen the spot would need to be moved on, OR, you would have to move. There is a lot to think about when looking for an area to settle in the wilderness.
    Keith.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in an area with plenty of rivers, mostly coming off the high moors, also several reservoirs and although these would seem an ideal place I would forego them for the above stated reasons.
    i'll be looking for an area with a spring, I say" looking" but I've located several such areas already.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    In tropical zones where I hail from, dams are e bit far between. It would be easier to move into forests which border the numerous streams in the country side where there are enough birds and beasts not un mention insects.

10. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Not to mention when another SHTF event suddenly happens such as overflowing of the dam. I've heard many stories regarding such thing and it's devastating. Dams can be deadly sometimes.