Post Apocalyptic Trading System

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by thePENofGODx0x0xz7, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If everything collapsed including the money system how would you approach the post apocalyptic world?
    Imagine that a small community of survivors was all that was left.
    Now an agreed upon way to trade goods is the only way to keep the peace,
    what system would you set in place?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Why would I want to trade away the items I need to keep? Why would anyone spend money pre shtf purchasing items for trading post shtf when they can spend that money on purchasing everything they need? In a survival situation, trading is unnecessary & dangerous. I can't think of a single survival situation where if you have prepared properly you would need to trade.
    Keith.

3. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think working for your food is a pretty good system. Anything you need, you work or trade something you can get for. That way, anyone can get the basic necessities. Getting the goods yourself and then becoming the person people come to trade for, can also be hugely beneficial. If you're the main supplier of food in a community, and people come to you for food, you can basically get any other thing you want with minimal effort. You can get them to do any job, or trade you anything you want. (Such as water, toilet paper, beds) Really, anything you could want.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep saying trading(or services) wont be safe post shtf, but if you want to take your chance, carry on don't let me stop you!!:Djust tell me where to deliver the corpse:rolleyes:

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I get the feeling that some people don't actually read the replies, others read the title without reading the article & assume they know what it is about!!! Also a lot of questions being repeated because they are not searching the forum.
    Keith.

6. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    what types of things would you consider good for bartering?
    there are many things of value but what defines something as valuable.
    I know that some people store up gold and silver, which might be good for an economic collapse but what good would it have in SHTF? do you think people would still value it enough to trade their things for? or would it be useless because it has no survival benefit (ie. you can't eat it or stay warm with it). what other things would be valuable to trade here is a small list of things I could think of
    antibiotics
    medications
    medical supplies
    alcohol
    tobacco
    any type of fire starter
    any camping supplies
    food
    clean water/means to clean it
    warm clothes (dependent on environment)
    fuel (gasoline, diesel, lamp oil, propane heating oil, seasoned firewood)

I have purposely excluded knives, guns, and ammunition because I think that handing someone the tools to cause you harm is not a good idea. what are your thoughts on this?

barter would be a good way to get something that you need or want when you don't have it and could be a mutually beneficial arrangement. it does, however, carry with it the risk that the people you are trading with will then know what you have and might want to take it from you. not everyone can buy and store everything they night need for every disaster so I think that the ability to trade with those around you may be beneficial in some cases. one must always ask if the pros outweigh the cons

7. Nomad

Nomad Member
      11/25

Blog Posts:
    My skills and knowledge would be a tradeable commodity! i would only trade for goods or knowledge i did not have !

Lee CT NE likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I do not think it is worth the risk trading, just too easy for others to kill you & take what they want. But if you were to try & trade, any & all of the items you list would be good James.
    Keith.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that trading/bartering will not be possible until a long time post SHTF, i'm talking many months, maybe years, in the meantime we have to hunker down and be self reliant and actually survive on our own or with our family's until it is safe to even meet others without being attacked for what we might have.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.

lonewolf likes this.
  11. Nomad

Nomad Member
      11/25

Blog Posts:
    I agree ! once things settle down and the rifraf is subdued the rebuilding and trading can start!

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    both these things depend on numbers(of survivors), the lower the number the longer it will take.
    they only could build Stonehenge because the population had grown enough to make it possible.

13. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Survival First and Foremost - That includes security of yourself and others in your "tribe".
    I agree that trading would be something that would develop in the future after an apocolytic event.
    I live in a rural agricultural community and we already have a loose-knit "tribe" of like believers and prepareres. We also have some basic plans for a "militia" to protect ourselves.
    Once things settle down, then I would concentrate on marketable skills of mine, recharging batteries via solar power, and bartering various "extras" I have included in my supplies.

14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Russia and China Raid Gold Amid Basel III Scramble"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2021-10-10/russia-and-china-raid-gold-amid-basel-iii-scramble

"As the scramble to unwind allocated positions ahead of Basel III continues, Andrew Maguire reveals that Russia and China are seizing the opportunity to grow their already substantial physical gold reserves.

"With Options Expiry price-capping playing out exactly as predicted, the long-time wholesaler explains why he believes gold is coiled to break through crucial resistance and silver is extremely structurally bullish."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Post apocalypse trading system"...do you think there will be anyone to trade with after an apocalyptic event? I dont, any survivors would be low in numbers and spread far and wide, even in a country the size of Britain.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If there is a trading system then on my scale it likely hasn't reached apocalyptic . I prepare so that I don't have to depend on someone else's resources . However my preparations are for the level of apocalyptic and infinity . --- If someone is truly prepared , I see no reason they would show up wanting to trade with some individual that failed to adequately prepare . Only a bunch of desperate and unprepared individuals would likely show up wanting to trade to hopefully fill their inadequate preparation void . --- I certainly wouldn't want to show up at location to hear all the pleading and begging from the desperate people that might actually show up for such an event . Next those desperate people would be at your house banging on your door pleading for your generosity .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prepare so that I dont have to rely on anyone outside the home for anything, skills or goods,
    but then I prepare for the big one, total WTSHTF, and I dont prepare for the event itself which I can do nothing about personally, but for what comes after, the collapse of society and the collapse of supply chains and all the systems that kept so called civilization functioning.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Without any medical people, a broken femur = death. Appendicitis = death. And if there are only a few pockets of people, among those people will be some seriously desperate, MEAN people, so you'd better have a repeating firearm and plenty of ammo. It's easier to plunder than do for yourself -- at least that's true in the minds of aggressive people. Looting has become a recreational sport in America. It's the new Redistribution.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the cities I agree about the mean people. as for medics I doubt many would survive especially in the UK as most live and work in the cities where all the rioting and looting desperate sheeple also live.

20. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    --- This is what a post apocalyptic trade meet would look like

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    trade meet, or is it trade MEAT???:p

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There will be a lot of people left after the fall Lonewolf. The cities and places with a lot of people and almost no available food sources will experience an almost total wipe out. the people that live in the more rural places that live close to the land will suffer a lot of losses but not a total die off.There are 8 billion people on this planet even if 99% die there will still be millions of people left.

A lot of it depends heavily on which of the many possible worldwide disasters hit us. Something that caused a total systemic collapse like some sort of blast from the sun that wiped out everything electrical would leave the people in the cities having to walk out so if you are a long way from those big cities you might not have the swarms. The same might be true of some sort of virulent plague.

A social collapse where the city services were just cut off might send hords of the people leaving the cities but I honestly think that the vast majority will just sit and wait for help to come to them until it is too late. Rolling out into the rural places may not be all that easy. Small towns can’t handle a lot of people and WILL block of the roads and exits forcing the people to move on down the road. I saw this actually happen with one of the big hurricanes.

The sad thing is that most of the city people won’t know what to do with food that is on the hoof and will waste most of the meat AND get shot and killed by the owner of that beast. It will get horrifically ugly…for a little while. Once the idiots either starve to death or get killed the survivors will be a different sort of person.

People that look to others for support will die. Sadly, those that can’t defend their place because they won’t kill a trespasser will die. I like the signs that say, “Trespassers will be shot…Survivors will be shot again! There will be no place among those that survive for softness. Starving people are vicious animals and will kill you without pause for what little you have.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Tens, even hundreds, of millions of people will survive in the Southern Hemisphere. Many millions of poor people around the globe have no electricity, grow their own food, and use well water. Add to this how isolated some of these people are. Some do not see people from the outside world for months or years.

Unless the Northern Hemisphere goes full nuclear war, lots of people living in agricultural areas will get by one way or another. Mexico pumps its own oil and refines it. Rebuilding coal-fired electrical generating plants is not high tech. Poor folk will live through the weeks / months of blackout.

South Africa may not do well because of their overpopulation and their getting rid of white farmers who are the only ones using tractors and modern farming techniques. One can always put a point-type distributor and regular carburetor on a truck or tractor. I once had an old truck and had its computer-controlled system replaced with a regular carburetor and ignition system. I was working for a major international electronics concern and I wanted a truck that would keep on trucking through an EMP-rich environment -- the Cold War was still very alive back then. The company I was working for was right in the middle of that affair. Plus, we had little kids and I wanted them to make it through very bad times. We could have very easily had the balloons go up.

As for the sun being flatulent, Quebec 1989:
    https://awakeandaware.ca/march-13-1989-a-cme-wiped-out-quebecs-entire-power-grid/

The Russians continued to use tubes in their aircraft well into the 1980s, maybe longer yet. The reason was to survive and fight during a nuclear war. Our military aircraft have triple-redundant computers and multi-nested Faraday cages. Military equipment has to run even during a nuclear war or during a really bad solar flare event. Same is true in factories -- you can't have your electronic equipment drop dead Fred just because someone is TIG or MIG welding right next to your control devices. All modern factories would be dead by week's end if they didn't protect against radiated and conducted electromagnetic radiation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I worked in the Energy Management Field (EMS) and I can testify to the fragility of electronic systems. One building had electronic door locks and when the system malfunctioned, nobody could get into the building. I had to jimmy the lock on a window to get inside and then bypass the door locks. A board failed and because the locks were connected to a normally closed relay, the magnetic door locks automatically locked. Small component in a major system and everything came to a halt. Modern buildings do not have triple redundancy. If the building operation is lucky and the design engineer had the money and was smart enough, the manual building systems were left in place with a simple transfer switches incorporated. Building generators are typically sized to run for short time frames, not to replace the utility company. They will either run out of fuel or over heat if operated for a long duration. I have several horror stories were the backup generators failed or had to be baby sat to keep them in service. During a major grid down the technicians will not be around to keep these complex systems operating, they will be at home protecting their families. I enjoy all my modern creature comforts but I also plan to live without them. EMP or CME events are beyond my ability to prevent and the cost to try and protect all my electronics are not cost effective for their limited value. I will not convert my truck to a distributor system, as there will not be any fuel available to run it. The same logic applies to all my other electronic components. Won't need my computers as there will not be an internet and all my important information has been printed out. Phones will become paper weights. Cooking will be done over a cast iron grill. I plan to be able to live in a buckskin world if it becomes necessary.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    even a mortality rate of 90-95% will leave a population of 6 million - 3 million in the UK, that sounds like a lot of people but prior to the industrial revolution circa 1750 the population was 6 million and people werent exactly overcrowded(until they went to live in the cities) most lived in small towns, villages and hamlets and didnt go any further than the next town or village for market days, during The Black Death/Plague the population went down to 2 million, whole villages were wiped out in some places.
    the problem with modern city populations is unlike earlier times they have very little or none of the knowledge of where their food comes from, most eat "ready meals" which are mass produced in a factory, it has been said that modern Briton's are 4 generations removed from the land-a generation is taken to be 30 years, so survival for most would seem on that basis to be between slim and impossible, and any that did would be spread far and wide all over this nation of ours.

26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In any electrical grid shutdown for a few weeks, the urbanites are goners. This is especially true of those who live inside the gargantuan urban sprawls. Example, the urban corridor/cancer that spreads from Washington D.C. to Boston -- these folk are totally dependent on electricity and food from America's Heartland.

Many will panic an predate. This will NOT be received well in surrounding areas. Violent conflict is certain to occur.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Without power the water stops. Imagine HYC or LA without water. Among the other problems also while you are at it remember that no water means the toilets don't flush. Almost immediately the situation is going to get "crappy"! Yes, unfortunately Thomas Crappers great innovation the modern flush toilet will become a fond memory. Within a matter of a few days EVERY possible water source will be polluted and diseases like typhoid will raise their ugly heads.

People generally don’t understand the REAL ecology of a major city. Most of its infrastructure is underground, unseen and forgotten. When it starts of break down it will drop like a house of cards in a tornado. One day it is there and then the next it is GONE and a place like NYC or LA will become an uninhabitable city of the dead. Smaller cities will last a little longer mostly because they don’t have the HUGE high rise apartment buildings that allow the population per square mile/kilometer to skyrocket.

If you think that you will be able to drive out you will either be among the few that left FAST and early or one of the millions that will die stuck in a world last and largest traffic jam EVER. There will be the quick and the dead!! I’ve actually seen this in a couple of hurricane evacuations. People pile up and the traffic slows to a stop and then the idiots sit there with thir cars running to keep the all important AC running until their car over heats and dies or they run out of gas. At that point the 6 lanes of highway became an almost permanent parking lot from hell filled with hot angry people that thought that supplies for evacuation were a bag of chips a candy bar and a soda. They fot THIRSTY fast and it got ugly.

Those people survived because the problem was localized and people from places unaffected came to help. Eventually there were wrecker trucks from all over show up to help untangle the mess. UNDERSTAND in a total systemic collapse like we are talking about, not only will there be no help coming but rapidly the locals are going to become VERY unfriendly. I’ve seen that too.

For one thing cell phones don’t work well in situations like this. The nearest tower gets overloaded. They told everyone to stop calling and talking and ONLY text. Without modern communications and transportations you suddenly are in a much bigger world. I live in the country outside of a tiny town. For me it is a 50 mile round trip to go to a Walmart, Doctor, Pharmacy….whatever! That isn’t a big deal now but would be impossible on foot. Bicycles will be priceless.

We have horses here but it is something like one horse per several hundred people and we have a lot of horses compared to lots of places. We actually have apartment complexes that also have connected stables, arenas and riding trails. There is a church near me that has a PRCA rodeo arena attached to it and they have events after church. I have seen people on horses in line at restaurants for take out. We will be better off than most places but it will take a long time to ever again reach the level of the old west where everyone has a horse, mule or oxen. Working the land and transporting things with only human power is brutal.

We have become totally and absolutely dependent on a very specific level of technology that even a small drop will most likely created a total fall. REAL fast the life expectancy of a child born will drop to about 35 years of age. Lots of kids die young, lots of women die from issues connected to child birth and little things that now we fix with a pill or a quick surgery and a couple days in the hospital will again be TERMINAL.

Things that we don’t have to think about now will return. Burying your dead may well be beyond your ability. There was a reason that many cultures burned their dead on a funeral pyre. In places in the East they do this along the side of the river and then push the ashes and whatever didn’t burn into the river for the fish. THINK about it because things like this will become REAL in a world just possibly around the corner.

There are so many things that just happen FOR us without thought. We take them for granted but for most of history they were not a given.

We could very well end up like the Mayans. They had a hiccup and just fell to nothing. They lascked a couple of major things. The wheel and large animals of burden. I suspect that they had a drought and had no ability to transport large quantities of food over the longer distances that it suddenly took due to the drought. You have to dig DEEP to find mention of it but you know how they took people up on their pyramids and cut their heart out as offerings to their gods? Well after that they most likely fed the bodies to their starving people. When you find LOTS of human bones with knife marks like you find on a butchered animal it is a sure sign and there is a lot of that around sone of the Mayan and even Aztec deserted cities. When people are starving, they will eat anything that they can get.

I see a lot of our future in the past of the South American Civilizations.

LOL, Being on Dialysis gives me a lot of time to read and write...

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.