Skunk Spray!! What are some ways to get rid of that god awful smell?!

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by richj8am30, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have read that charcoal or ash are great in masking most of the odors that take place in the wild. Do you think that this would help with dispelling the smell of skunk spear? If not, then what will?

2. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Sweet stinging nettle juice is a great herbal solution that has certain acidic qualities. These qualities help it to break up certain strong smells that may settle in the air. Skunk stench will possibly have the same outcome. The only problem is that it is not easy to get, but it does have multiple health benefits besides being an effective deodorizer.

3. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    One way that you will be able to eradicate the foul odor of an inconsiderate skunk is by teh natural version of some of the smells that we use in the house. Pine is a great example of this. You can steep pine wood needles after you boil them in order to give off a pleasant smell. This will work so much better than using tomato juice. This is because the actual tomato smell will not out last the skunk oil when it is sprayed on you.

4. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have heard the same thing about charcoal and ash. I think it would work for skunk spray. I hear that the tomato juice trick is not good for long term. Laundry detergent helped on one of my dogs before, but you have to really water it down so it doesn't affect skin. I have never heard of the pine scent, but I would imagine it would be a good mask at least. Good luck getting that horrible smell out.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have heard that bathing in tomato juice helps take the odor off of a person. If the smell is on cloth, I would wash it in baking soda then hang it out for several days in the sun. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The only option I know of to get rid of a skunk's scent is tomato juice. You can use tomatoes, rubbing them on your skin, as well. Another option is to use spaghetti sauce. I know know what it is about the tomatoes that cancels out the smell, but it really does work. I would suggest using a bit of baking soda to scrub off any scent you might run into. It's also a great idea to have some body spray handy. Your best bet for ridding of a skunk's scent is to wait it out. Sometimes time is the only thing that will be on your side. At least you know that the smell will go away with time, if none of the suggested methods work for you.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    My dog got sprayed by a skunk one time. I researched it online, then went to Walmart at 2:00 am to get my ingredients. It worked pretty good too. This is what I did:

Mix the following:
    • 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
    • 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    • 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
    • Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
    • Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
    • Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
    • For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

richj8am30 likes this.
  8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Our dog used to battle with a skunk almost monthly. He was quite rambunctious and very stubborn. He never did learn his lesson. We always bathed him in tomato juice. Sometimes it took repeating the process before it really did any good, but the improvement was amazing. Perhaps I just have a sensitive nose!

9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The best is skunk out. Sold at tractor store it washes the smell out and off quick

richj8am30 likes this.
  10. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank You. Will do, this seems like a very thorough solution and I wouldn’t mind trying it out. First skunk I see is gonna get it. Just kidding.

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Easy quick no mixing buy skunk out at a local farm store or hardware a few bottles never goes bad and works well

12. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have used the solution that cluckeyo mentioned above. We were out camping last summer, and out of the blue we smell a really bad stinch. Our dog was sprayed down bym what smelled to be, a hundred skunks. We tried using the tomato juice, but that did not get out all of the smell. We searched online, and asked friends, and we came across the peroxide, dish soap, baking soda solution. We sprayed down everything, and scrubbed the dog from head to tail (twice). Needless to say, it worked. We grew up always thinking take bath in tomato juice. I think if the odor was not as strong as it was it may have worked. Definitely try this if you ever need to., especially if you got sprayed down bad.