Small rodent trap (mice,gerbils,rats)

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by BeautifullyBree, May 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    When trying to survive you never know what skillset you might need. I decided to share a little random knowledge. If you ever need to trap a small rodent try to guestimate the size of the animal. You will need a round hollow pipe of sometype. One end will need to be closed off, and anything will work use your imagination. Small rodents are attracted to these type of enclosures. When you see it go inside simply tip it upwards, closed side down, and the animal will not be able to escape. Happy trapping!

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I have enough rodents to make it practical to set and watch for one to enter a trap , but have seen places that would make watching a trap practical . During the apocalyptic , sacrificing even a small amount of food to bait a trap would be hard to do . That's why I was looking at live rodent traps on eBay . They would require little food sacrifice to bait . Then by using the rodent trapped in a see through cage as bait , could hopefully trap a predator that would be more desirable to eat . The live see thru rodent traps sell for about eight dollars . Just thought I would bounce this idea off you guys before I layed my hard earned dollars down .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can see a catch 22 here. If you have rodents, then yo may not have many predators around or the reverse. Just my wondering mind.

poltiregist likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see the point in trapping a rodent alive in a cage, if I want to trap a rodent I use the plastic traps available on ebay, the old fashioned wooden ones aren't strong enough, and remember to tie them off as a strong rodent could make off with the entire trap.
    I know these traps work because I have used them myself.

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Many people like a bucket and bottle trap because it works so well. (See the link for more info.) It is perfect to put in barns and other places where you want a repeater action to catch lots of rodents without having to reset it. Some prefer to fill the bucket half-way with water so that the rodents die, but that's during pre-SHTF times, lol.

But if times are hard and rodents are on the menu, don't add water to the bucket. It would be best to trap them live, then dispatch them just before butchering. (Eating animals that have been dead for an unknown amount of time is not considered safe. And, generally speaking, freshly killed meat just before butchering tastes better.) Because rats can jump quite high, and may even have extra leverage by jumping off of each other, I would use a deeper barrel or bucket than the one pictured at this link.

There are also a few other clever traps described here:

https://macgyverisms.wonderhowto.co...ke-simple-no-kill-trap-for-mice-rats-0147621/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Trapping rodents should be something a prepper should consider . For some it might be a meal . For others it might be considered bait for something more desirable . As a novice trapper as a kid , I found while trapping coons and such a baited trap was way more productive than a non-baited trap .

TMT Tactical likes this.