The Instinct to Survive VS Readiness to Die

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by ziskasun, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    There is a delicate balance between the instinct to survive and the readiness (or willingness ) to die. Maybe there are some situations in which fighting to live is what is needed, such as protecting your family. There could be other situations in which it becomes apparent that death is imminent. I believe that we need to live in a state of readiness to do either one.

Living in a state of mind where you are afraid of death could cause mental and spiritual stress just like figuring out how to survive in a crisis (if you are unprepared) could cause stress. Many people understand the benefits of preparing temporally for a crisis; storing food, putting some cash or gold up, learning to use a weapon etc. People even understand how to prepare temporally for death; they have a will written up, plan a medical directive, or do a pre-paid funeral etc. But we tend to ignore mental and spiritual preparedness.

Mental and spiritual preparedness may involve things such as learning how to react calmly to the unexpected, interacting with agitated / fearful people, or developing a center of peace that you can draw on in the midst of chaos.

Being physically or temporally prepared certainly goes a long way and even contributes to mental wellbeing, however, we cannot neglect our need to be prepared in all areas. Physical and temporal things can be destroyed, stolen or washed away in a flood, but mental and spiritual things will always be there when you need them.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Survival instinct is preeminent to the readiness to die. To face death willingly rather than follow your instinct in order to avoid, requires some serious determination. I feel that the readiness to die is resignation, and that's respectable. I know people that would rather die than fall into a deep coma, or a terminal disease, given the case.

But I understand, to die immediately instead of prolonging the suffering. As one grow older or face dangerous situations regularly, mental preparedness could help to relieve lots of stress.

3. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would say to just accept that death is gonna happen. Sorry sunshine, no immortal humans that we can see...unless they're doing a great job of hiding it. Even then, solar flares and they're prolly toast.

That said, go down swinging in everything you do. Make it habit. Always go down swinging. You give up in 1 place, you teach yourself that giving up is ok. Folding your hand is different than giving up, but if its your only shot to stay in the game, you play that shitty hand to the best of your skills.

4. NormaD

NormaD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Death is inevitable, but that doesn't mean that we should give up our lives too easily. If there is even a slight chanced of survival, I'd take it every time. I've always believed that every death is self-imposed, a form of suicide. When someone decides to give up and stop fighting, they choose to die.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the face of adversity some people will just give up and wait for death. when SHTF I am fully expecting the suicide rate to sky rocket, many people will not be able to face what is to come.

6. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Spiritual and mental preparedness makes a big difference. I like the way you put it, material things can be lost but your mental and spiritual preparedness will always be there with you. If you can keep it together and find a way to survive, you have a better chance of living then someone who can't. I think being prepared can make things easier for you but with out mental and spiritual preparedness you'll fold under the pressure.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    mental preparedness...that i'll agree with, having a POSITIVE mental attitude will help us survive where everyone else has given up in despair.
    I haven't got any time for spiritual matters, not of the usual kind anyway, i'm a Pagan and I believe in all things nature and natural.

8. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I guess some believe that they are going to die anyway why prolong the inevitable? But personally, i can't imagine just giving up without trying, i'll try especially if i have my family with me, something to live for. It's going to be such an uphill battle obviously, the game of life just got harder tenfold, still if there's a chance of survival, i'll take the challenge and die fighting.

9. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    No matter how well armed a person or how skillful a fighter someone is they can still be killed. This is why though one should always be ready to fight for those he loves or his/her supplies avoiding all this is far much better. Prepare to fight but there'll be no need for it if you live far away from others.

I believe though the real fight will be mental. Will you be able to stay calm and optimistic and do what needs to be done to survive? If you can't then you don't need enemies to end your life.

10. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have always wondered, why it is that the people who seem as though they are the most ready to die, always seem to cheat death. Maybe it is because even though they are read to die, they still fight even if it is unto the death and somehow end up making it out. I've seen a good friend of mine, get shot and he knew that it could happen but he decided to not back down from the low life that shot him anyway. He did not die, he received little more than a flesh wound, but since that day it has always seemed evident to me that the people who cower in the face of adversity are the ones that always end up fatally wounded.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have read somewhere that a person in distress has greater chances of surviving if he has the mental readiness to die unlike one whose frame of mind is closed to survival as the only option. When the latter hits a failure, he is more apt to surrender while the former who has already accepted the probability of dying still has something left to hope for. Maybe I am one of the latter because I easily surrender my fate so hoping is always against hope which makes my hoping more passionate. And for a religious person, there is always hope of life after death so accepting death is not that hard for us.

12. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I will ever be ready to just die. I will fight till the end and fight for my life. I will do everything in my means and power to find a way to thrive and live. The only time I might be ready to die is if I got poisoned. Then I would be ready and willing to die.