Tulsi

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by iamawriter, May 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Tulsi can be compared to Basil and the properties of Basil are well known.
    In India Tulsi is worshipped by the Hindus. Every Hindu house will have it planted on a pedestal right in front of their house where the lady of the house will worship it going round ita few number of times every day.

Tulsi has great health properties the main being that it is good for cold and lung congestion.
    I have a whole lot of these plants in our garden.
    They have two varieties black and green and we have both.

For more on this you can visit the site:

https://chayi.ca/en/english-tusli-tea-a-natural-healing-agent/

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes, I remember reading that the ayurveda medicin (which is an Indian system of medicin) have lots of uses for tulsi: it's useful agaisnt stress, inflammations, bug bites (extremely useful in this case)... And it's also a good digestive!
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's found that commonly in nature and you would have to grow it.

3. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I know it under the name Holy Basil, didn't know that it's the same thing!

But yeah, I've heard of it before and apparently it's fairly easy to grow. I never had it myself though. How did you get it? Does it grow around where you live or did you order it online or? I'm curious now that you reminded me of it.

iamawriter likes this.
  4. Chiari

Chiari New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi iamawriter,
    Have you tried it? How do you prepare it? Do you make a tea with the leaves?

5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    It grows easily here. You will find it growing all over the place and once it is introduced in your garden it will just proliferate. I have loads of them and I sometimes have to pull out a few. I have both black and green - could be having no difference when it comes to their health properties.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Tulsi, which is popularly called holy basil, is a medicinal plant. They say tulsi produces more oxyzen than any other plant, therefore, if you have difficulty in breathing, you can go near tulsi plant.
    One of the common ways to use tulsi is by havibng tulsi tea. You can boil tulsi leaves or seeds in water and add honey to taste. Tulsi tea not only tastes great, but also has many healthy benefits. Tulsi is good for common cold, cough, even diabetes.

7. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    You seem to have done a study on this invaluable herb. It just proliferates in our garden. I have both the white and black variety and it seems the black is more effective.

8. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I must have got it from the roadside to begin and that is how Tulsi grows - so easily. I have so much of it now that I have to pull out a few if they invade the area where I do not want it.

9. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I make herbs chutney and add tulsi too. I have a whole lot of plants of both varieties growing all over the property. I give away as much as I can and sometimes have to pull out too as I notice it is invasive.

10. Richa94

Richa94 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, You are right tulsi is worshipped by Hindus. Along with spiritual importance, there are medicinal benefits also associated with Tulsi.
    Tulsi is the rich source of Vitamin K(lack of vitamin leads to clotting of blood), used in relieving fever, Oral Health and balancing Hormones and lowering the stress.