What has brought you to this group?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by PracticalToby, May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    In my case, it's a wish to be more self-sufficient, leave a smaller carbon footprint and, hopefuly, to share some of my skills and knowledge. How about you? What's inspired you to join? Fear of apocalypse? Self-sufficiency? Care for the planet?

johnw7000 and sunnytn like this.
  2. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm here because I am always looking for ways to survive in the need to do so. It's great to have basic survival knowledge under your belt. it also never hurt anyone sharpen their skills by the great tips that others share on this page. I think it's great that there are so many survivalist out there that share a passion with others and want to help. Who knows, maybe one day we will really need to put these skills to use. :)

3. Hope

Hope New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Well! I am studying to be a vet technician and if I have my way, I will be getting into wild life forestry. I want to be a game warden maybe one day, and my goal is Yellowstone or Yosemite. If I am going to be that in depth in my work as I currently plan, anything can happen. I need to know these things in case I get lost. PLUS I live in TN, which is noting but a forest state basically. And I am unfortunately geographically and directionally challenged - I get LOST ALL THE TIME. If I ever end up some where I don't know in an accident or something while fishing or driving and I don't know where I am I want to be able to survive long enough to be found lol.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  4. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I spend a lot of time camping and hiking. It's good to be prepared for whatever happens. I also live in a hurricane prone area and have been through many in my lifetime, including Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike. Due to my job, I stayed behind during both. I had to fend for myself, both during and after both of these hurricanes. I want to be prepared for when I have to do it again. You never know what could happen, and it helps to be prepared (whether it's a situation on the trail or during a natural disaster).

Jim Beadreau likes this.
  5. nuekboi

nuekboi New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm not someone who goes outside super often, but I do know how important it is to be prepared for any kind of disaster. I have been fortunate enough in my life to never experience a mass disaster but I know it could happen at any time and the advice on this forum is pretty good on that front

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Two things bring me to this forum: I am interested in becoming more self-sufficient and to learn how to freeze or can the foods I grow in my pesticide free garden. However, I have to admit I have been curious about what to do should a disaster strike. I am open to learning.

7. Kshitiz Thapa

Kshitiz Thapa New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I have come here to learn how to be more self sufficient, and not having to google every little thing. I am tired of not knowing many things people just know how to do. I feel this will help me become more self reliant.

sunnytn and Prairie Dog like this.
  8. DrasticLee

DrasticLee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I've always loved being out in nature and the concept of surviving like we did in primitive times so I occasionally just research whatever pops into my head on the subject and I found this website. What's great is there's a whole section for primitive survival here which is pretty awesome in my opinion. My friends and I have camping trips where we leave all our gadgets behind and see who lasts the longest without using any modern tools and this forum is really useful for me to get a bit of an advantage. :D
    For me, it is more a matter of having fun because I really enjoy being resourceful in nature and creating things from scratch that I can live on! I treat it like a game in some ways but learning as much as I can about survival could save my life or another someday.

9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I joined this group to revisit some of the best times of my life. Traveling brought me a sense of peace, self identification, and challenges. I don't think I would be the person I am today if it wasn't for hopping freight trains across the country. I initially joined this forum to share some of my stories and tips that helped me along the way. I retained so much information over the years of travel, that it seems like a waste to just keep it to myself. I know that there are people struggling to know where to begin, so it's nice to have an outlet to speak with others about survival.

10. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    My partner and I often dream of quitting the 9-5 and living on the road, hiking and camping and taking in as much of the world as we can for a year or so. We wouldn't be starting with a lot of money, with only a bit of savings to our names, and so we picture ourselves foraging, maybe hunting, making campfires, that sort of thing. I know it seems a bit far-fetched for two city creatures... But I've started to get really itchy feet and the idea can't stop popping back into my head. So I'm here to learn from people with experience and know how, to prepare better for if/when we finally take the leap.

I also read something a while ago that said you are only strong enough if you can save your family in an emergency. I think it was a post on a bodybuilding forum or something. But I like to apply it to survival strength - if we ever find ourselves in a position where we need to survive, I would like to be strong enough to save my family, with knowledge and resourcefulness.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  11. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    I believe it is wise for everyone to have at least basic survival skills.

branchd77 likes this.
  12. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't say I'm here from fear, but I would like to be more knowledgeable. I don't feel like I could sufficiently take care of myself at this time. I realize I don't even know how to do much at all. I hope this forum can help me be better prepared.

13. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I want to learn more about survival. If something bad happens, God forbid, I want to be able to help my family and my friends survive. I like to be prepared for situations. I figured, while I have the free time now, I can do some research to prepare for some "just in case" events.

14. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I have a keen interest in self-sufficiency. I find it to be a very worthwhile way to spend time, thought, energy, and money. We have a place in the country and would just like to make it as self-sufficient as possible. Survival plays into that. Perhaps if there was a crisis, we may never need to leave our home. Depends on the crisis.

15. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I came to this forum in hopes to revisit my traveling experiences. I do not plan on traveling any time soon, but it's always nice to refresh your memory and make sure that your survival skills are still up to par. I am very interested in surviving outdoors and like to make sure that in the event of a natural disaster, I am fully prepared. Whether it takes educating myself in the use of nature or knowing what supplies I might need prior to a disaster, all information is useful. It's also nice to communicate with people that understand and appreciate my interest in surviving.

16. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I personally have always been interested in survivalism and being prepared in case of emergency but I've never really done much to actually get myself prepared. By coming here I am hoping to gain some concrete knowledge an insight into different aspects of survivalism and emergency preparedness. In addition I'd like to create some sort of physical filing system for ideas and concepts I find a particular importance so as to be prepared in case I am unable to access technological knowledge basis.

17. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I actually find it adventurous and challenging. Even tho it's important for everyone to be prepared for disasters in these last days and times, some of this can be fun also. I'm usually into watching survival shows when I get a chance, so a forum like this would always be interesting to me.

18. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I genuinely enjoy hanging in this place, it opened my eyes and it's like I'm seeing the world in a whole new light. It made me realize how the smallest little things that we take for granted in our daily lives can really be big help in times such as post apocalypse. And it's good to go back and forth with people who have all these interesting ideas and learn from them.

19. nikkishea21

nikkishea21 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:

The name was one which peaked my interest as I would like to think that issues will be discussed here that may become handy to me, provided I am in a situation warranting extreme measures or something outside of the norm. I also know that I consider myself to be a 'tough girl' as I have been on my own long enough to know a few tricks of my own. I am no baby, so I know I will have bits and pieces of me and my life as a survivalist to share with you guys.

20. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To be honest with you I am a polymath and that brought me to this and to all the other forums I am visiting regularly. It is really something that I like to do and I like variety of different stuff so I think this is a very good way to develop more and to expend my knowledge even more. I am not an expert but I really like to learn and I am always giving my best. When I'm not familiar with something I go and do research about it. I love that.

21. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I joined this forum to learn as we continue to share. It is true that I know of some survival tips but not all. I am also here to learn about the challenges that members have passed through. This prepares me ahead of disasters or eventualities where my input will be needed.

sunnytn likes this.
  22. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy challenging myself and as father of two kids, want them to know they have the skills to get through tough spots. Whether it is the total collapse of our infrastructure or a prolonged power outage, the skills and knowledge here would be invaluable.

23. westcoastcanuck

westcoastcanuck Well-Known Member
      70/115

Blog Posts:
    Our desire to be more self-sufficient although living in the heart of the city has brought us to the ideology of prepping. Living on the west coast of Canada we are pretty immune to weather disasters, civil or political upheaval. Earthquakes? maybe with being along the coastal fault line. With the current worry of a economic collapse or impending war we feel we must be ready in our own way. What a relief to meet other like minded individuals, to share and compare planning and not be looked at as an alarmist or being crazy.

Prairie Dog and sunnytn like this.
  24. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:

25. sunnytn

90/99

Blog Posts:
    Welcome, westcoastcanuck!

26. mwah

mwah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    The reason I joined this group because I love nature and the wild. I really like to be dependent on myself when there is no store to buy food and water from and being able to provide for myself when in need, with the cost of nothing other than my own energy.

27. TravelDiva77

TravelDiva77 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    The reason I joined was kinda of a good ole days or days gone by reason. I remember growing up how my grandparents were very self sufficient. They grow their own vegetables and fruits, knew how to build various structures etc. I have applied those skills that I remember but a lot of I do not remember. So, I am seeking a community of like minded people who I can learn from and even share some of my limited knowledge. I also wish to be prepared for any impending disaster in the best way possible.

28. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I love camping, but I only have a few places to go, because I don't know how to survive in a serious situation. I'd LOVE to discover the nature more and go camping or walking to other places, but there is this fear in me, so I'm here for the advices. And I'm interested in the life of the people who live outside in the nature, I've already created a thread about it. I love reading stories about survival stories and stories about living and surviving in the nature.

Bishop likes this.
  29. missionreport

missionreport New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys! Well I've always been fascinated by the wilds and really want to learn what people are doing and the skills that they can share on different scenarios and survival tips. Things like what's edible and what's not. How to build a fire to the construction of a small hut in the woods. Which woods are best suited for what and maybe on how to hunt and cook for certain meats. How to read a map and hunt for food, you know things like that. Either way this is a very interesting group and educational for me.

30. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The curiosity and desire to learn. I may call myself a survivalist but some people won't agree. I like learning something new each new day of my life. I see myself as a leader, the one that in times of disaster would direct people on how to safely get away from danger, yes I am that fearless.

31. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I like being able to come up with solutions to stuff with simple things so I check out different things like fourms books magazines and put all the information in to like a photo album in my head then I practice the skills until it second nature plus it's a small world and you would be so surprised of who you may run into it may be one of you some day

32. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Ever since I was a little kid, I would watch plenty of wilderness survival shows on both the Discovery and National Geographic channels. I would often look forward to a new episode of Les Stroud's Survivorman more than the cartoons I was watching at the time. Because of this I grew to love not only nature but the idea of being able to sustain and thrive in the wilderness, albeit those thoughts were a bit romanticized. But all in all, this sparked my interest in getting to know the wild and learning survival skills, and by fate I've now found myself in this community!

33. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Women and children are the most affected in SHTF situations. Not because we are weaker or anything, but we are often responsible for child care. So in survival situations, especially if you have a breastfeeding baby or babies, you have to learn how to take care of your self and your child. I joined this community to find out how best to do this and also learn how to prepare for anything and everything.