10 Items Choice

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by elkhound, Jun 8, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    just for fun yall....this year on alone its in the artic around great slave lake in north west territory of canada. below is link to this years gear list...what they are given and list they get to choose from for their 10 items. what items would you pick to go on this challenge to win $500,000.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

given items...you also get to cheap tarps to protect camera equipment and gear.

• 1 pair of high-leg hunting boots
    • 1 pair waterproof Arctic winter boots
    • 1 T-shirt (short sleeved)
    • 1 fleece/wool shirt (a hooded fleece is acceptable)
    • 2 wool sweaters
    • 6 pairs wool socks
    • 2 hats (brimmed, wool, fur, Arctic or baseball)
    • 2 buffs or neck gaiter (no balaclavas)
    • 1 shemagh OR scarf
    • 4 pairs of gloves (1 insulated, 1 leather work-style glove, 1 overmitt, 1 thin glove liner)
    • 2 pairs of underwear/briefs
    • 1 insulated parka-style jacket (should cover back side and have a hood)
    • 2 pair of outdoor pants/bibs (can unzip into shorts)
    • 1 pair of fully insulated or waterproof winter pants/bibs
    • 1 waterproof uninsulated shell/Jacket
    • 2 pairs of thermal underwear (long top and bottom)
    • 1 pair of gaiters
    • 1 leather belt (or synthetic equivalent)
    • 1 toothbrush
    • 1 pair of eyeglasses (with proof of prescription)
    • 1 personal photograph (no bigger than 4x6 and one-sided)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    you get to pick 10 from this list.

Shelter

• 12x12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
    • 8-mm climbing rope - 10M
    • 550 Paracord - 80m (Only 550 military-style paracord allowed. Nothing with core strands that can be used as trapping wire, tinder, etc.)
    • 3-mm cotton cord - 40m (non waxed cord)
    • 1 hatchet
    • 1 saw
    • 1 ax
    Bedding

• 1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag
    • 1 bivi bag (Gore-Tex sleeping bag cover)
    • 1 sleeping pad
    • 1 hammock
    Cooking

• 1 large pot (no more than 2 quarts; includes lid) (no substitutions)
    • 1 steel frying pan
    • 1 flint or ferro rod set with standard-sized striker (no longer than 6”, must have a plastic handle, and small striker no longer than 3”)
    • 1 enamel bowl for eating
    • 1 spoon
    • 1 canteen or water bottle
    Hygiene

• 1 bar soap (standard size)
    • 1 8-oz tube of toothpaste
    • 1 face flannel
    • 1 40-mm roll dental floss
    • 1 small bottle bio shower soap
    • 1 shaving razor (and 1 blade)
    • 1 towel (30” x 60”)
    • 1 comb
    Hunting

• 1 300-yd roll of a single-filament fishing line up to max of 20 lbs weight test + 25 assorted barbless hooks, no bigger than size 7/0, no lures. (Must arrive on location with 300 yds of line pre-measured.)
    • 1 primitive bow (recurve or longbow). Draw weight must be at least 20kg (44.09lbs) at 700mm (27.56”) draw + 9 Arrows (must be predominately made of wood or be made of wood-finished carbon fiber. Arrows must have a broad head point of at least 25mm (1”) at the widest point, or a barbless three-bladed bodkin head. Or have a rubber blunt or similar recognized arrowhead designed for small game. Do not paint arrows with any type of high-visibility paint. Simple quiver OR arrow attachment which must be approved by producer, simple finger and arm guards are permitted)
    • 1 small-gauge gillnet (12’ long x 10 meshes wide or deep. Mesh size 5" when stretched lengthways and measured from knot to knot)
    • 1 slingshot/catapult + 30 steel ball bearings + 1 replacement band
    • 1 net foraging bag
    • 1 roll 3.5 lbs of 20/21-gauge trapping (snare) wire
    • 3 lbs of one solid block of salt
    Food (2 items max)

• 2 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
    • 2 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
    • 2 lbs of biltong (protein)
    • 2 lbs of hardtack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
    • 2 lbs of chocolate (simple/complex sugars)
    • 2 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
    • 2 lbs of GORP (raisins, m&m's and peanuts)
    • 1 lb of flour (starch/carbs)
    • 1/3 lbs rice / 1/3 lb sugar / 1/3 lb of salt
    Tools

• 1 pocket knife
    • 1 hunting knife (blade edge length no larger than 10”, straight spine with no other built-in blade added i.e. no skinning blade on spine.)
    • 1 Leatherman multi-tool or similar
    • 1 sharpening stone
    • 1 roll of duct tape or 1 roll of electrical tape
    • 1 small shovel
    • 1 small sewing kit (containing 6 needles no longer than 3 inches of varying types, glovers, standard straight needle, or curved; one pair of scissors no longer than 3"; one small sewing awl no longer than 5”; variety of thread, no more than two bobbins; one 1" cube or smaller of beeswax; all contained in a small leather or canvas-style bag)
    • 1 carabiner
    • 1 LED flashlight
    • 1 pair of ice spikes (studded walking aids for icy conditions

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  5. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  6. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    My list (thanks for the two given items: extra tarps):

12x12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
    - this will be one of two “shells” or layers of tarp used for shelter. Insulating material will be stuffed between the outer layer (which is one of the given cheap tarps). I can fold the other given tarp in half to use as a ground cloth under sleeping bag on dry nights, and on wet nights, I can surround my sleeping bag top and bottom, burrito style, with the tarp for extra protection from moisture.

Tactical throwing tomahawk (will do the job of an ax or hatchet as well) -
    for hunting, defense, breaking ice, etc. etc. For years I have thrown hawks and know that I can easily get a good rabbit dinner with it in a survival situation.

This is the one I will likely choose for this trip: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PICTY...&pd_rd_r=d5974e0a-8a6a-11e9-8802-f7585e08a683

1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag

1 large pot (no more than 2 quarts; includes lid) (no substitutions) -
    Aside from obvious uses, this is valuable for boiling and disinfecting questionable drinking water.

1 flint or ferro rod set with standard-sized striker (no longer than 6”, must have a plastic handle, and small striker no longer than 3”) - absolutely essential!

1 small-gauge gillnet
    (12’ long x 10 meshes wide or deep. Mesh size 5" when stretched lengthways and measured from knot to knot) - This can have a dual purpose: to trap not only fish, but also birds and small animals. For trapping the latter, the five-inch mesh space can serve as a skeleton for temporarily weaving other materials to close the space so that birds cannot get out. (I am able to make cordage with plant fibers to make nets, lines, etc. but having this will save precious time better spent on other things at the outset of this adventure.)

1/3 lbs rice / 1/3 lb sugar / 1/3 lb of salt - not so much as food but as the foundation of oral rehydration solution which could be lifesaving in the event of vomiting, diarrhea, or as an occasional energy boost in case of sickness and inability to procure food.

Edited to add: Additionally, the sugar makes a valuable dressing for wounds to prevent/heal infections.

1 Silky (brand) saw

1 hunting knife (blade edge length no larger than 10”, straight spine with no other built-in blade added i.e. no skinning blade on spine.)

1 sharpening stone

-------------------------

When I get more time, I will make a list of how I will make substitutions for the other essentials that I had to strike from the bigger list.

7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/nasa-exercise

Good afternoon Elkhound,

A real good thread.

Only did a rapid surf around so must ask if contestants can use a J hook receiver hitch on the Titan. I don't need to pull a hand spin grinding stone to create barbs on the fish hooks but would like to return with some of that Canadian apple juice that's fermented and then distilled. The stuff's great.

Again, a real good thread.

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I have not watched any of the videos, but an internet search tells me that the Great Slave Lake in the north west territory of Canada is a rough area to survive in.

What time of year are we talking about?

9. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Aside from not being allowed to use a gun, my biggest irritation with their list is that you cannot take a full sized shovel. I wounder if the spade head of a full sized shovel could be considered a "small shovel"? For this particular biome, I would not see the need for a ferro rod. A bow drill should do the job quite well. JMO, YMMV

My items would be
    1 Leatherman Core multi tool
    2 Estwing 20" hatchet
    3 fishing line/hooks
    4 gill net
    5 -60 sleeping bag
    6 2 qt cast iron pot with lid
    7 12x12 tarp with grommets.
    8 steel trapping wire
    9 large folding saw
    10 3 lbs of one solid block of salt(would replace this with a full sized shovel, or just the spade head, if allowed)

10. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    first episode aired this past thursday the 6th.

time of year was last mid september..if you recall end of last year winter came fast and harsh to Canada freezing many crops in the field and in dakotas etc.

things i know they can do..kill moose,muskox and black bear..not sure of grizzly and caribou.

theres some sandy looking spots and apparently clay deposits but its mostly some serious rock.

the lake is huge..i think 5th largest in north america and its deep . 2000ft at it deepest point.

they can fudge on certain items a bit if approved but if caught cheatig its automatic kick out from the contest. trying to sneak in items gets you kicked.

one example of fudging they allowed a person to use a curved sewing needle as a fishhook in the 25 they can bring one season. also a guy wanted to bring a vest.its not allowed in clothing that year but they told him it could be part of a liner in his jacket.so he fixed it so it buttoned inside jacket as a liner.

shovel....one winner brought a cold steel shovel..its a copy of the russian special forces shovel. man he was versed in its use and could do lots of stuff with it.he was ridiculed on internet for picking it.he won that year and has record of most days in contest..87 days. rumor mill for this year says it goes a very long time.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW.....

in a preview for this upcoming season i seen a guy skinning out neck of a moose and packing its head. some are saying he finds a wolf kill.i say not he kills it.this guy they dont show face but i cant tell who it is. the guy use to live with the evenki in siberia for 5 years.hes highly skilled and i heard in a clip he talked about calling moose in. so he has some vast experience in more than just a camper type person.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Late September, wow, ok...

How long of a period?

TMT Tactical and elkhound like this.
  12. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    till theres only one person left standing .....

5th day in it was pouring snow by the way. in previews you can see lake frozen over.i will see if i can hunt up a few commercials for you to see.

13. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
  14. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    yes and last year theres was 1000's of acres of crops left in field of alberta over winter coming early. and its south joining nwt .winter came early.

15. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    42 second commercial

16. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    If you are really interested episode 1 https://vidoza.net/mw1gey27mhl1

17. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Thank you... I attempted to watch it but it is wanting to download a huge file that my Chromebook can't seem to handle... but I can watch Youtubes, and speaking of...

When I get time, I will be sure to watch some of these Youtube videos (I am chompin' at the bits!)

I am so short on time right now that I may have to watch them either in spurts or else fast forward now and then all the way, lol.

18. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    without knowing some details this would be my picks...yes i am very picky about items and if not a bit of leeway theres items i wouldnt pick...because i know myself pretty well...lol

1. huskvarna carpenters axe with 19 inch handle..or possibly a pulaski axe tool
    2.silky saw
    3.-60 wigggys sleeping bag
    4.ferro rod.
    5.2 quart pot...it has a built in strainer with a coffee pot type pouring spout.it would get modified before show at weld shop with SS locking lid clamps.
    6.leatherman core...mines modified..it can do alot..has 3 knife blades,one being a rapala fillet knife and much more.
    7.fishing line/hooks
    8.bow and arrows
    9.gillnet
    10.paracord...this might get left behind if the gorp can be my homemade stuff laced with salts,sugars and vitamins.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Whoa... I didn't realize I could specify which type of saw I can have...

I MUST have that Silky. Fuel for fire is going to be an all-consuming job without it.

I am trading my pemmican for it!!! (Edited my list)

20. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    yes you provide your own 10 items.be sure and watch nathans video he has several special items.like his knife..it has a bow drill socket in handle.he elected to not take a ferro rod to get to take the gill net in its place.he is first person to take a pocket knife in this show.its a specialty item. i have the high end version that came out years ago by flexcut.i thought about considering it but in truth its an accident waiting to happen..its a pure razor blade..a cut from its going to be very bad.

several folks have taken modified multi tools..all my screw drivers are sharpened to be chisels and longest one is sharpened like a chisel knife too.

21. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    At first, I thought I would trade out the sugar, salt, and rice...but changed my mind.

In addition to the sugar, salt, and rice being valuable for treating the consequences of vomiting and diarrhea, the sugar makes a valuable dressing for wounds to prevent/heal infections... Its effectiveness is well known, even in cases of gangrene.

I would hate to be taken out of the game because of the consequences of infection, vomiting, or diarrhea...all of which can quickly turn deadly in a survival situation.

22. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    i know you get a first aid kit in your camera pelican box but not sure of how much and what is in it. but i do know if you use it up its not replaced during show. also they give you headlamp and batteries for it and camera gear. you also get a weekly medical check and weighed..you can get pulled by the doctor if you get to starved down..by BMI.

23. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Don't download it. Just stream it.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I kept trying to stream it, but the site's notification tells me "loading..." which will wipe out all the "memory" my Chromebook has.

I will have to find a Youtube equivalent. (I know... ick.)

25. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Although I have bow-hunted for many years, I didn’t choose a bow from the list because rabbits, birds, and fish are plentiful in that area. I will concentrate on hunting/trapping them instead of pursuing big game with a bow. This will help me conserve calories, reduce my chances of being caught by a storm, injury, or running out of time to get back to base camp/shelter/fire.

(However, I am adept with an atlatl, and plan on making one. This can be used for large or small game. Regardless of size, I will be ready for any kind of game.)

Hunting larger game takes a lot of TIME and physical effort, and I would most likely have to travel a bit. Not only to get to a suitable stand but also possibly having to track a wounded animal (stuff happens). Also, dealing with a crap-ton of meat at one time will also put me at risk of dealing with bears, which is the LAST thing I want to deal with alone without a gun!

Small game is more plentiful and is easier to harvest. I plan on cooking far from my campsite, which will help reduce the chances of bear problems. (My hunting knife will be installed on a stout spear shaft, pronto. Like in the first day, lol.) I think the extra space between me and my adversary will be to my advantage as I show Mr. Bruin that my stick bites and that I won’t be an easy meal for him. Hopefully, it will be enough to discourage him at spear-length. If my spear breaks, my tomahawk also bites.

Fishing and trapping:

I am adept at making cordage and fishing line with plant fibers. Hook-making with woody stems is fast and easy (I have done it before). Although I could make a gill net, it would take a while to make one the size that I choose from the list. The gill net can be used for not only fishing but also setting net traps as mentioned in my first post. The cordage can be used to make snare traps and much more...

The area around the great Slave Lake is surrounded by smaller lakes, ponds, and rivers which gives me a better chance of catching smaller fish such as ciscoes to use as bait (and as food). I am sure trout tastes better than baitfish, but what the heck, I will eat both kinds. Ciscoes seem to be plentiful enough to catch with a net, which I can make in a few hours. I will also make netting to use as holding bags to keep fish alive underwater, one for baitfish and another for bigger fish. On the days I catch more than I need, I can stash them in the net bags for another day.

The area seems abundant in clay. I will encase my fish, rabbits, and birds in clay “blankets” and cook them in hot coals. Peel and eat. Cooking this way also reduces food odors that could attract unwanted attention from bears (and zombies in civilization...just sayin’).

There are plenty of natural materials that I can quickly make an atlatl and blowgun with.

Cattail, which is Nature’s Walmart, grows in the area. The entire plant can be used in some fashion or another. Back home, rivercane is my preferred material for making blowguns, but cattail stems can be easily hollowed out as an acceptable substitute. The rest of the plant, including the roots, is good eating. Cattail is also home to a grub that fish like. (I would also eat that grub for its fat and protein content.)

Sumac (the edible kind) grows in the area, and the stems can also be easily hollowed out to make blowguns. Bonus: the red berries that are abundant in the Fall will make great bait for birds. Also as a tasty vitamin C-rich beverage, as well as a spice for seasoning my food. Berries, leaves and bark are also valuable medicinally.

Thistle also grows in the area, and this time of year will be a great time to harvest thistledown from older flowers which I will use as blowgun dart fletching. I can use the tough fibers of the stems to make cordage and a strong fishing line. (There are lots of other plants that are great for making cordage, each with its own peculiar attributes.) Once I have peeled the stringy fibers off the plants, I can cook the stems as a vegetable. The roots are also edible.

More later...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  26. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I just realized I left out something, so I traded my paracord for this.

Tactical throwing tomahawk (it will do the job of an ax or hatchet as well) - for hunting, defense, breaking ice, etc. etc. For years I have thrown hawks and know that I can easily get a good rabbit dinner with it in a survival situation.

This is the one I will likely choose for this trip: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PICTY...&pd_rd_r=d5974e0a-8a6a-11e9-8802-f7585e08a683

Edited my list again, hopefully for last time!

27. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    first thing to do is recon the area...then slap up a temp tarp shelter.

i hope to build a nice shelter like they do in north country of europe in several places.theres a name but it escapes me at the moment.i will post a picture of frame work later.i want a fireplace or a type of way to heat it. for this reason i chose type shelter as we see in previews of show debris huts go up in flames easy..after all its nothing but a birds nest firestarter clump.

Lp3Ades6D9U6GWZ1fB7ew6UQ0vnghcrN.jpeg

i want to pursue fish and moose/muskox/grouse.

i plan on bringing rainbow colored paracord..about 3ft..for lure making to fish with. my gill net will part old school and part modern.the weighted line on bottom modern but top having external floats instead of floating line.this way i can get chunks of it to use for various kinds of fishing floats from traditional to just above hook to float baits off bottom of lake.

they give them the modern packs but i dislike them like external framed packs so i can remove pack and use frame and i wish i had a frame with a foot on bottom. i always carried firewood back to camp on frame so both my hands are free. also if you get a kill you need it to pack meat.i guess i will find out how tough those packs are...lol..i probably shred it. so i would build myself a pack frame if possible.

after picking site for shelter one thing i will do is not harvest any firewood close by.i will go out a ways to get dead standing stuff and leave close in stuff for later as i get worn down and energy levels are lower. my goal would be to put a bit of wood in a stack like putting money in the bank for hardtimes because theres going to be times you will need to lay up in ya bunk. daylight hours fade fast too. so night time you will need to keep busy.stash woods for carving etc.if i get to freeze up i will have my tip ups made from branches.2 sticks work fine and fish on it cause it to roll and tip it up.made sorta like a capital T with just a bit sticking over for line to tie to.

this years gill net is smallish at 12 x 10.it could be fished several ways .by adding a few structure poles to it it might be fished like an umbrella net that baited it can close up capturing fish on retrieval.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  28. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  29. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Nice idea. I had to look at that for a minute to figure out what it actually was. Not much call for something like that down here where the only ice is in our cups lol

TMT Tactical and elkhound like this.
  30. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    you can use it on bank...think 2 forked sticks stuck in ground this hanging/sitting in the crotches long part dangling down.fish gets on line and it rolls up signaling you.

31. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I generally use yoyo's tied to a branch. Sometimes I use a bent sapling that is trapped to spring up and set the hook when a fish or turtle bites on it

32. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    yep..but for this thread and spirit of the alone show i am talking limited supplies to your 10 items,what you can make and what you find is fair game as far as 'trash' on show. on vancover island they found tons of rope on shore,fishing line,nets etc. to use. i would never take paracord of that island is used again for location. i love that area.

theres more ways to fish than many of us think...i look at old pictures often to get clues and of course i am out of the box thinker so i come up with tons of stuff..like lure making. i made fish hooks from harden plastic once....lol

edit to add...i have a small tool roll i made.its about the diameter of a pop can or so.it has specialty tools in it and its still a work in progress. but if i could take it i would give up several items just to have it on show where trash was at.i would build lots of stuff for fishing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    that looks good but what you must realize is that in the north the hole will freeze over very shortly after making it. I go ice fishing all the time. and but out several tip ups , what we have to do is called hole maintenance, which means breaking of any of the ice that has formed around the hole.

34. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    I am a great fan of this show and have learned all sorts of survival tricks ect over the years. I watched the first episode of seasons six, what i would do is build my shelter first. you have the energy at this time and as it mid September in the north snow can come any time. I did not think Tim would last very long , too old, fat and i thought maybe a bit arrogant like i am going to teach these Canadians how to survive. the slave Indian tribe has been living up there for several thousand years. i think the one that will win is the person that emulated their methods of survival .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    no doubt....i have never dealt with anything below -15f. that was brutal...couldnt imagine -40f or below.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    i would forget about using tip ups. what i would do it to cut a hole in the ice where there are fish then cut another hole 12 feet away. then pass a rope from one hole to the other. sounds impossible watch inuit hunters set up seal nets under the ice near the community of Clyde River in Canada’s eastern Arctic territory of Nunavut. (Levon Sevunts / Radio Canada International)
    http://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arctic/2010/06/30/sealskins-on-ice/
    you can also use this technique for gill nets. you come back the next day and you can have a dozen fish some of them several pounds. to me this is a no brainer of how to survive . by then way i used to live in clyde river for a while.

37. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    i have seen sweds use a 'jigger board' to run llines and nets under the ice. i also seen lots of fishing techniques out of russia that are very different than other regions. i like several of them. this jordan jonas spent 5 years with the evenki peoples of russia. i know he is well versed in north country skills.i hope they show all he does out there.

for me i will use the tip up from shore like i described in earlier post and then give it a try after freeze up. i like to fish so i am going to use any all types of fishing i can. gill net,tip ups,long line under ice,jigging and the russian collapsible umbrella type net through the ice.

i would hope i could find a container along shore etc. to get to making/fermenting fish bait from entrails and anything else rotten i could find. if lucky i could get hooves from a moose carcass.they can stink to high heaven. look up horse hoof lure. i feel sure moose hoof would be the same...

i have seen russian use buckwheat..or that what it looks like since they grow and eat alot of it like we do oats overhere. grayling love the stuff...works there might work here...if it could be an item on food list...maybe in flour form possibly...we got to remember we are restricted to our items and found trash..other wise we all have snowmobiles and gas power hole augers...lol

38. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    For the purpose of this thread, hopefully, you won't have to deal with temps below -15*F, according to the records from the past 30 years. The record low for October was exactly that, -15*F in 1995:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/api/sitewrapper/index?b=/statistics/&p=/forecasts/statistics/index&url=/statistics/caab0278////?

I grew up in the land of banana trees and palmettos (New Orleans & bayous of Barataria), so I need to research, research, research before I go!

I like this site that gives every possible aspect of weather variations that may be useful to know for that area: https://weatherspark.com/y/2361/Average-Weather-in-Slave-Lake-Canada-Year-Round

According to the graphics towards the end of that page, I noticed that I will be catching the tail-end of the wild plant (edibles/medicinals) harvest season when I get there in late September. I will be busy! After securing first my temporary (double-tarp-with-moss insulation-between) shelter, I will fortify that with a more durable one, then get busy with the harvest ASAP. My shelter will be stuffed with materials for busy-work processing all of what I gather... including fibers for making cordage, materials for flintknapping, atlatls, blowgun darts, etc. etc. etc. So, on brutal weather days, I can continue to keep busy with the business of surviving.

Ha ha... hopefully, I will have so much material, it might actually help serve as insulation in my shelter as well...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  39. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
  40. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    these folks in past usually get to spend roughly 2 weeks in area going over stuff..think crash course..in local flora and fauna by local experts from the area. plants are my weak point. i do know there are couple new to me trees in area. scoulers willow and trembling aspen.tree i.d. is/was part of my career for many years so i can nerd out on it...lol..plants/shrubs i know some but not enough.

Salix scouleriana

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salix_scouleriana

Populus tremuloides

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus_tremuloides

41. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    similar but it folds up shut/tight to hold fish and get it through ice hole. i seen a few version..ones made of type seine material the other gill net type material. it folds up tight like an umbrella.

you know i watch a lot of russian stuff..i will find it for you but it will take awhile.

42. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    now that i have though more about surviving in that scenario.
    1) first day built a log cabin say 8 by 8. use logs about 3.4" in in diameter , use moss to fill holes, no need to remove bark. build roof and cover with tarp and the lots of moss.
    2) get gill net working until ice freezes over.
    3) establish three trap lines
    4) put up a couple of cords of wood and built a fire place inside log cabin.
    5) start drying fish if any
    6) check trap lines
    7) once snow started use it to trap animals , stop using gill net as you do not want to lose it under ice.

43. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Also bear bait extraordinaire!

Just curious... what fish in the Slave Lake would be attracted to fermented bait?

Maybe I missed it in my research...

44. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    here is how you pass a line from one ice hole to the next ice hole . i have seen this done with a two by four .

45. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:

all of them....it use to blow my families mind i would catch small mouth bass on uncle josh catfish blood bait...lol

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    the fish would be lake trout, arctic char, maybe northern pike. i do not think fermented stuff would work.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    when i lived in alaska i use to catch dolly varden..which is a char....guess where i use to catch them? around a salmon process station...they dumped guts and refuse into the ocean there...you could literally catch them at will..locals turned their nose up at them because they had king/chinnok salmon to eat and called them trash fish...i called them supper to keep as many dollars in my pocket as i could for my dream homestead.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  49. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
  50. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    elk, dolly varden i know them well., 40 years ago i did the Canadian Rockies north . one day we got up and walked into lake Jacques. there was a steam going into lac Jacques, we went to town caughting fish my friend had saved the bacon grease. and walking into lac Jacques we caught 12 fish dolly varden . we made camp and started a fire . my friend cleaned the fish and rolled them in the oat meal we had left. we then cooked the dollys in a heavy cast iron fry pan, i do not know why we would carry such a stupid thing . anyway we cooked the dolley in the bacon grease, and this is after living on freeze dried food for a week. this was the finest meal i have ever had. so i remember dolly vardens very well , thanks form reminding me