A Different Perspective & A Way Of Life.

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Keith H., Jul 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    An old post has just been re-opened on our group's forum in "The Survival Connection", & it made me think. Basically what the person was saying is that those of us who practice 18th century Living History, Historical Trekking & Experimental Archaeology have far more experience in survival, primitive skills & 18th century technology than the average prepper or survivalist. Expecting a modern prepper to understand our preferences for pre industrial technology is not reasonable, without the experience we have, they can not possibly be expected to understand or agree with our choices.
    Of course this does not excuse the outright rudeness of some people who totally put us down for our beliefs, but I do see where it would not be practicle for modern preppers to simply start using the same equipment as we use without any prior learning/training & experience. Many people I guess are also unable to think out of the box, & therefore are unlikely to bother to learn new (old) ways, trusting instead to what they believe is better, because IF it were not better, then why was it invented, & why did it replace the older technology? It does not occur to them that the world has changed, & many things have changed to suit this new world lifestyle. What they fail to understand is, that in a major TEOTWAWKI situation, this new world, this new lifestyle, will cease to exist.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    A Living History Rendezvous encampment in Taminic Victoria.

[​IMG]
    Part of the military encampment at the Taminic Rendezvous.

[​IMG]
    Greens Rangers Living History group in the UK, an exceptionally well trained & dedicated group. Well worth joining if you live in the UK.
    http://greensrangers.proboards.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/177988055601175/

http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Indeed. Survival skills of the past including the tools have been replaced with modern technology but the two aspects don't preclude each other. There are plenty of situations in the modern world that take societies back to Stone Age situations like nuclear disasters, landslides and other catastrophes and only those well versed in rudimentary technology make the mark of meaningful survival.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    without electricity most of the modern technology will be useless, a return to doing things the way they did prior to the industrial revolution(18th century) may be required and the skills to do so will be required.

Tammie Griffin and Keith H. like this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Life is only hard if you make it so a tool used right makes a job easy if you work towards a goal and quit worrying about what if the task becomes easy

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people in my country have never known a different way of living, they are welded to the system, buying all their food in supermarkets, flicking a switch to turn on the lights, cooker and microwave, water comes out of a tap/faucet and waste is just flushed away and forgotten about, refuse and recycling is removed on a weekly and fortnightly basis by contractors, life goes on, but remove any or all of that even for a short period of time and everything grinds to a halt very quickly.
    very few people in the UK grow their own food any more-why bother when the supermarkets are open 24/7, very few people know where their food comes from or in some cases even which animal, the only time most people go to the countryside is on their annual holiday-unless they go abroad that is- and then all they do is moan when they get stuck in traffic behind a farm tractor.
    remove all these resources and the sticky stuff will hit the rotating blades very quickly, and nobody will have a clue what to do, why should they? as far as they are concerned "it will never happen" and they give it not one single thought, until it happens.
    I notice even on this site, people talk about what they will do after SHTF, not what they will do to prepare before, its all about how they will survive-even to the extent of eating grass- that's not being a prepper, that's being a sheeple.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it is perfectly possible, even enjoyable, to live a simpler more basic way of life, but just how many people will be able to or even want to, if they had to?
    to many people this is a kin to "living in the middle ages", I don't believe that in the 21st century many people are even capable of living like this. and would therefore refuse to do so.

7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have lived 5 star and I have lived no star, I have lived high tech and I have lived no tech.
    I have hunted food, I have grown food.
    I will hang onto the modern world as long as I can and I will manage any changes needed!
    PSHTF the world will be full of salvage, I intend to make full use of it where I can!

I can build most anything I need! and a wood fired steam turbine to power generators is chicken feed so I would be silly not to do so!
    and so I could make use of all those "useless electrical devices" that so many will just discard!