A Good Survival Book?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by airfightermax, Jul 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone,

I am just getting acquainted with setting up survival kits that could last for 72 hours and I have learned a lot from this forum.

I just wanna ask what is your favorite survival book? Been looking to get one these days and a recommendation would be great!

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest that you read as many as you can, try to do the things they teach...only by doing this will you find out what works in your environment (it will also help you filter out misinformation and foolish mistakes included as editorial padding)
    It is probably better to learn from another person though, when learning from a book you assume that you're at fault if something won't work, not that the book is crap. To be taken seriously an instructor has to get it right and make it work.
    Start with the basics. Read the material posted here, some of it is bloody good. You'll soon learn to spot the guys who know their stuff and the ones who regurgitate book learned skills without ever practicing them.

3. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree with @Ystranc in that you should read anything on the topic you can get your hands on. That said, a few introductory books I can recommend are:

• Life After Doomsday, by Bruce Clayton
    • Tappan on Survival, by Mel Tappan
    • Where There is No Doctor, by David Werner
    • Survival Home Manual, by Joel Skousen
    • Survival Guns, by Mel Tappan
    • Just in Case: How to be Self-Sufficient when the Unexpected Happens, by Kathy Harris
    • Now You're Talking All You Need to Know to Get Your First Ham Radio License, by the ARRL
    I hope that helps. If you have specific types of disasters you are concerned about, I can createa bibliography for that too.

4. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for these, will definitely look this up!
    I'm at a point in my life now where I am getting addicted at something. At least now I'm addicted at outdoor survival! :D

Thanks for your suggestions!

5. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I am very glad to help. Since you mentioned outdoor survival, one other I'd add is: SAS Survival Handbook, by John Wiseman. :)