A Serious University Student

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Jun 16, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.asiaone.com/asia/sabah-...e-get-better-internet-connection-online-exams

Good morning all,

Per ...

Remember the adage "Where there's a will, there's a way" ?

Article tells of an undergrad student needing internet access to study. Her village did not have the access. Thus, she spent a night in a tree for web access to learn eg chemistry.

She does have a nice mosquito net.

She will be a successful leader.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Without even watching her video, I've already notice something really off as in doesn't make any sense with the whole thing

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am going to go with Varuna on this one. What good does climbing a tree do to improve / make internet connection? Anybody have a laptop or tablet that has enough batter power to run more than a few hours? No mention to a portable power pack. Lots of questions but few details.

4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Varuna and TMT,

Believe issue was to be within range of internet signal.

Here, we have no broadband less a few exceptions. One exception is the area's community college. Driving past the place at night one can see students in their cars working their assignments.

I would guess the tree not needed for the actual access; just a place to spend the night within access range.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Some people take seriously their education as a passport to a better life, and I believe that young woman is one of them.

Dawn and I take classes at a local community college in Twin Falls (seniors go free!) and I see a lot of kids her age. Interestingly, a lot of them take their education pretty seriously too; it makes me a bit optimistic for the future...

... but spending the night in a tree instead of an all-nighter at an internet cafe? I dunno....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    The way I see it, she merely want to make sensation thus increasing her Youtube subscriber & view aka for Google Adsense revenue.

Here are aspects that doesn't make any sense at all ;
    1. The level of signal from the nearest BTS (Base Transmission Station) should be the same whether she is at tree top or on the ground. Its the horizontal distance, any presence of obstacle, and relative velocity of client side that matter NOT vertical distance. And in such rural area there isn't any meaningful obstacle either.
    2. IF getting signal is that difficult at her area, than she won't be able to upload anything to Youtube (her video), this is due to the typical bandwidth ratio of mobile broadband that is around 1:10. Meaning for every 10Mb/s downstream you only get 1Mb/s of upstream.

TMT Tactical and wally like this.
  7. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Maybe she had it set to battery mode, maybe she read then put the tablet to sleep while she took in what she had read so yes she could easily have got through the night without a recharge and yes some lappies/tabs do last hours, my Surface Pro will easily do 7 or 8 hours of browsing without a charge.

As she live in an area of poor reception the extra metres of height could easily be the difference between being online or not and thats a fact.

Asians take education more seriously than us well fed lazy gits in the west, good luck to the girl I'm sure she'll do well for herself and her family in the future.

8. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the terrain climbing a tree really can help with signal strength. We used to go camping at a place called Cobham in the Drakensburg Mountains in South Africa. Knowing cell reception was an issue we used to turn them off and forget about it for 2 weeks. But did get entertained watching the city wannabe campers climb trees desperate to boost their weak signal and it certainly seemed to work for them. Or so they told us when we asked if it was worth the effort.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Not she is not. The only physical obstacle between her and the nearest BTS is tress (mostly palm tree), and the usual banana

TMT Tactical likes this.