Add To Vehicle's Winter Survival Kit

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Feb 8, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cjonline.com/story/news...emergency-preparedness-kit-kansas/4436145001/

Good afternoon all,

A good addition to vehicle's winter kit is mentioned in linked articel by Ervin Mahan, a member of Emergency Management department.

Add to kit a brightly-colored piece of cloth. In case stuck on side of road, the snow plow trucks will be able to identify your vehicle as being a vehicle and not just a pile of drifted snow.

Just as a thought ...... too many specifics involved here ...... consider an orange or light red vinyl shower curtin pre-rigged with para cord for lashing onto vehicle. Don't let the vinyl stick to windows and remember if still snowing, the vinyl will get heavy with snow.

Isn't Dorothy from Kansas ? (Wizard of Oz) Vaguely recall Dorothy wanted to go somewhere where "there isn't any trouble".

Don't forget an orange traffic vest ! Only a couple of years ago they sold in big box stores for ~ $ 7.00. Now, about $20 !

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Winter cold sure has settled-in here. Snow I love, yet I could do without ice on our porches, steps, and roads. Our "new" used 4x4 pickup has already come in handy. Our little rice rocket is stuck and I'm not inclined to dig that out. Were my back young and uninjured, I'd get out there and work. Yet, the mirrors and my orthopedic pains tell me that I am indeed a senior.

Temperatures haven't gotten above freezing. To run errands and such, I've had to get out in temperatures from the 20s F down to 11 deg F ( -12 C ). We're currently staying in the 20s F during daytime ( circa -5 C ), yet the nights are bad. Add the constant winds and the windchill-factor drops to killer temps if one has not layered-up on what they are wearing. Shoot, I have my thermals on here in the house -- got me a sweater on also. We've set our home thermostat down into the 60s ( 19-sh C ) to save energy. Where we've lived has required us to be prepared.

Glad we've moved back down South. Where we were living in the MidWest, temperatures have dropped down into the -20s and even -30 F ( -29 C down to -34 C ) add non-stop winds and you can die out there. OK, so that isn't arctic, yet people have to travel to work and back in that cold and on solid ice roads.

I just ordered more boot and shoe cleats. You MUST have cleats when walking on solid sheets of ice. NO shoe tread can save you, thus steel cleats or bust your ass and back. My back can't take anymore busting. I've broken my back in times past = no fun. Broken ribs aren't fun either. One winter, I broke a leg due to icing in the MidWest -- from a bank of ice & snow, I slid under a parked truck. Didn't have my cleats on = stupid = lotta pain. I have cleats for my cane tip ... as does my busted-up son.

In deep snow, you've gotta have your snow shoes. Where I'm living now, there's no need for snow shoes unless you're heading up into the mountains. Me, I'm not doing that. I'm retired. Forget it. Not my world anymore.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      I used to buy cleated snow tires. Haven't done that here. Shoot, if gets really bad, I'm not heading out, period. Got what I need at home. Start a fire. Take a nap.

OH, keep your gas tanks filled, else you can get water condensation -- you don't want water in your gas tanks. Adding alcohol is a solution, yet ... . Never test Mother Nature, you'll not win.

Old Geezer, Jan 18, 2024
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my little British made 1000cc vehicle does just fine in the -7C to -9C (15F) temperatures of the last couple of days, starts first time every time even in the cold, just got some new car covers which work even in those temperatures.
    I never let my petrol tank go below half and sometimes even before that, unlike the sheeple who run on nearly empty.
    we dont take chances walking in the frost and ice, walking around to my shed is safe enough as our garden and yard are sheltered but any further is not possible until after lunch once the sun has done the defrosting.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  4. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I always keep my tank half full. It just seems to make sense.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've done it for the last 40 odd years, let my tank run dry just after I past my test in the mid 70s and it was a real pain to get the car started again, big Hillman Avenger I was driving back then.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    All the silt gets sucked into the carburettor and is a devil of a job to clean out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes that is what I found out all those years ago, I have tried to tell people but nobody listens, they probably all think I'm a bit strange, well maybe I am!(less of the maybe, I know I am- compared to most other people ).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    It's really about common sense, you and I are old enough to be of a generation that fixed these things ourselves rather than drop the car round to the local workshop. That goes for all aspects of life - people simply no longer learn the practical elements of all manner of daily objects and, hence, spend their money paying others to repair them or buying new ones when the old ones are still repairable.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    modern vehicles are so complex even a competent mechanic needs a computer to diagnose the problem.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Well I would hope that we could do most of the mechanical and wiring stuff. WTSHTF a lot of the "modern additions" on car could easily be junked (emissions kit, electric gizmos etc).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not too bothered about vehicles post SHTF although some components may be useful for other things if one is knowledgeable enough.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just bought an old GMC truck that's almost 20 years old. I was able to make some repairs on it myself. Did get my mechanics shop to go over it. I know these guys. They know me. When living further down South, my mechanics and I were on a first name basis. They were a small-time racing crew that competed in NASCAR. Here, I cut some deals with both this repair garage and with a body-shop/welding-shop crew, such that the deals were mostly barter and not cash. The body shop crew got paid with 100% barter. I let them have the better side of the deal. Hand-shakes all around. Shared my personal stories and they shared their personal stories. Good guys. Good folk to know.

Get to know people with needed skill sets. Know younger people with combat skills. Trade with ammunition (this will mean you have to have lots of ammo put back). Even have extra rifles and such. I could never use all of the guns and ammo I've put back. This stuff is to consolidate friendships with those whose skill-sets I do not possess. I know physicians and paramedics personally. Worked beside them. I can't do surgery. I do not have an engine-block puller.

If a particularly nasty SHTF even occurs, then POOF! I'm gonna be a home-boy. If I burn fuel, it will be to power my freezer to make ice blocks. I'll be cooking over wood fires. After time, I might have to venture out to cut more (now have long-bed truck). In the 1700s, during winters, people cut up MASSIVE ice blocks from ponds (further north, they cut ice blocks from the rivers). This they stored in what I would call large root cellars. The ice blocks were surrounded by very thick layers of straw.

I'm gonna be ordering and storing antibiotics. Our own routine meds, we are already storing. My great and friendly general practitioner agrees with me to have extra meds about and writes me scripts based on this. Anti-biotics I rarely have to take; however, this time last year, I got a bacterial or mycoplasmic origin bronchitis and my lungs began developing rales (lungs began gurgling with fluid build-up). Straight to the doctor I went and he gave me a couple of antibiotic choices. The med we picked began clearing up my lungs within 3 days. I could have died had I not done this. So, I'm gonna be ordering some doxycycline broad-spectrum antibiotic and put that in the fridge (to get the doxy, I'll have to order other meds, but the family can use those). I don't want to pull a Jim Henson.

Jim Henson was the creator of The Muppets. Get sick and avoid seeking medical attention = R.I.P. Jim Henson put off seeing about his developing pneumonia, so he died at age 54. Stupid way to die. In times past, way too many people died of simple pneumonia. Today, that death-count RARELY happens among those under age 65.

"HENSON DIDN’T SEE DOCTOR IN N.C., MOM SAYS"

https://www.deseret.com/1990/5/19/18862228/henson-didn-t-see-doctor-in-n-c-mom-says

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have an excellent relationship with the local garage who service and MOT(annual safety check) both our vehicles, also have same relationship with tyre garage who check our tyres and wheel alignment every 3 -4 months, lots of potholed roads in the UK so this is important if only for peace of mind.
    storing meds is not easy in the UK, OTC stuff isnt a problem but prescription stuff is , we can store 2-3 months worth by ordering early each month but anti biotics are only given out for specific and ongoing treatment, if we havent got an ailment that needs anti biotics then none will be prescribed, I have heard about buying animal anti biotics but am wary of buying stuff online we dont know what we are getting it might contain anything, there are natural anti biotics and I would trust these more.

14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Antibiotic medications here in the States require a prescription. However, there are ways to get around the laws.

Do-gooders are the most dangerous people on Earth. I loathe stupid weak people. These sheeple are easy prey for big-government wolves. Big Government when it comes into power turns on the self-sufficient, quality, moral people. The monsters do this because they know that the solid citizenry could one day turn on them. Thus, gun-control laws, currency-control laws, ... all of the anti-Liberty actions to attempt to chain-down the righteous people.

America's cities are cancers. Liberals are abandoning the cities due to high levels of crime (>50% of which never is reported to the police; no need, nothing that the police are allowed to do). They infect the Heartland when they move in. Post-SHTF, these people are going to have to be sent back, neutralized, ..., I don't know what. They sure will NOT be welcome here. I'll not help them. If they attempt to hurt us, I'll hurt them. I am totally not alone. As a matter of fact, I'm more tolerant than most. Post-SHTF, some local folk will just shoot and kill outsiders. They will. I'll not kill them, but neither will I help them. They are weak, immoral, and parasitic. Can't have such a fungal invasion.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most car drivers dont carrying anything in their vehicles, in fact modern vehicles dont have tools or even a spare wheel, dont know what you are supposed to do if you get a puncture.
    in winter a snow shovel and a saw might come in handy.

16. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I always carry a sow shovel, a waterproof coat, high viz vest and a torch on every journey. A friend laughed at me for having a snow shovel in the car during the summer. She stopped laughing when she got her car stuck in a roadside bank and I dug her out one spring morning.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont carry a snow shovel as we dont get much snow here, but I have a big red emergency bag for the car and a GHB for us humans. I've got a couple of spare car mats in the back for putting under the front wheels if we get stuck, only happened once with a previous car and it worked that time.

Brownbear likes this.
  18. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The car mats trick is good one, it spreads the weight and reduces the amount the vehicle sinks into the mud.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    exactly, it was in our previous car a Citreon Berlingo which is much heavier than my little Vauxhall Agila.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.