Air guns

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Arboreal, May 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to learn shooting, and a friend who's into this stuff has told me that a good and inexpensive start is to practice with an air gun (You're welcome to comment on this advice). However, he also claimed that any air rifle worth less that 500 dollars is not worth buying - would you agree with this? It's quite important to me, since living in Poland, I earn the equivalent of 600$ each month and it's a big expense that I'd rather avoid.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think an airgun is a good choice providing you intend to keep it as a part of your equipment. .22 Airguns are great for small game & inexpensive to use. If you do not intend to make this airgun a permanent fixture, then I recommend getting the right gun first off & learn how to use it (safety aspects being the most important thing to learn first!!!). Do not dismiss the idea of purchasing second hand. Many good firearms can be purchased second hand.
    Think about where you will be using this gun. Think about the type of game you will be hunting. I have modern guns & muzzle-loading guns, if I could only take one gun with me, I would take my flintlock fusil. A far superior gun for long term wilderness living in my opinion. As you are working to a budget, then you need to choose wisely & get it right first time, though if you do find that your first choice is not suitable, you can always trade it in on another, or sell it.
    Best of luck Arboreal.
    Keith.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Make your first airgun a basic model in a decent brand and brand new!
    You don't need any fancy stuff to learn on!
    Use the basic gun to really learn to shoot and maintain it well!
    Once you can really shoot well and have learnt for yourself
    Then upgrade to something better!

Lots a people are free with advise with other peoples money!

If you are not a competent shooter stay away from used guns!
    you need to learn to shoot proper before playing with maybe faulty guns!

If you cant shoot a new gun any good it is probably the shooters fault!
    If you learn on a faulty gun you are just wasting your time because you have no idea if bad results are because of gun or user!

Mekada likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a beman break open rifle that came with. A 22cal and a 177 cal barrel cost around 100 bucks at walmart. I have the 22cal barrel on it. Grea tlittle rifle quiet hard hitting hollow point. Pellets are great yes to learn on use to hunt small game they are a great tool to have

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A air rifle in 22cal is a great choice a beeman with both 22 and 177 cal barrels can be got at walmart for 100 bucks nice rifle for price loaded with hollow point pellets. It hard hitting quick kill tool these are great to learn on plus the are a quiet rifle the sound not going to give you away and can put many meals in pot for you when shtf and your location needs to remain quiet !

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    After a quick search, it turns out it would difficult to get a Beeman in my country - internet shops don't offet it :/ I'll ask about in military shops next Saturday. What other manufacturer do you recommend?

I don't think I'm going to hunt for anything, not anytime soon since there's likely little game in my area, and besides, the law here requires you to register in the national hunter's association first, and it's quite costly. You're probbaly right about purchasing a second-hand first.

I'm gonna need some luck like any newbie does, so thanks :)

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We in usa are lucky.to buy a air rifle no paper work needed walk. In and buy they are a toy. I never owned one as a kid i had a 22and a shotgun i got mine a few years ago my grandkids are learning on it it isnt legal to hunt with one here in pa but when shtf it will be used for small game so as to keep noise down deer and larger will be hunted with bows no noise the firearms will only be used to defend us and only when its needed im just to use to haveing the rights we have here

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    There's no need for papers to buy an air gun in Poland either, but if you want to use them for hunt, you need to register and it takes time and money. Real guns are a different story here, it's extremely difficult to get a licence, unless you're a memebr of a hunting ssocition or a sport club, and they're expensive, so very few people own firearms, actually.

It must be fascinating to hunt with a bow! There are roe deer in my area, but they're so rare here, I'm not sure if they're even legal game.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    When shtf all laws rules and bs gone you have the right to live feed and protect yourself i dont care where you are

Mekada likes this.
  10. mr_zippehead

mr_zippehead New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Air rifles are good for killing small birds and squirrels which you can eat. You don't want to waste a real bullet on these animals since they are too small. Depending on where you are, a good bolt action rifle can be purchased for under $500. A bolt action is good for hunting, if you are in a combat situation by yourself, one shot is enough.

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    There are 114 guns here all types and cal. The air rifle will feed you well enough when its needed the noise of a firearm going off can be heard along ways away where thhe air rifle can not be heard a few yards away. To survive eat and stay hidden a air rifle is great

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Even when we lived in the neighborhood of drug pushers, my husband did not buy a gun because he said he couldn't kill a person even if he is a criminal. A friend suggested an air gun, a pistol with pressurized CO2 and pellets as ammo. I agreed to that so I tried to convince my husband. Coincidentally, my husband's brother has an air gun like that so we inquired. The feedback was discouraging because the air pistol was good and the bullet can penetrate a milk can. However, the air cylinder of the gun is not that good in quality so easy to develop a leak. His air pistol was not a year old yet and he head it repaired twice already.

But that was so many years ago. Maybe the air pistol now is of a higher quality. So maybe we can take a look in the gun store. The biggest advantage of an air pistol over real guns is the license. An air gun needs no license and you can even carry it in your car with no need for a permit to carry.

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A simple spring loaded break open is best easy to work no mess no fuss co2 run out gun useless

14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    for post disaster only buy a break barrel air rifle, you can cock and load these all day without any diminishing of power output.

15. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Air guns are cool and they provide an inexpensive way to practice your marksmanship. If you get a good one you can easily take down small game very quietly too. We currently have two rifles and a pistol.

16. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    For practice, for the instruction of others, for the dispatching of small pests/varmints, and, depending on the airgun, the taking of small game they can be useful. For any sizeable animal or defensive purpose, most of them are quite worthless. There are some large-bore/high-power airguns capable of taking larger game though. All and all, they are sort of a footnote to many of our preparedness batteries.

17. ZogStoker

ZogStoker Well-Known Member
      68/93

Blog Posts:
    might be a bit late replying on here but here goes, if your in Europe as I am then look for an airguns made by Weihrauch, Webley to name a couple. The Weihrauch HW35 is a good break barrel, HW40 also good, anything by these two will serve you well

18. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    Bought mine secondhand from a guy more than a year ago. It was a bit scratched and had scuff marks here and there on the polymer stock. It has fibre optic sights and a ambidextrous safety. A 1000+ fps and good accuracy really makes me a big hatsan fan. The .177 ammunition is cheap and a lot of fun to shoot. I have had three of them since I was a child and they have all been great. Shop around, perhaps you will find a good deal online! Hatsan Mod 85.jpg

Brett Eden likes this.
  19. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean things like a PCP rifle?

20. Brett Eden

Brett Eden New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:

21. Brett Eden

Brett Eden New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I bought my son a Ruger pellet gun and it looks powerful but its not. One neighbor has one that will sink a pellet into a power pole at thirty yards. So do your research.. And shooting!!!!

22. Brett Eden

Brett Eden New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I meant, enjoy shooting!

Mekada likes this.
  23. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately there is a great variety of rifles to choose from. I used to work with a gentleman who is rated among the top ten air rifle shooters in the world. I used to shoot with him some afternoons and learned a lot about air rifles and adjusting to windage and elevation. I had a blast and it didn't cost a lot and to me that is shooting at it's best.

Brett Eden likes this.
  24. Brett Eden

Brett Eden New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    We use pellets for raccoons, possum, and armadillo..

Mekada likes this.
  25. Brett Eden

Brett Eden New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I like squirrel hunting with pellet gun because it's quiet

Mekada likes this.
  26. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    People seriously underestimate air rifles. I haven't shot any animal with mine yet, I have no need to. I also have a crossman vigilantly which is styled to look like a colt python revolver but it works with co2. I have shot mice and snakes with it. I had a daisy pellet gun before this hatsan and I was amazed at how much more forceful and loud this was.

27. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    FYI there was a incident that I remember about a young boy who accidentally shot his sister and she died before she cou get help. It was a while ago so I don't remember all the details.

28. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    I have a break barrel .177 air rifle that I got as my first "gun" it was around $200 USD and I put a $50 USD scope on it. if you are just looking to learn there is no need to get an extremely high-end rifle that will outshoot you for years of practice. This rifle taught me the fundamentals and could out shoot me for a few years and then I got to the point where I could shoot better than it could and so I moved up. and just because I can out shoot the gun doesn't mean that I can't use it anymore if I were to go after squirrel or rabbit I still could use it. would make a good pest gun because it is quiet

Mekada likes this.