Amazon Kindle Unlimited.......question.

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Jul 11, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    So.........I normally sign-up and read 27 to 29 hours a day in the winter, and cancel membership in the spring. Everything worked fine for many-many years, till this week. I sign-up for three months, and after many hours I can't get it to work. After a few "Chats" with their tech people, they advise that, NOW you must have a wireless thingie to get Kindle Unlimited. I got no wireless thingie.

Now my question..........why would they change what was working fine, and change it so it must be routed through a wireless thingie......??? My first thought this is some way they can collect info. or snoop, or spy. They said I must have wi-fi.

What say you..........???

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My phone and internet comes to me by Microwave, and is slower then dial-up.

3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

I feel cheated, I only get 24 hours in a day. :eek:

LOL! Did you mean 17 to 19 hours?

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is just how the technology works. Think about music for a bit. I have records that play at 78, 45, and 33 rpm, reel to reel, 8track tapes, Cassette tapes, now CDs and then all of it is gone and everything is done blue tooth or download to MP3 or whatever.

My first book readers were made so you bought the book thingies and put them in the reader, then the Nook then the kindle then another kindle and now I have 4 kindle fires and also read on my phone and computer. Nearly everything these days runs off of WiFi. I don't even know where my old wires are.

You can load some books onto the kindle fires but you have to do it as a document and it sucks. What you have to do now is basically Email them to the kindle fire to have them fully installed. Pain in the but I Agree but personally I couldn't imagine working my various computers, printers, TVs, kindles and kindle fires off wires. I even use the WiFi on my phone to save data and bandwidth.

If someone wants to monitor you they don't need to use your WiFi to do it. This is just technology moving forward. I know my newer kindle fires are way better in all ways than my first one and the battery lasts longer.

5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry that option for hours per day is ONLY available in Alaska.

6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    All us really old guys can make time stretch. I can prove it, just get into a long winded conversation with one of us and minutes will become hours. Secret trick we have.

7. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    With my Kindle I just need to "download" the book with an internet connection, then I can read it anytime anywhere Wifi or not. That's crap though... everything we do requires an internet connection these days.

I'm sorry IMBE!

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I do not have wifi, but have been able to access my Kindle Unlimited via ethernet with no problems. I know IBME does not have hardwired ethernet connection, but I posted to show that Kindle works without wifi.

IBME, maybe go further up the Amazon corporate tree to get the real scoop. It could be that the lower-tier customer support doesn't know much about microwaves, etc.?

9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    As I understand......it can not go directly into my laptop and I read it, which is what I did for several years. My understanding is that at my end it needed to at some point go through the "AIR".

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    What is strange, though, others are able to access it without going through the "air." Talk to someone at Amazon other than the lower-tier folks.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Just thought of something else... How up-to-date is your laptop's operating system?

I have had formerly functioning apps and programs go kaput when I didn't update my OS....

12. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if they are loading it directly to a Kindle "Reader" or if like me they are attempting to load direct to laptop, and read on laptop.

13. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    No, that isn't right. You should be able to plug an ethernet cable from your laptop to your router. The WiFi is irrelevant. it is just a radio signal performing the same function as the ethernet cable.

Apparently there is a new Kindle reading app required with the service. Are you using the App?

14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes........

The Innkeeper likes this.
  15. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Not sure IBME, I have a fire and have only ever used it via wi-fi. I do know you used to always have the option to send it to your reader, your phone or to your PC. So maybe like Grizzy said you need to update the app you have? I usually only used the Fire for Kindle, other things I'd download in pdf and dump it to my laptop. It always torqued me off that Kindle didn't play well with Adobe. Also Kindle as a system always seemed slow as crap to me for anything like web surfing or email.

16. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I just can't see paying a monthly fee to read books. I am sure I would feel differently if I lived in Alaska though.

17. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I have links to 2 sites that have free kindle books on prep, survival and homestead things. If you get to them early enough in the day otherwise they'd expire and go back to pay. I probably got 1000's of dollars worth of downloads thru that for $0.
    these change daily (most days) but if you don't have kindle Unlimited be sure to look at the regular Kindle price and make sure it's $0.00, otherwise you could spend a bunch of money quick.

http://prepforshtf.com/free-kindle-books-limited-time-offers/

This one can be good too but often will have fiction books on time travel or similar there also.

https://thehomesteadsurvival.com/free-at-time-of-posting-list-of-kindle-books-2/

18. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I pay near $10 a month to read tons of ebooks that have no additional charge. I can read them on all of my devices, and it's one of the better bargains I have ever run across.

It's also one way I discover new-to-me authors without having to buy anything. If I like what the authors are presenting in the freebies, I may buy something they have up for purchase.

It has also helped me to make money:

The Kindle Unlimited has helped me to study material that I needed to know, at no extra cost. For example, recently I needed to learn complex software for a huge project, AND be proficient at it. Like right away! So I enabled the free "textbooks" in my iPad (thanks to Kindle Unlimited), which I have handy at my desk. When I get stuck in a process and don't have time to do an internet search for the way out, the ebook in my tablet almost aways has the easy solution at my fingertips.

I also enjoy bunches of other useful ebooks covering a variety of topics...

I don't blame IBME for wanting to hang onto this valuable resource.