"amazon On Fire"

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Aug 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon...on-could-be-at-risk-of-collapsing-2019-08-24/

Good morning all,

Above is an article with a film on the Amazon fires.

Of course the article is "politically charged". Please bear with situation; couldn't find a basic article.

I'm posting this less for the news content and more so to provoke thought as to what you would do if asked to serve in some responder role going down to the disaster scene, ......

or, if you lived in an Amazon river city and had to follow a mandatory evac order.

Time to read up on and save the piranha.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When you posted this, I couldn't find anything scientific or factual either. So even though this link I'll post below is from NASA, I think it is a good one. Scrolling down in the link, it shows satellite imagery taken over a period of 4 days, which I don't think is misleading. I don't care what anyone says, it is a crying shame it is on fire. I doubt it is an accident and I strongly feel it is greed.
    https://www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145498/uptick-in-amazon-fire-activity-in-2019

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well, take this for what it's worth. I am a wildlife biologist and had MUCH forestry. I've also worked as a Park Ranger which at times included working fire control and SAR. As a young man I was fortunate enough to get to visit part of the amazon rain forest (didn't consider it fortunate at the time) and learned much from the locals.

It's winter, with spring coming on in the amazon. Winter is dry in the amazon and forest fires have always been a thing down there. What will matter is the type of fire. If these are flash fires that move through the areas fast, just burning up dry fuel at ground level, it will actually help the forest. If these are slow fires that creep through the areas and burn deep into the leaf litter and climb into the canopies, this is bad. I haven't heard one way or another, which kind of fire it is. If these are bad fires, it will take years for the old growth forest (Jungle) to grow back. And. that will affect the air for all of us for MANY years to come. Soon the rains should start back up and hopefully put out the many fires.

Dale

Radar, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    cool. But it is still wretched that it is burning. We don't hear much about it but I did hear "they" are trying to control it in certain areas.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just something to think about. Look at the pictures the media is using for there coverage and remember they are edited to make things look as bad as they can. The first thing I noticed in all the pictures I was seeing was that they were all of clearings. The amazon rainforest has NO natural clearings but LOTs of high trees. The trees in the backgrounds of almost every picture, still have there foliage. The canopies are NOT burning. The farmers are burning there farms again. Until the practice of burning is replaced with the use of Biochar and altering the tropical soils as there ancestors did, the amazon will continue to be burned in season. How many North American farmers and gardeners, burn of their fields in the spring before planting again.

Just a side note. The media is mostly ignoring that the Congo in Africa and the Siberian forest are also having large fires currently.

11446260-3x2-940x627.jpg

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Radar,

Actually, ... the Amazon fires are indirectly from greed but directly a matter of basic levels of land use for subsistence living.

Brazil, prior to the current chief of state, resembles (ed) California. Taxes collected but large public disbursements go to the favored. The Amazon was cleared for small farming and livestock by families.

The only solution I can think of is for the Government of Brazil to invite the colonial Dutch back to the place.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.