Ancient Fishing Skill, Apparatus

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Pragmatist, Aug 28, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Bishop and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    I was watching the show "Alone" and saw one of them using this method out of a limb he'd cut down.

3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Hobo reels are what I always heard them called as well as hand reels. I really like the YoYo type hand reels (pic below) and use it when kayak fishing as a extra line. Prefer it for ocean fishing more than fresh water. With 50lb test it makes bringing in bottom fish pretty easy.

2 hand reel.jpg

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It would not let me read it but before it blocked me I read enough to get the gist of it. I made something similar to this out of PVC pipe. I wrapped three different lines on the pipe and filled it with hooks, weights and a few small jigs and spoons. I carried it in my truck and used it several times with good success.

The three lines were 10 lb mono, 30 lb braid and 75 lb braid for limb lines. The mono I would use for small fish and cast it off of the pipe. The 30 lb braid would be used to make cane poles and such then the heavy line for linb lines. I could use the small jigs to catch a small pearch and then use that for cut bait on the heavier lines.

Where I was raised and live now there is a lot of water and fishing would be a lot more productive and certain than hunting or trapping for daily meals.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We call those things Cuban yo-yos. I have several of them from small 4" ones that I made out of sewer pipe to 9" ones and they work amazingly well. The 4" ones have 10 lb line and are used to catch perch and small fish that I can then use to bait the 9" 50 lb lines. My 6" have 30 lb line on them. If you hook up to a big fish it is a very memorable tussle.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    How to Turn a Bottle Into a Fishing Pole
    SURVIVAL NEWS BY TODD ON MAY 30, 2018 NO COMMENTS

[​IMG]

Special Offer: Save Up To 50% On J5 Tactical Flashlights Today! Only on Amazon.com

Making an emergency fishing pole in the field isn’t that complicated, and all you really need is a good stick. However, one of the drawbacks that’s easy to overlook beforehand is that you can’t cast with a pole that doesn’t have a reel. While this may not be a problem when you can just drop a line in the water and wait for a bite, you may run into trouble if you’re trying to reach fish that are farther away.

On the other hand, you can use a plastic bottle to overcome this limitation, and you can ditch the pole altogether. Take a look at the steps below, and see how you can put this fantastic survival resource to work for you.

Sturdy Water Bottle

While you can use any plastic bottle you like for this project, consider using a sturdy water bottle instead. This will help you to conserve space and turn your bottle into a handy multi-tool at the same time. The first step is to wrap some duct tape around the bottle so that it’s situated about an inch above the center. Repeat with a second rap that starts about an inch from the bottom. Make each wrap about ¼ inch thick. When finished, you should have an inch-wide gap between the two wraps, and this is where you will spool your line.

Using the duct tape will provide you with a number of benefits. First, this is a great way to store duct tape. Second, it can act as a grip as you’re waiting for a catch. Finally, the wraps help to hold the line in the center of the bottle, and it also minimizes tangling as well. The next step is to tie off one end of the line to the bottle and start spooling the rest. When finished, cut the line and attach your sinker, lure or hook. Use this as an anchor to hold everything in place, and you’re good to go.

EarlyMarksman likes this.
  7. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    Appreciate that. Wrote that one down.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a very small stainless steel fishing rod called an Emmrod that is a great and almost indestructible rod. With a small reel on it I have caught fish up to ten pounds with no trouble at all. The rod is only about 14" long but the action comes from a 6 coil spring that make it cast amazingly well. It is a little pricy but It is small enough and tough enough that I just have it in my truck all the time.

It would go in my pack if I was running and going rough. Between that and an AR-7 I could feed myself well for a long time. Both together with a couple boxes of bullets and a few hooks and weights, jigs and spoons make a very easy carry in a survial kit.

I can get by with just a knife, space blanket, flint and steel, hook and line and a slingshot but if offered the choice I like the step up that things like this get me.

Dalewick likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have an emergency fishing kit in a small box that would not take up much room in a pack.
    inside is all the hooks, weights, lures etc I need including a Hobo type hand line, this is all I need post SHTF. most of the time I will be putting out a baited line or a fish trap for retrieval a few hours later.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL..........you guys have me laughing to myself in my going down memory lane...

I have right now in the back of my car a fishing pole which I've had for years and years..

It consists of a 20 inch piece of bamboo about a half inch thick and an eye on the end held with super glue and then bound with 20 pound fishing line and then super glued over that.

The reel is a yard sale /flea market small spinning reel...and held to the bamboo pole by two small hose clamps. 25 lb. test line on it.

I've caught many a fish on this rig down at work when we were not busy...and kept the fillets and deep sixed the carcasses.

This rig is for dinner...not for sport.

It is not fancy but should I have to get rid of it ...it too would have been deep sixed...but over the years I just took it home with me. Now it resides in the back of my car.

In the olde days fishing was easy on graveyard shift...but since 9/11 too many security cameras have been put up next to our favorite fishing spots....and thus we have given it up. 9/11 changed alot across the country.

Now days the best we can do is look down at the water and watch the striped bass feeding and our palms itch...and we want desperately to scratch it. But we sigh and think fondly of the Olde Days.

People can come up with all kinds of way to fish.

One of the U tube videos I have been watching ...as I have never tried it..is running a trot line. I found these videos interesting. I have no interest in going out deep sea fishing...just not interested...

Plenty of fish to be caught locally without going way out in the Chesapeake Bay or out in the ocean. For some reason that just does not interest me

I too started out at night with a rig consisting of hook and swivel...with line wrapped around a Pepsi can.

Only later did I figure out how to manufacture a disposable rod and reel holding some decent weight'/test line. for salt water..

When you put your mind to it ...you can come up with all kinds of ways to reach your goals..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.