Angels In The Darkness

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Old Geezer, May 18, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:

John, we gonna miss you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey Joe, wanna visit? Come to me in the night and we'll smoke one together. In the silence and in the darkness, we'll smoke one together. Wanna howl at the moon? Let's do that. Come to me in the night, and we'll smoke one together. In the coolness of the darkness, let us escape. You are not and I am no longer a part of this thing. Let us smoke one together.

arctic bill and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Blues and white liquor, slowly approaching Paradise, go slow so you don't miss it. Don't pass it by. That would make you cry. Seems I hear a resonator guitar. It is so sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3znZeqOs6eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUxqmwWYtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZ2_tJOLu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTQxSkTXww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SoZG4yDaJA

Old Gzr, my saint, Saint Son House, now happy on the right hand of God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgrQoZHnNY

Everybody love Son House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlSka5iqPY

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer, Apr 26, 2023
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like Howlin' Wolf...well I would wouldn't I ? LOL.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Blues? Now your talking my kind of music

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    And the list goes on and on.

These are America's forgotten heroes.

People will talk on and on about how much rock'n'roll means to them. Now ask them where the rock bands got their inspiration. Some may know a tad, "Well, I hear that the Mississippi Blues had something to do with the origins." Now ask them to name some blues artists. Crickets. They'll be lucky to be able to name one or two.

To me, that is deeply troubling.
    ====================================

Here's a history read that all rock'n'roll enthusiasts need to read -- lot's of info. I've only included a handful of paragraphs. Read the whole article if you love Rock'n'Roll. Had a relative who recorded early bluegrass music, but he also recorded Black Spirituals (a.k.a. Black Gospel) -- now that is true spiritual music. That is from the soul.

"The Overlooked Roots of Rock N Roll"

https://thejhsshow.com/articles/how-the-delta-gave-us-rock-n-roll

"This article is a walk down Highway 61, arguably the most iconic stretch of highway in music history. Heck, Bob Dylan even named one of his most famous albums, Highway 61 Revisited, after this road. Basically, the Delta is a two hundred mile range of land that starts in Memphis, Tennessee (it technically starts at the Mississippi state line, just south of Memphis) and goes down through Clarksdale, Mississippi. It’s the namesake for the Delta Blues, a musical genre that influenced some of the greatest rock and roll musicians in history: PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton and tons of others. No big deal.

"Translation: that is a monumentally big deal.

"The Mississippi Delta is the region where we see the first seeds of rock and roll. We can listen to Led Zeppelin and say, 'That's the first form of metal,' but it started in the Delta. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were obsessed with Delta blues artists, and that inspired them.

"Robert Johnson may be the most influential American guitarist ever, when you weigh the circumstances and the history surrounding his legacy.

"I definitely encourage you to check out his compilation recording released in 1961, King of the Delta Blues. How important is it? That album becomes the record that young Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Bob Dylan hear and are inspired by. Then in 1970, they put out part two of Johnson’s compilation, which had alternate takes. Then in the nineties, they released a two-CD set that sold about a million copies. It's really astronomical how well it did.

"In closing, I want to read a quote from Bob Dylan out of his biography about Highway 61 and the way that we think about songs in America: “Highway 61, the main thoroughfare of the country blues, begins about where I began. I always felt like I'd started on Highway 61. I'd always been on it and I couldn't go anywhere else. Even down to the deep Delta country, it was the same road full of the same contradictions, the same one-horse towns, the same spiritual ancestors. It was my place in the universe and always felt like that highway was in my blood.”

"Basically, if you ever have a chance to come to the Delta, do it. Start in Memphis and just go south. And if you see the Devil standing at a crossroads, I’d advise you to keep on driving."

===================================================================

Years ago I was listening to an interview with Mick Jagger. He said when the band members (who eventually became the Rolling Stones) were young/teenagers, they would buy what they could afford in Delta Blues albums, all the artists recordings they could afford. They were utterly obsessed with the Mississippi Blues and wanted to be able to play like those artists. Jagger said that they would play these albums over and over, constantly they were soaking-up the Blues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones

"Keith Richards and Mick Jagger became classmates and childhood friends in 1950 in Dartford, Kent. The Jagger family moved to Wilmington, Kent, five miles (8.0 km) away, in 1954. In the mid-1950s, Jagger formed a garage band with his friend Dick Taylor; the group mainly played material by Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Howlin' Wolf, and Bo Diddley. Jagger next met Richards on 17 October 1961 on platform two of Dartford railway station. The Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters records Jagger was carrying revealed to Richards a shared interest. A musical partnership began shortly afterwards. Richards and Taylor often met Jagger at his house. The meetings moved to Taylor's house in late 1961, where Alan Etherington and Bob Beckwith joined the trio; the quintet called themselves the Blues Boys."

Old Gzr: White rock'n'roll is essentially an extension of, a permutation of black Rhythm'n'Blues. Rhythm'n'Blues simply jazzed-up the Delta Blues / Mississippi Blues. Ray Charles caught all manner of heat from his community because his music was thinly disguised Black Gospel music.

If you want to hear the real soul of this music, go back and listen to recordings of the original black artists.
    --------------------------

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  15. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Though it has been years and years since I spoke with this olde timer in the shipyard wherein I work,,...we spoke one day about music and I was astonished to hear him say that todays Rock and Roll goes back to a form in the olde days called "Rockabilly."

I'd never heard the term until that day but have never forgotten it.

Here from Wiki..

Rockabilly - Wikipedia

And yes...it incorporated all those various music disciplines from those areas Olde Geezer mentions.

Apparently many younger folk today know nothing about that history and think Rock and Roll is a new and original thing...it is not.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in Britain we had "Skiffle" in the 1950s , with the likes of Lonnie Donegan, which predates Rock and Roll.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I love music, I listen to more hours of music than I spend in front of my coffin sized flatscreen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer, Feb 26, 2024
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Scots-Irish Bluegrass musicians incorporated the banjo into their instrument armaments. The banjo has its roots running back to Africa, being re-adapted by African slaves here in the South. Understand that in East Tennessee, the poor whites had sympathies with the blacks (aided mightily the "Underground Railroad"), opposed slavery (violently so), and hated -- actually loathed (i.e. wanted them dead) -- the rich Southern land-holders.

May seem odd, but you gotta know the local history. Hillbillies, Blacks, and Cherokee = a trio created by poverty and mutual enemies. This trio didn't always get along; but then, welcome to human nature, welcome to semi-functional families.

https://birthplaceofcountrymusic.org/

upload_2024-2-26_16-32-30.png

============================

Anti-slavery passions

It was 1820 = 40 years before the breakout of America's first civil war.

"The Emancipator"

https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/the-emancipator/

"Published by Elihu Embree at Jonesborough in 1820, the Emancipator was the first newspaper in the United States solely devoted to the abolition of slavery. Embree had previously published a weekly newspaper, the Manumission Intelligencer, in 1819, and it was followed by the Emancipator from April to October 1820. According to Embree, the purpose of the Emancipator was 'to advocate the abolition of slavery and to be a repository of tracts on that interesting and important subject.' ”

----------------------------------------------------

Appalachian people had sympathies with the Five Nations. They also intermarried. It was all complex. History's lessons are always complex, even downright confusing, strange, difficult to believe. Go figure.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20557571

https://dh.wcu.edu/index.php/2010/08/30/william-holland-thomas/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  20. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have certain tastes in music to which I have learned to identify over the years.......and not just go with the latest flow or fashion.

I do not like music which overtakes me and moves me to another beat or tempo...not my own...

I prefer music which aids my labors or even my relaxation and does not overtake me or try to re route my thinking or direction.

I do not care for jazz per se...light jazz yes..and certain R&B...most of it no... Same with country...it is becoming rock and roll and even rap...same for Rock and Roll. I have no use for rap....as it comes across as trying to herd me....overtake me and make me march to a tune and or tempo in which I am not interested.....and country too today. Rock and Roll....no thanks.

Some where over the years ....I learned to identify that....fingerprint about music.

If you can think outside the box...you can even see this extended into advertising...to put you on a treadmill not your own...by preying on perceived inadequacies. A type of seduction ...Herding..

Be very very careful about music used in movies and videos....often designed to put you on someone else's threadmill.....someone else's emotions...thoughts and ideas....puppet strings.....not your own by grabbing you by your unthinking and unawares unguarded emotions.

Be Warned these Ishmaelites....using and misusing music to control you...herd you ..

I'll go my own way ...and for my own reasons as well. And so too it is with Music....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I like all kinds of music, from classical to hard rock and everything in between. Depends on my mood and what I'm doing at the time. I don't let anyone control me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not into anything particular at the moment, cant stand the modern stuff its all little boy tenors and what I call jungle music, I just prefer peace and quiet to that stuff.
    saw the UK entry for Eurovision, what a load of rubbish.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what music is happening at the moment. Other than Taylor Swift, which I haven't listened to. I've been listening to Pink Floyd (another brilliant UK band) and have just switched to Bob Dylan as we speak. Haven't listened to him in years. I actually don't know if he's still alive, to be honest.

I can't stand Eurovision, The Voice and all that rubbish. I never watch them. I don't watch any reality TV actually. Big Brother and the like. Can't stand them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no. me neither.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  25. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Being almost completely deaf, I no longer listen to any music. My hearing apparatus does not do music any favors, or for me either. LOL

Blitz likes this.
  26. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha! Fair enough. Do you miss listening to music though?

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      I was an old Rock and Roll fan. I do miss the music but there is nothing that can be done. Technology is not better than the original equipment. LOL

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
      TMT Tactical, Mar 2, 2024
      Blitz likes this.
  27. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That's a bummer TMT.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575