Anniversary May 18 1980

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by wally, May 18, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    anniversary of Mt. St. Helens erupting...

remember it well...

was at home outside and had to look UP to see the top of the plume from about 80 miles away...

in some towns down south there are still piles of ash from that day...

remember to prep folks for everything...

wally

Morgan101 likes this.
  2. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Am I right in remembering that there was virtually no warning prior to the eruption?

wally likes this.
  3. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    there was really no warning, although everyone knew it was gonna blow shortly...

i believe there was an earthquake and then minutes later it blew/erupted//collapsed/landslide....

4. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Thank you - that's how I thought I remembered it, but it was a long time back and the memory plays tricks.

I'm not sure there is much prepping other then Evac bags for such a situation.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    wally likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my first marriage ended in January 1980 so I dont remember much about that year, much of my time that year was spent on starting again and moving from one rented room to another.

wally and Brownbear like this.
  6. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember the explosion. I lived down in Chehalis from 93' to 95' and there was an ash layer in my yard. Going up to the volcano was awesome. So many trees all laying like toothpicks.

Dale

wally, TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  7. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    wow that is about 30 miles from where i live now. i actually try and spend my money in chehalis/centralia to support that nice area...howdy long ago neighbor :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Howdy. I loved that area. My youngest was born in Centralia. The only thing I didn't like at the time was the I-5 drive. Especially up through Tacoma and Seattle. I drove a lot for work and 14 lanes of traffic was something I never got used to. LOL! I really miss the fishing out there. There is nothing like hooking up a large steelhead. Tasty too.

Dale

PS - How's the sturgeon fishing these days?

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if one lives in a volcanic area then one should prepare for volcanic eruptions.
    each different area and each different country will have different events to prep for its just working out what they are.

wally, Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    While I don’t live on or near a volcano, and I am guessing the closest is perhaps 200 air miles away, if one blows it can still impact me with the ash fallout and the disruption of air traffic. I recall a few years ago doing subsistence fishing with a tribal friend near Dillingham when a volcano blew in the Aleutians. I just made it out before air travel was shut down for days. Somewhere in Alaska their is always a volcano acting up on any given day. While I can’t see a volcano from my property, a short 20 mile drive I can get to a high spot. On a clear day with binoculars, I am almost guaranteed to see at least one of them blowing smoke.

That said, it’s wildfires, bears and earthquakes, in that order that I am more worried about.

12. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i've never actually gone sturgeon fishing my entire time here...

yes I-5 can be a PITA for sure....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.