Another Use For A Microwave Oven.....

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by watcherchris, May 8, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Goodness me....it was in front of me all the time and I did not recognize it....it is so simple...

A microwave is a faraday cage......

If you do not want your electronic devices to receive or give out any signals...stick them in your microwave oven.....

Suggest you unplug it should the very very ignorant turn it on.

But that is in fact what a microwave is...a type of faraday cage...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will be passing this information on to people I know.....particularly preppers.

You never quite know when you need to be more untraceable...through your electonic devices....

Place them in a microwave oven....and unplug it.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:

Thank your for reminding us!

If I have to bug-out, I'll be using my old vehicles because the new cars can track you. I guess one could disable a new car's antenna and the wiring to it. Once had an older truck model. Had the computer-controlled carburetor switched to old style. The distributor was old style also. Did this to make it EMP resistant. The engine power wasn't as great and we didn't get nuked before I sold it. If you don't experiment, you don't know.

Seems now however that we actually are well into the slippery slope leading to Armageddon. Doesn't matter to me, but the fate of kids and grandkids sits on my chest. I'm prepping them now. Distributing my firearms to younger generation folk whose heads are screwed-on straight.

Phone conversation today with one son of mine living in another state (in the mega-conservative part of the state) and I further learn that he is becoming me (he's approaching 40). I warned him about becoming too cynical. Has a mountain stream running back behind his house. Told him that that water was also a refrigerator. He'd already thought about it. Told him that the creek could be used as a source of water-wheel generated electricity. He'd already looked-up the "how-to" plans. He knows. Anyone with half ounce of common sense knows that it's gonna hit the fan ... and soon.

Back to microwave: If you have a generator, it is summer, you've a tank of gas purchased with silver or gold, then don't waste wood-generated heat to boil water. Power the microwave long enough to do these small jobs.

----------------------------------

Here's an experiment using a Faraday cage with and without a metallic bottom shield. The experimenter then compares grounded versus ungrounded cage.

Spoiler: You must have a shield on the bottom of your Faraday cage. You ONLY need grounding if the device within the cage must have a ground. Any ground wire itself requires shielding lest it conduct induced noise into the device in question. Some electronics does require grounding. Most home electronics does not. I'm from the industrial world and am often biased by equipment requiring grounding.

Your generator requires shielding and the wiring from your generator needs to be shielded.

4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a good thread . An old non-working microwave , stuck back in my stash " is my faraday cage " . Things within for extra security are double protected by placing the items in " zip lock EMP Bags " . I don't actually consider anything in my faraday cage " critical " for survival but are things that would be of help after the big one . For instance in it sits my Civil Defense Radiation Detector and Emergency Battery operated radio . I have a second battery operated emergency radio that I keep out for my use , so as to avoid the hassle of taking the radio in or out of the faraday cage .

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL Olde Geezer..

I have in my garage my Dad's olde 1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 6 cylinder three on the tree sedan. When you lift the hood ...you can still see the earth through the engine compartment. Try that one with these newer vehicles.

This vehicle still runs and I have overhauled the 250 CID six cylinder some years ago.

I remember those big Chevy's...when you get on the highway..those big cars really float...

I've never had a car payment.....even for my scooters....

Nice not to have car payments.....wonderful.

Watcherchris.
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never bothered with a Faraday Cage or anything resembling it, even if something electrical works after SHTF the infrastructure probably wont.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, old news and the door seal can be a weak link so you need to look sealing it outside with multi-layer foil, put a cell phone inside and dial it, if the phones rings its back to the drawing board.

@lonewolf "I have never bothered with a Faraday Cage or anything resembling it, even if something electrical works after SHTF the infrastructure probably wont." cheap solar panel, rechargeable batteries and your in business, ideal for some LED lighting or radio; nice little project for you. I'll price up a starter kit for you when I have time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    dont bother I dont want or need your tech, I have other plans.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Late to the party… What a brilliant idea! That never occurred to me. In the event of an EMP , it could protect my tablet ( stored books) and a simple FM radio. Information is key,especially in a crisis.

10. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ok.....Ok........Ok.....

I decided to put this to the test for myself...and it does not work with my microwave oven.

I called up my lady friend and told her to wait two minutes and call my phone.

My cell phone was on vibrate and I put it in my microwave ...and in a couple of minutes it vibrated inside the microwave..

Hence that one is shot in the foot.

However...I received three new Faraday bags the other day.....

I put my phone in an olde Faraday bag and repeated the process....it vibrated....

I am thinking the olde Faraday bag was damaged..worn out.

Next I put my phone into a new Faraday Bag and had her dial it again...

It did not ring when put in the new Faraday Bag....

Just letting the members here know my results....you folks decide for yourselves.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now...I should let the members know that I have several Tecsun Model PL660 Short wave radios with single Sideband capability...and for these radios I have wrapped two of them into aluminum foil...several layers.

TECSUN PL-660 Portable AM/FM/LW/Air Shortwave World Band Radio with Single Side Band, Black : Electronics (amazon.com)

Four others I have wrapped them into aluminum Foil and also put them into metal Ammo Cans ...primarily for the water proof gasket on these cans.

The microwave idea ...not happening here now....no way!!!

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.