Anyone Planning On Going Off Grid?

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by Daniel Sylvester, Nov 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Daniel Sylvester

Daniel Sylvester New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    With our world in turmoil it looks like a perfect time to go off grid. I am currently in the process of buying 10 acres in Utah or Oregon within the next couple months and want to start a homestead. If anyone is interested please feel free to contact me at sydan7676@gmail.com.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Been off grid for many years solar and wind power here

Prairie Dog likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    when the power goes off we'll all be "off grid" whether we want to or not!:rolleyes:
    personally its not a problem, I have lived without power before and will again.

Edprof, Keith H. and Prairie Dog like this.
  4. mrfred

mrfred Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    Tools: Might I suggest hand tools. One or two man logging saws. Axes. Bit and brace with auger bits for drilling in wood. Hammers and hatchets. Anything our grandfathers used that only required physical ability.

Edprof, Keith H. and Prairie Dog like this.
  5. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I am incrementally working my way off grid. Not looking to reproduce an"modern" lifestyle, just maintain some lighting, ability to move water and provide refrigeration. In a long term shtf event, all of these systems will eventually fail, my intent is to provide a longer period in which I have the ability to learn and use all the skills that would become necessary.
    Prairie Dog

Keith H. and mrfred like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    too many people try to make being off grid post shtf too involved, keep it simple is my philosophy.

Keith H. and Prairie Dog like this.
  7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Just ordered 1kw solar panels, 80A controller, isolator switch and a 3500w pure sine inverter!

will leave the batteries for a few weeks until the above is delivered and I have fitted it all!

8. Edprof

Edprof Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    We could at any minute. Just waiting for the opening kickoff of a new kind of ball game.

lonewolf likes this.
  9. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    No, but I wish I could. I had being a slave to the electric company. Also, our state needs to allow de regulation. I might contact my state legislator about that today. Thanks for reminding me! I think we should all get electric at competitive rates.

10. Edprof

Edprof Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm not wanting to go off grid. But I've sure made some preparations in case I, along with everybody else, gets forced off the grid.

11. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I personally don't want to go off he grid. However, with crazy times these days I might be forced to move off the grid. Preferably I would be looking for a 5-8 acre land plot.

12. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    My current location and the plans may not make it easier for me to go off the grid. But based on what I have seen I can tell you that it'd be safer if I had an access to the power source. There is no river nearby and the windmill need to be built in such case. That's one more reason why I think going off the grid is not an easy task. Some people can do it though. But it's lot harder than your typical plans.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we will all be "off grid" post SHTF.

14. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I have to say that I agree with you. It's actually really hard to go off the grid and have a water source. Without a water source nearby it's actually quite impossible to go off the grid.

15. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    The only power we have here is solar. This brings alot of problems though since we have 24 hours of daylight in the summers and none in the winters. Thinking about going wind but I dont think its windy enough here.
    Our teen girl needs alot of power. I have no idea what shes doing with it. So in the winters theres alot of money going to fuel the generator.

16. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Dig a well?

17. SuperBugMan

SuperBugMan New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm constantly working on trying to become self-sustaining. I want to go live by myself, on a large plot of land away from everything. I don't really want to live 'off the grid' in the sense that I disconnect completely from the outside world though.

I dunno if this is too personal, but how much is the land you're looking at? I'm interested in buying my own little world at some point. I live in SoCal though so I dont know much about prices. That amount of land here would be ~5-10 million.

18. L.Anderson

L.Anderson Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I tried some times with just my backpacking solar charger.

19. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are already off grid & have been for about the past 40 years.
    Keith.