Are there others here who got tick diseases?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by bluebetta, Jul 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Ticks are a constant concern where I live. Very close family members have gotten lyme disease and rocky mountain spotted fever. I became rather accustomed to picking ticks off me after venturing in the woods and gave them little thought until I developed a rare allergy called alpha-gal. One day I had an anaphylactic reaction to a steak. I was diagnosed with an allergy to mammal meat , or specifically the alpha-galactose in mammal meat. Until this happened to me I had never heard of alpha-gal allergy, and I was very surprised to learn you get it from a tick bite. That year I had been camping 6 times, but I believe the tick that did it bit me while fishing on my father's pond.

I wish I could tell you that this didn't deter my outings in the woods. However psychologically, I am more afraid of ticks than I was before, and I find myself more worried about them. Are there other people here trying to learn to survive in the wilds whilst battling a current tick disease? What illnesses have you gotten from ticks and how did you get over them? What things do you recommend to prevent future illness? I have started wearing a hat or bandanna over my head when out.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  2. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never been infected by any tick diseases myself, but I have an aunt who has. Lyme disease is no joke, and I think I read somewhere it is even sexually transmitted. Her symptoms make her absolutely miserable.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  3. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    There is no easy cure for any tick-related illnesses or diseases. because of this the easiest way method is prevention. wood ticks can be seen hanging on the tops of grass blades waiting for someone to walk by that they can grab onto. Guinea foul often just called guineas are birds that are slightly smaller than chickens that eat ticks. if you buy a few of them and just let them run around they will eat all of the ticks in the area. lick chickens they are pretty defenceless and are close to the bottom of the food chain meaning that they need to be protected at night in a coop and that they will die off slowly over time with preditor attacks. this is unpreventable and can be anything from a larger bird to bear to racoons to dogs in the area. expect to loose a few birds per year but if you have land that you want to be tick free this is the best way to do it. unlike chickens they will not scratch at the ground so they wont damage the grass or plants you have.

The Innkeeper and Mekada like this.
  4. jim brown

jim brown Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have Lymes and it is very painful when it kicks in. My doc has giving me 2 rounds of very strong antibiotics. Not fun can not be in the sun. Iam not sure I will ever get rid of it . Be careful. JR Brrown Chief

5. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Many ticks around here too, bug spray (DEET) on pant legs and boots helps some but sometimes the little bastards will drop from trees on you.

Doxycycline is the recommended antibiotic for treating most tick-borne diseases including Lyme, Typhus, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. A side effect of doxy is sensitivity to sunlight so it sounds like that was what you were prescribed. It treats a number of other common infections too, and if biological warfare is a concern then it's probably the single best antibiotic to have since it treats many of the likely bio agents including anthrax, plague, and tularemia. Available as "Bird Biotic" from Thomas Labs or from some online pharmacies without a prescription. I stock it in our med supplies and have taken courses of the Bird Biotic a few times in the past (for pnuemonia a couple years ago most recently). I stock about 6 or 7 different antibiotics but if I could only afford one it might be doxycycline.

7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My antibiotic stash is low , I think I will follow your advice and stock up on Doxycycline .

8. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Guess I should mention I don't buy the powdered bird/fish antibiotics but only the ones sold as capsules or tablets. I've bought from a couple different distributors over the years and in every case when I opened the bottle (and broke the inner factory seal) the contents were always the correct drug and the human variety based on the markings/imprints. Since no two drugs can have the same markings per the FDA regulations, it would be a violation of federal law for a company to sell a tablet/capsule that was marked as one drug but differed in any way (including strength, binders, inactive ingredients, etc) from the drug that was registered with the FDA. Imagine the problem for poison control centers or emergency rooms if two pills were marked identically but were in any way different.

Here's one I ordered about 4 years ago, ingredients marked on the bottle as 100mg of doxycycline hyclate:

7d58d9a76dbeca0e052e7c86732a2c08.jpeg

The capsule is marked marked with "West-ward 3142", and found here: https://www.drugs.com/imprints/west-ward-3142-844.html

It's not that I wouldn't trust the ones sold as powders/granules, just personally like the added protection of having federal law on my side when it comes to the capsules. This is probably old news for most here, but also wanted to test how images and links worked on the forum too.

9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have
    I ordered my supply of doxycycline a short time ago in 100mg capsules from the Russian federation , sold as people antibiotics .

10. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Look into diatomaceous earth...who knows...maybe it will help with Lyme disease....i know it kills bugs and insects...but use food grade. I have used it as a detox, to kill bugs on fruit trees, keeps pest out of your house and around the outside of house, even used it for head lice on one of my grandkids. It is a miracle product. Do a search on it, everyone.

11. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Wife has lymes. Steady doses of doxycycline are the answer but it still creates problems after 4 years

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.