Are You a Narcissist?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by DecMikashimota, Jun 30, 2016.

Are You a Narcissist? 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    According to research, the likelihood of people having narcissistic traits have sky rocketed. Due to multiple run-ins with these types I realized that I may possess some of these traits as well. I don't know about you, but this scares me. Do you think that social media among other things is contributing to narcissist culture? If so, is there anything that we can do to stop it from affecting us as a whole?

Keith H. and Deeishere like this.
  2. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that the word narcissist or person who is in love with themselves has been thrown around lately more than it should be. I highly doubt that everyone who is inculpated of having this sickness/problem is in fact a person who is in love with them self, or if that constitutes that this person is capable of doing as much harm as general consensus suggests. Sometimes it may just be learned behavior that can quickly be unlearned once people are given the opportunity in a different situation.

3. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I agree that people are increasingly becomming narscissists and nobody cares much for those outside their social circles than before. There is much less sympathy and empathy. Its a culture of everyone for himself and God for us all. Its not uncommon to find siblings who are wallowing in the depths of poverty and despair while their counterparts are living large. Some narcissists hat the trait ask inborn while others learn the ropes. But the good things is that there are good apples who make a difference in a person's life in their own small ways.

4. GhostBuster

GhostBuster New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Nice term! I believe that I am a narcissist and I definitely enjoy purchasing apparel, especially brands like Nike. When I was younger I did not like clothes but now that I am experiencing adolescence, I have a huge thing for clothes. If there is a god, he created everyone with different traits for a reason of different prosperity.

5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't think of myself as a narcissist. Self-centeredness might be the only narcissist trait I display, but that's because I value my independence haha. My self-love is more respect for my body and soul rather than a hardcore "I'm so sexy, everyone look at me" attitude. As much as like to look nice, I don't necessarily need the best clothes or the finest jewelry. I don't over-concern myself with appearances. I take care of body because of my professional dance career and my love of exercise and health.

DecMikashimota likes this.
  6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Narcissistic people believe they are more special than others and tend to believe they know more as well. Often they think they also deserve sprcial treatment. No. I am not narcissistic.

7. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think more people have become really self absorbed these past few years, they often post revealing selfies of themselves in social media. This might be a narcissistic trait. I do love myself of course but not in narcissistic way.

8. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes! It is so easy to be narcissist thanks to all the technology we have available. I look at the people who take selfie shots of themselves and videos on YouTube, and you can't tell them they are not stars. I love watching YouTube videos, but I get very annoyed:mad: when the person wants to shake their butts left and right and make googly eyes at the camera instead of just giving me the information posted in the title. I have done a few videos and it's easy for me to get happy when I get a lot of views. In my mind, I am thinking wow, they are looking at ME! :rolleyes::cool::rolleyes:

9. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Don't mistake the regular narcissism with the personality disorder. You might find it somewhat surprissing what are
    the usual disorder's traits:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance.
    2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, or ideal love.
    3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
    4. Requires excessive admiration, is highly susceptible to flattery.
    5. Has a sense of entitlement.
    6. Is interpersonally exploitative.
    7. Lack empathy:unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
    8. Believes that others are envious of him or her.
    9. Shows arrogant, haughty [rude and abusive] behaviors or attitudes.

A narcissist sociopath would feature most of those traits. In an exaggerated manner, somewhat histrionic or ludicrous, a dictator personality cult is a better example of this instead of a dumb teenager taking photos in front of a mirror, the former is a psychopath, the latter is a weak minded person following a modern trend to gain identity and recognition.

10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think that media could have something to do with it over all. When you think about it mostly everything you see on reality shows involve narcissistic personalities. Realizing that we all have to breath the same air can help us to live fuller lives actually. We can always learn from each other and should give each other what we expect in return.

Deeishere likes this.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Narcissist people are every where, thanks to the evolution and development of social media. When there was no facebook, people did not publicly flaunted themselves. Now that there is Facbook,people share their personal stuffs. When there was no Twitter, people did not ask other people publicly to check out their works, today people publicly invite other people on Twitter to say good things about them.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm a loner, I neither care about or for other people, I've been let down too many times by others that I prefer to spend my time on my own.
    in a SHTF event other people have to look after themselves and I will look after myself.
    the only one thing on the list I agree with is no.7: lack of empathy, I no longer-because of my life experiences-give a damn about anyone else.

13. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It has been said that we are living in a narcissist culture now, certainly our prime minister is a narcissist , & probably the rest of our totally corrupt government. I suppose this could easily lead to people looking after number one & to hell with the rest, certainly I am feeling more that way now than earlier. I find myself in a minority of people who want to sack our government with no chance of doing that, but I can't say that I am a narcissist, I do still care about other people.
    Keith.

14. DecMikashimota

8/23

Blog Posts:
    I get what it is that you are stating, yet there are individuals who have so many of these qualities. How I winded up in association with one who had numerous facebook pages and posted on every one of them almost simultaneously as different made up entities, for the likes. Continually trusting that they were entitled to a specific amount of attention, or they felt not sufficiently given consideration or regard and was vicious by communicating with the majority of my friends against me. Perhaps a selfie taking, self centered teen won't appear as severe, but mind you rather that this individual was giving off an impression of being normal taking senseless selfies online on her first real Facebook page yet later on I discovered she had many of them more than 20, some were made just to stimulate individuals sexually through erotic jokes, poems and pictures others spread rumors rapidly and talked in rude undertones about other individuals. She seemed normal, but when I asked her why she needed all of these pages, each having a huge number of viewers in the 10,000s - 1,000000s, She seemed deluded and even addicted to all of the replies and likes. When I no longer showed her attention, she started deceiving of my friends and they took her side, this must be the scariest thing I have ever seen somebody do and get away with as if they were completely innocent. I do not think that it is normal or mentally healthy to have so many outlets to get attention. Fake relationships do not make up for real ones, which is why my turning away from this individual sparked such a reaction. I was made out to seem unemotional and heartless. It seems to me that we do not know how harmful all of this is and that we are providing a society that camouflages these sorts of personalities and manufactures an environment that makes it appear as normal.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  15. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:

That is truly sad, I have experienced something like this before. Not so much the narcissism part but the addiction to social media. If it is because of all of the like buttons and things of that nature then I probably am exhibiting some form of narcissism as well.

16. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Addiction to social media is a very real thing these days. The Like button systems is so common among certain social network companies because it can have a euphoric effect on mind of people who are accustomed to this false sense of gratification. It seems to me that social media is an example of society being a "Giant Social Experiment," that measures cause and effect in order to learn how to manipulate people.

17. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it is who you are or not necessarily you but in general. I rarely look myself in the mirror and I do not think I am beautiful or that it matters. It is just a state of mind that I have about this. This is nothing to be afraid of or scared at any point. You are just annoying sometimes, :), honestly, and sometimes self absorbed but other than that narcissistic people are pretty much harmless. My cousin and my sister are both narcissists. When they get together they take over 50 pictures of themselves for a night. They constantly check their hair and use their big ass phones as a mirror. I find that very time consuming and I like to spend my time better.

18. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely agree that technology and social media are contributing to the decline of actual social behaviors. I think this decline is where the increase of sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies are coming from. I think its a terrifying concept, and it will only get worse for the next generation.

19. DecMikashimota

8/23

Blog Posts:
    Sort of think the people in charge of social media sites should be held accountable if the parents of narcissistic teens felt certain social networks caused their child's abnormal behavior. There's probably a disclaimer that you agree to when signing up that no one really pays attention to though that over rules any legal action anyway. The irony is that the parents are possibly too self absorbed with keeping up with social media themselves to notice.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    AnnaBanana likes this.
  20. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Why do people think that they can throw this word around so often?
    Okay, there are some crazy people out there but that does not mean that everyone is affected in the same way.
    In hindsight, it could just be that society is becoming insane itself,
    Or maybe everyone else' normal is just different from yours.

21. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    There must be some sort of disclaimer we've all scanned over and ignored just as you say. I try to avoid social media, but everyone is so attached to their phones now, its hard to not feel as if I'm a part of the problem. I need my phone for certain things involving my school. I feel like a turd every time I have to check it.

22. DecMikashimota

8/23

Blog Posts:
    There is nothing wrong with using your phone, especially if you are using it for important matters so don't feel bad. Don't let how much of a phone Nazi I am get to you. I haven't paid my cell phone bill since last year and I feel liberated. Now the house phone, or E-mails are the main ways to get in touch with me. Mobile phones are still great for emergency calls.

AnnaBanana likes this.
  23. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is why I enjoy watching regular, ordinary people on Youtube. No frills or fanfare. I like when people are just themselves and no drama. I have learned so much. Call me simple, but I like everyday things like people recording themselves on vacation or taking their kids to the park. NO drama, yelling screaming, fighting and all the stuff "reality TV stars" are told to do.

24. Tshaka

Tshaka New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    No I am not a narcissist. Unless you are in the one-tenth of the top 1 percent then there is no reason for anyone to be a narcissist. The most intelligent people I have ever met have also been the most humble. I truly believe that people who have low self-esteem use narcissism as a shield for their own shortcomings. In a society where people are constantly posting up selfies of themselves on Facebook and social media 24/7 speaks to the ever-growing narcissism that has permeated our society and our culture. I have always been a self-effacing person and being a narcissist is not part of my DNA.

25. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to say I'm not a narcissist, even if I have to ignore the selfie I am using as an avatar to my left. I don't have a facebook page, at least.

26. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I may have had a touch of narcissism in my younger days, especially when I had an above-average physique and a head of hair. However, Father Time has disabused me of any thoughts of vanity so I am just satisfied with the way that I am.

27. MrsVanWinkle

MrsVanWinkle New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    As far as I understand, narcissism is a mental condition, and it isn't caused by environmental factors. If you have it, you are, I think, born with it. And the likelihood of a narcissist actually admitting to having this condition seems fairly low to me. I was married to someone who was mildly narcissistic, and his sister was full blown. His mother had those tendencies too. I think it runs in families.