Are you mentally prepared to die?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by lexinonomous, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It sounds a bit morbid, but it can become your reality. When making the choice to put yourself in a survival situation, there are consequences and challenges that come along with your decision. In some cases, death is a possibility. This is why it's so important to educate yourself on survival prior to making the decision to live off the grid. There are many people that do not think about death being an option, when it is a very possible outcome.

Are you mentally prepared to face the possibility of death?
    Do you think you'd be able to handle a life or death situation?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have already in the past experienced life threatening situations, & on one of those occasions I was forced to face the immediate possibility of dying. But death is not something that I will accept willingly, ever.
    PS. We have been living off the grid for roughly 40 years now. I do not see this as a life threatening situation.
    Keith.

3. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    No, it's not morbid but it is reality. However, death is a part of life so I don't really see any situation more threatening than the other. I totally agree with the Mod above, to go willingly is not an option. There are all kinds of scenarios that we face on a daily basis that could result in death from walking across traffic and being hit by a bus to a fatal car accident to a life threatening disease or simply just being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Stuff happens, I've made peace with whatever happens will happen. But if you push me in a corner, I won't be easy prey and will definitely come out swinging. It all goes back to "survival of the fittest" mentality. I've seen prey turn themselves into the predator to protect themselves, so I definitely don't see why we, as humans, can't.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    This brings up the idea of fear. I cannot let fear paralyze me. Knowing that ultimate outcomes are in God's hands, frees me to concentrate on what I need to do in a situation, without a terrible amount of paralyzing fear. We don't generally choose to put ourselves into a survival situation. But we are thrust into circumstances beyond our control. I can function in a crisis. I will do my best to survive, God willing. And I will accept the outcome.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    DaBozzLady likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I am already on borrowed time, I consider myself to be lucky to still be sucking air!
    My fear of death has left me
    But I ain't going down without a damn hard fight!

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Something you might find interesting DaBozzLady. I used to be a security operative & bodyguard, & I remember many years ago being told by an old hand one time that women were the most dangerous, because one could never predict what they would do.
    Keith.

DaBozzLady likes this.
  7. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I always found the philosophy of ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus interesting. He said that people shouldn't be concerned about and/or afraid of death because when you are alive there is no death and you don't know what death feels like, and once you die you can't feel sorrow for it because you are gone, so the fear of death (and being mentally prepared for it) is pointless to him. Still, one's death leaves a lot of consequences for their loved ones and that is a big problem. Thankfully, I was never in a serious life-threatening situation.

8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Thankfully, I was never in a serious life-threatening situation.

You will be as no one gets out alive!

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I love life so maybe that's the reason why I don't think of death. But my husband who is now 61 have come to terms with death. He always say that he is mentally prepared for death since it is inevitable. He had learned to accept that life is only borrowed and it will be taken away from us in due time. My husband has anxiety issues before and in fact, he has medications in case there is an anxiety attack. Maybe that frame of mind has helped him overcome that anxiety problems because it's been a long time since he last had taken medication.

My close call was some 10 years ago when I suffered extreme dizziness that I suspected of something else. That was the time I was discovered to have hypertension at the young age of 40. I couldn't accept it at first but when the doctor insisted that I take maintenance medication otherwise I am exposing myself to a possible stroke, I relented. To me, that was a life threatening situation.

10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If your mentally prepared to die your as good as dead. This is a bad mindset for survival. If you face a life and death situation being optimistic
    is the best choice. It's never advisable to think about death, this is the basic law of attraction. If you keep thinking about death you'll end up attracting it.

11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Being mentally prepared to die and wanting to die are two different things!
    It is more about fear than anything else!
    The first time I nearly died there was sobbing and I nearly drowned in everyones emotions.
    I became fearful of dieing and the fear itself nearly killed me in my next close call.
    after that I met an old guy a WWII vet! One arm no legs and a disfigured face.
    We got talking he said he no longer feared death but celebrated the fact he was still alive.
    He knew he was lucky to be alive and every year he celebrated making it through the war alive!
    My attitude changed I now do not fear death but will stare it down!

12. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have always wondered about the thinking of those people who carry out suicide bombings. Were they mentally prepared for those actions? Personally, I wouldn't be involved in that type of activity because I know I would not be mentally prepared for that. There are instances when mental preparedness is thrust on a person where they hastily have to do something their life or those of children or loved ones the action that they may have to engage in could mean preservation of life or result in death, however, not taking the action would mean sure death. In this event, I would have to be prepared because there is no other viable option. Outside of this, even though death is inevitable I would not be prepared on a normal basis unless I may be suffering from a critical condition.

13. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    When you look upon death as not a viable option, is very likely to always look for a way to survive a life threatening situation. Of course, death is as natural as breathing, but preparing yourself to die could hinder you to see another options. Death is so final and certain, thinking about suitable actions to ensure your survival is trickier.

14. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Keith indeed. Just think, this may be reaching, but look at all of the Chinese movies. Women were the ones in the background but ended up being the predators and/or killers, i.e. the secret weapon. Almost similar to some methods used in cultures today. Some don't think of women as threats and I think that's to their detriment. I've seen 100 lb women take down men twice their size. Now, that's not to say that all women can do that, or even men for that matter. I've seen a man run from a fight, so like we said above, it's definitely about who wants it more and who is willing to fight for it. Thank you for the kudos!!

15. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    One can be mentally prepared to die but when they come face to face with death they'll do whatever it takes to survive. I think it's wiser to accept the possibility that you might die rather be prepared to die because no one really is ever 100% prepared to die at any time.

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we are all mortal, at some point we will all die, there is nothing we can do about it, its a fact of life, I don't dwell on it and I put it to the back of my mind, life is for living.
    I intend to survive for as long as I possibly can and that includes after the apocalypse.

17. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it depends on the situation. If someone had a terminal illness then it would be helpful for them to start preparing mentally for death. If it is a sudden life threatening situation then your body will probably take over before your mind has a chance to prepare. I spend much of my working life caring for people who are dying and have been there many times at the end, this has helped me become less sensitive about death in general but I know that I am still not mentally prepared for my own death or that of my loved ones. I'm not sure that anyone can ever really be prepared for death.

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if someone is constantly thinking about death in a post emergency situation then they may not do well, and may actually fail.

19. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Too right there.
    In a fight and I have been in many and varied! I never think about getting killed I think only about killing my opponent or neutralising them!
    There is no OOH I might get hurt!
    Basicly I do whatever I need to do to impose my will on them! All my fights except the first have been very short and sharp!
    The first I defended myself due to fear of getting hurt! this was by far the longest fight I have ever had, I suffered multiple injuries and only won by default as the other guy slipped on my spilt blood and cracked his head! Fear will get you dead!

20. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Not really.I really hate to think that i will someday ever die. In fact in some occasions, i like to think that when i become even older, there will technologies preventing us from dying or making us a bit younger.I know it's silly, but it just shows that my fear of dying is real, and i want to make sure i enjoy life to it's full potential.

21. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm not at all prepared to die. I never have been, and I don't believe I ever will be. There is a very definite survival instinct in me that would never go away. The idea of dying is horrible for me, perhaps because I don't believe that anything comes after all of this. This mind and these thoughts are the only things I really have, and that there's nothing I can do to stop the eventual reality that I'm going to lose them is really uncomfortable for me to think about.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't fear it, I don't want to die, but there isn't a single thing I can do about it, its a fact of being mortal, we all die, like they say "enjoy your life, no one gets out of it alive".

23. NormaD

NormaD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think a lot of people these days have made peace with the prospect of death. We all have a fear of the unknown, as human beings, but death is an unavoidable part of our lives and for someone who spends quite a lot of time preparing for possible scenarios that might result in death, I think we are now conditioned to face the possibility of death.

24. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Of course, when it comes to fighting for your life and working hard to survive the idea of possibly dying is very real and scary.
    I guess it is something that we have to accept even if we do not like it. This is connected with having fear but with a certain awareness and I think being aware of its possibility is very important. Personally, it would be very hard for me to have to leave my children behind and I hope it does not happen while they are still very young.

25. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Personally, the idea of death still terrifies me, but i guess I'm more terrified of how i will die instead of the death itself? I don't even know if i'm making any sense LOL I've accepted that we are all going to die, that's basically the only truth in humanity that's been really obvious to everyone. I don't really let my mind dwell on this morbid thought for more than a few seconds, i think it's best to just let the chips fall where they may.