Backpacking Sleeping Pad

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Tom Williams, Oct 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Was gave one light easy to carry. Yes so i took it to the wilderness area for a two night fishing trip i prepare my tent spot by the old boy scout handbook allways have and will now being a marine i can sleep anywhere but that mat just didnt work for me im going back to my pool matress lighter easier to carry and alot more comfy

2. bleeding heart

bleeding heart Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:
    The one I had was, honestly, not much better than sleeping on the ground. It just wasnt worth the space to carry it with me.

3. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I use a thin foam one. Holds up really good and seems to be as comfortable as the air ones.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I sleep on a bed of sticks gathered from the forest floor. It keeps me up off the cold ground & stops me from getting wet if the rain should flow through the shelter.
    Keith.
    5d98add6f8a42ede57fcc31db0f1a73a.jpeg

Its Evan G likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I just dug hip holes and just slept on a blanket on canvass on the ground when I was young. If you will dig little holes for your hips and in my case shoulders it is pretty surprising how comfortable the ground can be. Your body isn't flat and if you will work with that you don't wake up in the morning feeling like someone beat you up in your sleep. Now I sleep on a really nice double height air mattress that is almost as comfortable as home.

6. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Ya you can make a half decent bed with not much effort working the ground

7. Its Evan G

Its Evan G Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Great idea, gonna have to remember this one.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the 80s I used a piece of thick foam I bought for £5 from my local market, these days I use a commercial sleeping mat I bought second hand for £1.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a foam matress its comfy but a pain to carry i use it in pickup bed its nice there

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Another option that I have tried with some real nice results is a hammock. There is a bit of a learning curve to them but once you get used to them they are a great sleeping platform. I have one with a built on mosquito net that is very comfortable. The secret to sleeping in a hammock is to sleep in it at a diagonal rather than straight. This lets you sleep flat on your side, back or even your stomach. If you set it up right with a tarp cover it is great rain or shine and in a sleeping bag even nice on cool nights.

Hammocks are especially nice here because of the insect issues. Fire ants are no joke and they can and WILL find a way into a tent and make your life a misery. If the weather is nice a hammock can be a sleeping system that you can carry in your coat pocket.

You can make your own for very little. I made a nice one out of two pieces of rip stop nylon sewn together to give me a double layer and then just tied a knot in the end with a loop to attach my lines to. The nylon came in a 60" width and I made it our of two pieces that were about 12' long. It will hold about 600 lbs and is folded and stored in a gallon zip lock bag.

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have the canvas jungle from nam serves me well in warm weather i prefer a tent with floor in cold as you can get warmer quicker i use a pup tent with quilted movers blankets to insulate it and a lean to tarp shelter to wind break it better

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one to discover the value of movers blankets. I have a big one in my truck for emergency use. They are priced right and warm as can be for dry cover.

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Harbour freight moveing blankets and wool blankets for price are a great value! I admit i shop there alot buy blankets or ammo boxes and get tarp for free there 9x12 canvas drop cloth is a good buy allso waterproofed it makes a great shelter

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, That is EXACTLY where I got the72" X 80" camo moving/utility blanket that I carry in my truck. For 11 bucks you can't beat it. They are giving away the smaller ones right now with any purchase. Their wool blanket is dirt cheap and works fine once you air it out and get rid of the funky smell. That is what is in my wifes car.

15. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ive never saw a coupon for free blankett but coupons for them make them cheap my granddaughter has a small blue one she takes everywhere its her sleepie blanket she is 3 atm and carries her pack everywhere

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a Harbor Freight app on my phone that has every weeks freebies and sale coupons. There is always a 20% off coupon on it. They get the stuff right off my phone. It's great and you don't ever have to carry your catalog with you. I also have a similar app for Hobby Lobby that always has a 40% off coupon that I use on 550 paracord.