Basic Survival Skills We All Need To Learn

Discussion in 'Safety' started by ellajanelle, May 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Based on personal experience, I consider the following some of the basic skills we all need to learn at some point, especially in case of emergency:

-Swimming
    -Cooking
    -Starting a fire
    -Driving
    -First Aid
    -Hunting

There are soooo much more basic, helpful skills out there. What are other basic skills you think might come in handy during emergencies?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    scavenging, hand sewing, basic carpentry skills, cook, gardener/grower.

3. Tessa

Tessa Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Raising and slaughtering animals for food, fishing, foraging, and basic mechanical repairs are all skills that are handy to have. Knowing how to spin and/or weave would be nice, too.

Not as critical but still potentially valuable: soap-making. I can already make soap using commercially available lye, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of making my own lye using wood ashes. Still, "luxury" items like soap might end up in short supply over time.

4. BigD

BigD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Some of the basic survival skills are outlined in the original Boy Scouts manual. You can find it online through the Gutenberg Project for free. It covers some skills like basic carpentry, first aid, knot tying, etc. It's very easy to read and includes pictures for some of the carpentry stuff.

5. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I do not know how to swim but I have tried so many time to overcome the fear of drawning. I do understand the importance of knowing how to swim for survival. The rest I'm good at but I need to learn to swim ASAP.

6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Basic medical knowledge to go along with your first aid would be useful. It's great if you know how to make a sling for a broken arm but if you don't know how to detect and treat the early signs of dehyrdration and related problems you will run into trouble!

7. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    A good level of fitness is needed to be able to do things like climb, scale obstacles, lift/pull heavy objects etc. Being able to run for an hour or two is also a basic skill in my opinion.

8. LOUIE RODRIGUEZ

LOUIE RODRIGUEZ New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    1. Keeping yourself calm to be able to think of what suppose to do in a situation.
    2. Learn how to breath.
    3. Then comes those basic knowledge we learn.

9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I hope not Kev because I can't run anymore :(
    Keith.